Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Greaver

Overclocking Question

Hey people

I have a Phenom II X2 550 BE that I unlocked into a X4 with no issues (6 hours stable Prime95 torture) that has been running mint for 2 years but with an upgrade not far away and limitations with my casting hobby I finally decided to try my hand at a little overclocking.

After doing some research I discovered that I could increase the multiplier without fucking with everything else (unless I have been led down the garden path) and I only needed a little extra grunt so I have been toying with overclocking today.

Using the AMD tool I raised the multiplier from 15.5x (3.1ghz standard at around 1.36v and 45 degrees idle) in 100mhz increments till half an hour of Prime95 bought the main CPU temp (roughly 5 degrees hotter than the cores seem to get) to 63 degrees at 3400mhz and an average voltage of 1.4v (occasionally flitting towards 1.45v but never over)

My question is, how is it that I can have my CPU maxed out encoding etc and yet the temps only hit 50 degrees from 3200mhz to 3400mhz, then only a max of 53 degrees at 3500mhz (17.5x, 1.42-1.45v) yet in Prime95 they are hitting 60 or so at 3400mhz (various forum posters claim 60 is the limit for the these chips although others say higher)

Is Prime95 just that good at raping cpus, hence if I only crank my cpu up to the 3500mhz spec for casts it will be fine?

Apologies for the nooby question I am just scared of screwing shit up lol

If there is anything inherently wrong with what I have done above please tell me also, all I have done is disable cool n' quiet and then the above and no more, I haven't touched the ht bus or ram or anything

Thanks in advance

EDIT: The encoding is Streaming TF2 as 480p flash while I control the spectate camera and record the TF2 source in 720p in high quality - I am dropping just under my desired fps hence the overclock - that 400mhz makes a HUGE difference even if it isn't technically a huge upgrade

Edited by TheGrEaVeR

If the max its reaching is 63c then I wouldn't worry about it too much, though it is starting to approach the danger zone with AMD CPU's if it go's much higher.

Stress testing app's usually stress the processor far more than any standard workload ever would, which is why there can be a difference in temps.

Thanks for that mate ^_^

Was just scare I'd missed something there

Either way I will have OCCT open monitoring the temps while I am doing my intensive stuff

yeah i get the same thing too, highest temps in prime95 yet never really get it that hot in games or encoding, that was with my old Q6600 though.... had that upto 80 degrees plenty of times with prime95. I havent been OCing the 2500K just yet though...

When I did my first OC I used a range of different stress testers.

but at under 70 your in the clear.