Sign in to follow this  
raistlin

Project Green Dragon

By the Way that top fittings pic is $300 worth and theres more coming lol.

Wait, you mean that it cost $300 just for the compression fittings and 45degree adapters?! FUUUUCKK!

I thought twice about spending $10 on two 90degree fittings for my loops upgrade....

Why not just use good ol' barbs?? Done right they look just as good as compression fittings anyway, and are less likely to start spouting leaks or failing. Not to mention they cost piss all.

The Barbs can be good but the Clamps is what lets them down and I cant stand the looks of them.

The 45 degree rotary angles are $22 each

The rotary straights are $19 each

The low profile stop fittings are $4 each

The Fill/Drain port is $9.50

Im also getting 4x 90 degree triple rotary @ $20 each

The Barbs can be good but the Clamps is what lets them down and I cant stand the looks of them.

The 45 degree rotary angles are $22 each

The rotary straights are $19 each

The low profile stop fittings are $4 each

The Fill/Drain port is $9.50

Im also getting 4x 90 degree triple rotary @ $20 each

Yeah, just priced all that up on PCCG, crazy.

Should have checked out Gammods, their prices look to be a bit better for W/C stuff. That's where I am getting the new gear that I am adding to my loop from.

You don't have to use clamps. If you have 1/2" fittings and 7/16" ID tube you can get away with just the barbs. If you plan to use 1/2" ID tube, then you can use good old cable ties, or these style clamps as opposed to the oldskool worm-drive ones (which look a bit shit). The nylon ratchet ones are pretty hopeless, are a right bitch to remove, and don't tighten that far really.

Yeah I have used Gammods in the past, its a one man operation and can take a while to get delivered. Also found that he goes out of stock on a lot of items and doesnt have a big range. But at least hes back now, hes been sick and his business was on Hold for ages.

As for the Clamps I just dont like them. I also dont like stretching the tubing to fit without a clamp.

The best Clamps I have ever seen are these but they only come in black, red, blue & Silver. If they came in Green, Id do a Barb/Clamp combo.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12520/ex...&mv_pc=2945

I just did something I regret, I added up what I have spent so far = $3831.

the other thing about barbs is that they still cost about $5 each anyway, then another $1-2 for a clamp.

i spent a bit more than i budgeted for on my fittings, but i see it s more of an investment, as i will be able to re use them many times.

if you want to talk budget, i've seen a few peeps using cheap barbs and cable ties for clamps.. :)

I'm just using cheap barbs. My kit came with 6 of these suckers, and I will be using these clamps for piece of mind more than anything, as I am using 7/16" tube. The kit came with 6 of the nylon ratchet clamps, but they are shit so at 75c a piece, I got 8 black spring steel ones. Also got two more of the above barbs for the new radiator that's going in. Should look nice over the black tube that I ordered :D

That sucks about the res, my XSPC one has grooves.

By the Way that top fittings pic is $300 worth and theres more coming lol.

Hope you didnt order them off PCCG, you can get the same ones that PCCG charge $20 for from gammods for cheaper.

Doh, just noticed that has been mentioned. Should read the whole thread before commenting.

Weird, they used to.

Or maybe it was TheKoolroom, but yeah I paid $11each for 4 of them a while back and then found them on either gammods or thekoolroom for $3 each.

Guess no one but pccg has them anymore, but I definitely wouldn't pay $300 for a bunch of compression fittings. Aesthetically I spose they look okay, but to me they're not very practical as even the slightest knock if the tube is warm can cause them to come loose and leak. Learnt that the hard way.

For clamps and elbows I once bought them all from Bunnings. Cheap as. Just not pretty. You may find you'll want to paint some parts yourself though paint will flake off some parts when you need to undo things in the future.

At least you haven't done my mistake of buying $800 of kit on pre-order then forget which store it was through. Haha. Perhaps I didn't really put the order in. Have bought so much lately. I thought teh order was with jpcomputersolutions but I can't see anything in the history of my account there. So now I'm waiting until the end of this week to see if anything arrives before I put another order in. And then I might have doubled up and need to sell some pumps. Haha.

Problem: Theres a 4mm gap between the radiator and the fans that go on the top part of the case because the part of the case it attaches to has a coutersunk screw hole. (see Pic)

Solution: Make a rubber template that fits on top of the radiator that will get rid of the gap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by raistlin

I just ground the countersunk holes off.

Would be a bad idea to do that, look at the first pic, its not the holes themselves but almost 1cm around them. If I did that the Radiator would not be stable, it would be able to move around to much. Not to mention the bar is 1mm too. The way I have done it leaves no gap.

i used a similar method to mount my rad in bigger than desirable holes, 3x140mm gaskets, yours looks much nicer though, I may copy that if I ever dismantle it long enough.

i can pick the case up by the rad and swing it around no worries. haven't tried this since it contained hardware though....

I don't like coolants, I'm yet to find a good one and I've tried a few, including a really expensive car coolant that I can't remember the name of, $80 for 4l premixed. It worked well, but ended up staining the rads and tubes.

Same as some $15/5ml coolant mix that I got off the koolroom.

Drop of fungicide, sliver of silver and you'll have clean water for yonks.

Just had a look around for reviews of Feser coolant.

Im still going to use it and I will do a check on the fluid after 3 months of use. If it stains the tubing I can just get more, if it clogs the waterblocks I will clean them and change to distiled water with silver.

Its hard to judge if it has faults or not. Once I have had it in my system, I will have a better Idea. Some say it clogs up, others say it doesnt (see YT vids)

Heres 2 youtube videos I found on it.

When researching my WC project I found that everyone had a different opinion and everyone usually thinks theirs is right.

I decided just to pretty much take all advice with a grain of salt and just do my own thing, if I do have problems, I will know why.

I think the people having problems with coolant might be people with older more restrictive blocks or many mixed metals in the loop.

I can do the same thing as the guy in that video in about 6 months and see how clogged up my block is, if at all.