Sign in to follow this  
sora3

[Build Log]The unwanted box

Hi guys, this is the first build log I've done which is amazing given how much tech advice I give. Anyway, most of you won't like what's ahead as I went against the grain here. Originally, I wanted to go to Intel with the i7 3930K and the X79 motherboard. But as the past shows, I've always went against the grain of what people had despite the downsides of doing so. It shows here easily if you look at Dasa's excellent thread. Basically, the only time AMD is there is near the budget range. Nowhere else do you see the suggestion of competition. And I deal with a lot of Photoshop and as well as Blender with the focus of looking ahead. And so with probably a lot of groans, I went with AMD's FX to see if it was really that bad.

Anyway, the thread is basically about my journeys with FX, both good and bad.

Everything is already here as I started getting everything almost one year ago really.

AMD FX-6100 Black Edition

G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 8GB kit

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB

OCZ Vertex 2 240GB

Posted Image

The rest of the build is taken from the previous incarnation of it such as the HD Radeon 6850, various HDDs, burner and case.

This was the shot before I placed the side panel back on.

Posted Image

ATM, I'm just setting everything back into order such as games and various benchmarks. Now, I've already done a run with some benchies but I won't disclose the results yet as I need some collaboration with a partner of mine.

Edited by sora3

Well, it's a bit of a journey to see what is crap and wrong with it. That's the gist of the 'unwanted' box as no one wanted to play with the AMD FX so I'm doing that instead. Sure, why bother but there's got to be someone that wants to know outside of the reviews done.

Go the Macron case. Old school, and certainly unwanted :P I got a Macron black tower chassis around somewhere too.

Big difference in budget between the FX-6100 and the 3930k.. matter of fact you could have pretty much paid for this entire upgrade and still had some change from the price tag of a 3930k, so the comparison is not really fair. That said this CPU will do everything a 3930k will do, probably, so you made the smart choice.

Any reason the CPU cooler is mounted that way? Rorate it 90 degrees anticlockwise and your temps should improve by at minimum a few degrees.

I would also suggest investing in a couple of cable ties to improve air flow.

Go the Macron case. Old school, and certainly unwanted :P I got a Macron black tower chassis around somewhere too.

Big difference in budget between the FX-6100 and the 3930k.. matter of fact you could have pretty much paid for this entire upgrade and still had some change from the price tag of a 3930k, so the comparison is not really fair. That said this CPU will do everything a 3930k will do, probably, so you made the smart choice.

Any reason the CPU cooler is mounted that way? Rorate it 90 degrees anticlockwise and your temps should improve by at minimum a few degrees.

I would also suggest investing in a couple of cable ties to improve air flow.

That is the only way you can mount a TRUE with socket AM* due to the heatpipes, and the way it attaches to the mobo.

when you are posting benchies don't forget to do the "disable every second core in a module" test to see for real (someone on atomic) what speed improvements you can get in single threaded tasks.

Thanks for the tips guys.

@p0is(+)n, I was thinking of a new case as the Centurion is a very very tight fit. It took a lot of thinking and prefitting to get everything done in such a small case. I still some cable ties left over so I will have to tie everything up again soon.

@UberPenguin, I'll try but Gigabyte's BIOS doesn't seem to have the ability to disable cores in the module. I may need to use Overdrive to do that.

have you got any dust filters on that case? might be an idea to get some of those ones from pccg, to stop your hardware getting covered in it.

otherwise should be nice and fast although Im not sure it was a step up from the 1055T you said you used in another thread, games it wouldn't be, some things it would be I guess, as a positive the FX should overclock a lot higher than the 1055t.

@ nesquick, which filters are you talking about? I can't seem to find them on PCCG...

Very nice build log sora3..im thinking of doing something like this too (A AMD build with that mobo as a base) in a very special case....

something to do for the holidays..

so when will results be up?

Edited by jdog

@ jdog, well, I'm still in the process of getting the softwares up and running. ATM, 3DMark (practically all of them) won't work to some degree which is pissing me off. 11 fails to initialise, Vantage freezes at the scoring stage, 06 seems to have artifacts appear so something's up there, 05 causes the cores to throttle back and 03 is just too old to run really.

sounds like the AMD FX chip is working well for u mate :P

edit: you installing win7 or winXP btw? if your benching I'd recommend XP.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Windows 7 Pro ATM.

I'll probably won't do XP as I do have SSDs as the OS drives.

Got 11 working so here's hoping.

Well, after more testing, here's what I found.

1) CnQ is a bitch. It is implemented no matter how I disabled it in BIOS. The only way I could disable CnQ is through Overdrive by manually overclocking the CPU. I hope AMD fixes this issue with Gigabyte and others ASAP as this is an annoying feature.

2) The 990FXA-UD7 I have doesn't have LLC on it which means I need to pump more volts in it in order to remain stable. I may need to switch to the Asus Crosshair V to maintain something similar.

3) And the majority of my benchmarks aren't working. Vantage works, as does 03, 05 and 06. 11 doesn't which pisses me off a lot. I may need to switch to the others like Resident Evil 5, STALKER and Unique.

Sora was of great help today

Through benching my system, I found that my motherboard is overvolting my CPU with auto settings, at stock speeds

curious about your choice of AMD FX-6100 vs 8120

also how are you planing on using the 120g and 240g ssd together? just os on the 120g then games and whatever you are currently working with on the 240g?

Well, the 8120 wasn't in stock. Actually, the 8 core FX is completely out of stock everywhere. The FX-6100 is pretty much the more common CPU out there.

The 120GB SSD is OS, 240GB SSD is for Steam and games in general.

And so far, it's chugging along nicely at 4.4GHz with multiplier overclock. I might clock to stock and see if I can get a decent overclock with both HTT and multiplier.

if your running benchies, make sure u get some stock results to compare your oc results against :)

Well, I'm nearly done with the prelim results. Just need to work out all the kinks. It was odd that 3DMark11 won't start regardless of anything but the older 3DMarks can. -___-

Plus, having to constantly disable CnQ in Overdrive is driving my patience up the wall.

I haven't been benching a lot these days given how stuff is and my life is revolving around getting a better job. Anyway, the current BIOS did a much better job at disabling CnQ than the last one and it also added a lot of goodies such as disabling modules/1 core per module. So that means I need to retest everything.

Here's the stock 3DMark Vantage score compared to my 3.4GHz Phenom II run.

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3684512 <- FX-6100 @ stock.

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3008970 <- Phenom II @ 3.4GHz

Posted Image <- stock FX-6100 SuperPI Run

Posted Image <- stock Phenom II X4 940BE SuperPi Run

Posted Image <- wPrime run @ stock FX-6100

Posted Image <- wPrime run @ stock Phenom II 940BE

Edited by sora3