Sign in to follow this  
Scootsie

GPU Cooling

Hi guys, just picked up an XFX 8800GT, but it seems that for some reason this card doesn't believe in PWM fan control, so the 2 wire fan constantly spins at 100% (So much for my silent pc...).

Anyway, I'm now looking at replacing the stock cooler with a Thermalright HR-03GT, so I can attach a fan that will run quietly even at full speed (and bring my temps down of course). Thermalright mention on their website that a 92mm fan is typically used with this cooler, but it is possible to attach a 120mm fan using an "Ultra-120 Fan Clip". As I don't have this fan clip I'll have to buy one, $9 for two pieces of wire :-\ . Anyway, regardless of that, I was wondering if anyone here was using a HR-03 heatsink, and if so, what fan are you using on it? Any feedback on temperatures/noise would be helpful. Ideally I like the idea of attaching a 120mm Noctua NF-P12 to it, but not sure whether this is a good match.

I haven't got the cooler, however, Noctua make damn good case fans, theyre fans are not that well suited to being attached to heatsinks (except for the Noctua Heatsink NH-U12P something). Maybe look at a scythe fan instead, as they seem to be more reliable and perform better in combination with heatsinks. At least I am pretty sure its a scythe fan, or an s-flex I think.

I don't believe it's possible to use an Ultra 120's clips. However I just used Cable Ties, worked a treat, and is neat :-)

Neither did I at first... scroll to the bottom of this page http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/pro...oler_hr03gt.htm

Do you know what brand\model of fan you're using?

[Edit] Did some searching and found some people have managed to mount 120mm fans with the clips that come with the HR-03 ( http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gtxsy4.jpg ). My reasoning with the Noctua NF-P12 is it's the same cooler that's on my Noctua CPU HSF. I do recall though that atomic did a fan roundup and it didn't perform as well with densely packed fins, but from memory neither did the Scythe (Or was that Nexus... will have to check) fans.

Hi guys, just picked up an XFX 8800GT, but it seems that for some reason this card doesn't believe in PWM fan control, so the 2 wire fan constantly spins at 100% (So much for my silent pc...).

Anyway, I'm now looking at replacing the stock cooler with a Thermalright HR-03GT, so I can attach a fan that will run quietly even at full speed (and bring my temps down of course). Thermalright mention on their website that a 92mm fan is typically used with this cooler, but it is possible to attach a 120mm fan using an "Ultra-120 Fan Clip". As I don't have this fan clip I'll have to buy one, $9 for two pieces of wire :-\ . Anyway, regardless of that, I was wondering if anyone here was using a HR-03 heatsink, and if so, what fan are you using on it? Any feedback on temperatures/noise would be helpful. Ideally I like the idea of attaching a 120mm Noctua NF-P12 to it, but not sure whether this is a good match.

Yup - i use two of these on my 8800 ultras and they cooled it from a idle 70 odd degrees to a 38 degrees idle temp - talk about helping the card.....

I started using two 120mm coolermaster fans, with cable ties, but soon moved to the 90mm Noctua fans - silent and cool, very nice :D utilizing the clips provided.

I don't believe it's possible to use an Ultra 120's clips. However I just used Cable Ties, worked a treat, and is neat :-)

Cant go past the old cable ties - loop em round the heat pipes and Bobs your aunty - 120mm cooling. Like I said tho i moved to the 90mm to be silent plus they fit nicer.

Noctura don't make that good fans, they are still fairly noisy.

Your kidding right?

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=product...ng=en&set=1

Vs

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

click challenged : Noctua : 120mm fan - 1300 RPM, 92,3 m³/h (54.3 CFM) @ 19.8 Db(A)

Scythe : 120mm fan - 1200 RPM, 49.0CFM @ 20.1 DB(A).

So as you can see - noctua has more airflow with 100 RPM more speed and less noise.

I know what I would go....but to be honest - much of a muchness.....

All i know is I have three 120mm fans (one processor, two case) and two 92mm (On the hr-03Gt plus) and its pretty quiet. Its your preference.

conversions : http://www.iprocessmart.com/techsmart/conversions.htm

I started using two 120mm coolermaster fans, with cable ties, but soon moved to the 90mm Noctua fans - silent and cool, very nice :D utilizing the clips provided.

How was the cooling performance affected moving from the 120mm to 92mm fan?

