Sign in to follow this  
jdm_com_au

HDMI & S-Video cables

Whilst I am after which brands are better, I'm more interested in any brands to avoid. One of my brothers is after a top brand S-video cable (that's all his ageing home theatre system can handle) and I'm after an average HDMI cable, so my kids can watch Blue ray on the TV via one of my PC's.

HDMI is digital, so usualy if it works it will be the same quality on any cable.

Though I think it is more complicated when you get into long cables.

HDMI is digital, so usualy if it works it will be the same quality on any cable.

Though I think it is more complicated when you get into long cables.

Yep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables

Although no maximum length for an HDMI cable is specified, signal attenuation (dependent on the cable's construction quality and conducting materials) limits usable lengths in practice

I've used Ugly Cable stuff for audio (speaker wire, RCA for stereo, another single RCA for coax digital, optical) and they've been great. Delivered very quickly, no-nonsense website, decent prices. I'd go them for the S-Video (unfortunately they only have lengths of 1.5m, presumably due to the fact that everyone loves digital and analogue sucks arse).

http://www.uglycable.com.au/cable/video-ca...db0743ffc1a1d35

I'd avoid stuff from bargain stores (cheap and dodgy quality) and from retail stores (can be overpriced).

HDMI as above. The only important thing to note is that v1.3b doesn't support ethernet over HDMI, whereas 1.4 does. So if you're ever planning on re-using the cable you buy, get a 1.4. Otherwise it doesn't really matter. If you're not in a rush I can recommend this one from DealExtreme (takes about three weeks to be delivered)

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/premium-gold-...8m-length-51173

Thanks for the help with Ugly Cables. Most if not all of the cables should be a maximum of 2 metres long, so most HDMI cables should be fine for me then. I didn't know about the difference between v1.3b and 1.4, but now I do.

Thanks.

You could custom make an S-Video cable out of super material from Pluto...it would still produce a shit signal.

Put it in a museum where it belongs.

If you bothered to read the OP, you will see that my brothers system will only handle S-Video at best. He's not going to replace the whole system, when a $10 cable will fix the problem.