Bala_Matt

New Headphones - need help

I'm thinking of spoiling myself with some new headphones. I have a Logitech desk mike with which I am happy. Therefore I don't need them built in to the headphones.

I want them primarily for FPS gaming, mainly BF3.

The trouble is it's hard to get to try out headphones. I have quite a big head and big ears. Also I want the audio quality to exceed my aging current headphones.

I currently have a steelseries headset, it was the first ones in the country. It looks like the 5Hv2 but I think mine might have been before then, probably no longer available.

Lastly I want open ear phones so that I can hear my surrounds. I need to hear if my young daughters wake up! I'd consider 2nd hand (especially if I can try them out) but brand new I'm probably looking at a top price of $200. Could maybe stretch up a bit more if I convinced my wife that I wouldn't need another set FOREVER :)

In Summary

Open ear cans

Microphone optional

Up to $200

Better than my Steelseries ?5Hv2? (maybe older)

Thoughts.....

Since you said open, I can highly recommend the Alessandro MS-1:

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

Free delivery straight from the US.

Sounds good (excuse the pun). Can you compare to others and/or have you heard the Steelseries 5Hv2 or similar?

When I say open headphones, it is just so I can hear sounds from the room (if volume not turned up too far).

How do you get free delivery. I went to the website, clicked buy, went to checkout, picked Australia and it added another $15 to the cost.......

Damn, really? I bought some only a month or two ago, was free shipping.

They are VERY much open headphones. Can hear bloody everything, it's annoying. Handy sometimes, but would be nice to be in a more immersive environment.

Good sound quality for the money, low in bass, but that's probably just a factor of the openness. I've been meaning to change the pads because I don't really like them, I'd prefer them to be bigger with holes in, instead of flat ones that sit on my ears. That's like a $5 change, but I'm just lazy.

They are very light, barely feels like you're wearing them. Occasionally can compress onto your ears causing a bit of discomfort, but then I just bend them out a bit.

The phones themselves are on a swivelly extendy pole piece which does the job. Unfortunately they can sort of roll backwards off your ears in certain positions.

The cable is very thick and high quality. It is quite short however. This is usually a plus for me, because most of the headphones I've owned have stupid five metre long cables that are just plain inconvenient.

2 things in my ongoing headphone quest....

1) definitely no free shipping on the MS-1 etc. They said it's to ensure better customer experience.... Tracking..... Etc

2) I finally got to try some headphones. They were all Sennheiser's from $50 to $200 at JB HiFi. I didn't get to try gaming but sampled a wide selection of different music from my iPhone using 256kbs AAC formats.

I love the HD280 Pros, they cost $199. I know that I said I wanted open ears but these 'phones (closed not open) impressed me enough to not care.

I can really tell the stereo placement of sounds in the mix. I believe that this is called soundstage and that this means good direction sense in games like FPS.

I loved the idea of the MS-1 but EVERY review I read mentioned poor soundstage.

Anyone suggest a set of headphones I should try committing to a purchase?

Thanks

Edited by Bala_Matt

hey mate, i used to have ths steel series 5Hv2 myself and now have the alessandro ms1

no competition

ms1 does have small soundstage, very upfront sound, so if your focus is gaming you might want to look at a audio technica AD700 for example which has a massive soundstage apparently and also very detailed, but for music listneing not as exciting as the ms1, but for music my god the ms1 is so good especially for the price, the ms1 is actually more revealing than my yamaha hs50m studio monitors

and there are mods to improve soundstage, google up ms1000 mod

I use these on my PC for both music and gaming.

Love em.

They should suit a large noggin comfortably. (mine is pretty big)

They are of open circumaural design, so very comfy and you'll still hear the little takkers if they wake.

Yeah I was actually going to get the AD 7 or 900s, purely for the soundstage, and sealedness. One similarly named model is sealed anyway... VERY cheap on Amazon, but of course:

I'm sorry, this product does not ship to your current location

Oh well then I guess my money doesn't ship to YOUR current location. Bastards.

Those ATH-AD700s look very tempting, reviews are all positive.