Noctua fans are definitely the way I'd like to go, I've already got two P12's in my system and they're nothing short of fantastic (Plenty of air movement and lovely and quiet). Just trying to decide how large to go, the NF-B9 looks very similar to the NF-P12's, just smaller in size (And about $13 cheaper as I'll need to buy the Ultra 120 fan clips to do things right) but that said, I will spend the extra money if it will drop my temperatures by a reasonable amount.

click challenged : Noctua : 120mm fan - 1300 RPM, 92,3 m³/h (54.3 CFM) @ 19.8 Db(A)

So as you can see - noctua has more airflow with 100 RPM more speed and less noise.

have you ever seen silent x fans?

i dont remember the specs but il just make something up as thats how accurate they were

lets say 1500rpm 15db 100cfm.....

the point is under the right testing conditions the ratings can very greatly so you cant compare fan specs like that

also as far as the db rating goes even if the fan is tested by the same person so the db rating is a exact comparison

different fans make different kinds of noise some are more annoying than others and which is the most annoying can depend on the person

How was the cooling performance affected moving from the 120mm to 92mm fan?

Noctua fans are definitely the way I'd like to go, I've already got two P12's in my system and they're nothing short of fantastic (Plenty of air movement and lovely and quiet). Just trying to decide how large to go, the NF-B9 looks very similar to the NF-P12's, just smaller in size (And about $13 cheaper as I'll need to buy the Ultra 120 fan clips to do things right) but that said, I will spend the extra money if it will drop my temperatures by a reasonable amount.

I just liked the way the 92mm fans clipped onto the heatsinks, the cooling capacity is a little less and there isn't as much airflow over the entire card, but the cooler itself more than makes up for it. I just didnt want the fan hanging over the edge of the card, plus having all the correct fan sizes in place (the 120mm on intake and exhaust and the 92 on the cards) with two of the coolers hanging off my graphics cards, and the Noctua cooler hanging off the CPU makes it look awesome inside.

have you ever seen silent x fans?

i dont remember the specs but il just make something up as thats how accurate they were

lets say 1500rpm 15db 100cfm.....

the point is under the right testing conditions the ratings can very greatly so you cant compare fan specs like that

also as far as the db rating goes even if the fan is tested by the same person so the db rating is a exact comparison

different fans make different kinds of noise some are more annoying than others and which is the most annoying can depend on the person

Yeh i agree - I had SilenX in my last case. I just find that i prefer the Noctau's, i cant really hear them, they seem to have a few features that other fans dont have that makes them inaudiable - like 'cut-outs' on the fan blades etc etc.

Boils down to personal preference i guess - Noctua wins it for me.

I guess there's two things that concern me about using a 120mm fan on the HR-03 GT, the first is a potentially large dead zone over the center of the heatsink from the larger fan, and secondly that the 120mm fan won't seat real well on the card. Do the raised notches (The ones that look like they hold a 92mm fan) interfere with the larger fans at all? Do larger fans sit flat on the card, or do they not seat well on it?

If I can get the stock fan clips to hold the 120mm fan it'll actually work out cheaper than using the 92mm Noctua, hence why I'm interested.

you just strap a 120mm fan on with some zip ties or some string\fishing line and from waht iv read it performs rather well

Oh Hai Scootsie, My mate has the XXX overclocked super crazy mega uber...well you get the point..the card is actually faulty and it cannot control the speed of the fan! So i bought the Thermalright heatsink for him and a simple 92mm quiet fan (here http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...mp;cPath=9_509) It is now cool and quiet, i'm not sure of the exact temps but i remember they were alot better then the stock cooler.

My mate has the XXX overclocked super crazy mega uber...well you get the point..the card is actually faulty and it cannot control the speed of the fan!

I have the same super crazy XXX edition card. The fan speed control isn't faulty, it just doesn't exist! If you examine the card you'll notice the fan supplied is only 2 wires (Hence no PWM speed control). The connector on the card also only has 2 pins, so it looks like they never intended for the speed to be ramped.

Perhaps XFX have done this to prevent users from tampering with the speed and destroying their overclocked GPU's (And why wouldn't we tamper, the thing sounds like a jet taking off and it runs at this speed 24/7 :-\ ). Either way I feel it's a very poor design for what's supposed to be a premium model card. The noise was so great I've actually got my 7800GTX back in my system until I order the new cooler.

After reading over many online reviews and forum topics, I've decided the HR-03 GT isn't for me. There were a few niggling features of it which made it a hard buy at roughly $100 with a suitable fan and delivery. I've just ordered an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2 and a Noctua NF-P12 which I will cable tie to it. Some of the reasons why I went down this path -

• The HR-03 takes up a lot of space, with a fan attached I would lose the use of one of my two PCI slots (There is not enough room below my CPU cooler to mount it the other way)
  • The Accelero's fins don't seem to be as tightly spaced as the HR-03, which is better suited to Noctua fans
  • 120mm fans hang off the edges of the HR-03, mounting a 92mm fan reduces airflow not only to the heatsink, but also the heatsinked ram modules beneath
  • The Accelero worked out to be a good $25 cheaper
Anyway, I should get around to installing it some time in the next few weeks. Hopefully it'll live up to my expectations.