CptnChrysler I see you went for the AD400s. Did you try the AD-700s?

I ask because I see they are less than $20 more than the AD-400s and that the AD-500s are also in the same $130 to $150 price bracket (Oz online retailers). The reviews I have read all suggest the 700s are better all round.

Is there a difference that you think I should consider? I appreciate a gamers perspective.

Thanks,

Matt

I didn't try the other variants.

Back when I bought, the price difference was larger and I couldn't justify any more cash on the more expensive models.

I recon the 400s are producing better sound than my tired old ears can discern anyway. I've never regretted buying them.

I didn't try the other variants.

Back when I bought, the price difference was larger and I couldn't justify any more cash on the more expensive models.

I recon the 400s are producing better sound than my tired old ears can discern anyway. I've never regretted buying them.

Thanks for the feedback!

I ordered the MS-1's only just over a week ago and got free shipping, I must of been one of the last.

On saying that, don't buy the MS-1 for gaming, they have zero soundstage! Every footstep, gun fire crackle, explosions will sound like they happened at your feet. As mention look up MS1000 mod, will add tons of soundstage (well here's hoping, I just received my jumbo pads).

Now if you really want some great headphones, check out Beyerdynamics DT880. Abit above your price range but really they make that up in every aspect, huge soundstange, great fidelity, light bass (but not lacking), comfy and open (don't leak sound as much as the ms-1)

Edited by SoaS

Thanks SoaS, but that price would be too much even if I got a free lap dance every night for the month, from the Gold Coast Meter Maids!

Jumping from $150 to $399 just isn't going to happen for me. Donations gratefully accepted though.

I'm using the MS1s in Skyrim, they're pretty damn good. I keep thinking things are happening in the house, but nope, just the game.

Though Skyrim takes the 'having two ears' thing too seriously, if you look directly at someone while they're talking, you can't hear shit. You have to 'turn an ear' at them to hear it properly.

I'm using the MS1s in Skyrim, they're pretty damn good. I keep thinking things are happening in the house, but nope, just the game.

Though Skyrim takes the 'having two ears' thing too seriously, if you look directly at someone while they're talking, you can't hear shit. You have to 'turn an ear' at them to hear it properly.

I agree, the lack of soundstage doesn't take away a great deal of immersion. I don't have a good reference though.

I wouldn't mod the MS-1s, they're already as good as you're going to get. Most mods are performed by self proclaimed experts who have no formal knowledge of sound reproduction. They make it sound different, and they automatically attribute it to "better". If you want a pair of headphones with good soundstage, buy one with good soundstage, and invest in a decent source.

hey SoaS, where are you getting the distancers?

Harmonic: i played bf3 with the ms1's, if you can get over the small soundstage then they too sound damn good!

Cyb3r: i actually got to listen to a pair of ms1000's (thanks to a chap on the headphonics forum) and admittedly they did sound pretty good to me, it's almost like listening to the same music in a bigger room but the music filled it as nicely as it did the smaller room, very lush sound, tho definitely not as forward sounding as stock, if that made sense lol

hey SoaS, where are you getting the distancers?

Harmonic: i played bf3 with the ms1's, if you can get over the small soundstage then they too sound damn good!

Cyb3r: i actually got to listen to a pair of ms1000's (thanks to a chap on the headphonics forum) and admittedly they did sound pretty good to me, it's almost like listening to the same music in a bigger room but the music filled it as nicely as it did the smaller room, very lush sound, tho definitely not as forward sounding as stock, if that made sense lol

I picked up 2 PVC 40mm x 32mm reducers from my local melco. The actual ID is 42mm but 2 layers of felt should bring it back the the recommended 40mm ID.

Just fyi this mod is complete reversible too, your not actually cutting up these nice ms-1's just sticking on sound chambers.

yea i got the pads too, but never got around to the distancer

i was planning to just blu tac the distancer to the chamber like i saw some people did reading thru the head fi thread on the mod

Sounds good.

Where did you get the pads from, I had a hard time finding them ended up getting them from jaben.com.au for $45 delivered.