Sign in to follow this  
G-relk

[Build log] GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Well, I finally have enough content to start my build log for my latest mod - a case made completely from clear acrylic plastic for my new media server/HTPC.

The case itself will be made from 4.5mm thick clear acrylic, with a solid black bottom. Its a completely custom design I have been working on for over a month and a bit now. Along with the clear case, I will also modding the PSU cables to only have what the PC will use, and they will be covered in lime green UV reactive sleeve, I will likely change the stock 80mm fan for a 120mm one with green LED's in it too. I also have green UV reactive SATA cables to boot :D

Sticking with the green theme, I have some green LED light strips to go in underneath the motherboard. I also have green activity LED's that will be wired into two plates of 10mm thick clear acrylic that the HDD and SSD will be mounted on. Being a media-centric PC, all the lighting will be wired up to a set of switches so they can be turned off when I'm not showing it off or something :P

I bought a cheap UV strip light too, but I am not sure if I will use it yet.....

Hardware is nothing fancy, and is a mix-n-match of old hand-me-down parts from my main PC, and some new tech I had to buy. I already have it up and running, and its perfect for what I want - quiet, fairly powerful, and relatively easy on power.

CPU: Phenom II X2 555

Motherboard: Asrock 880GMH-LE/USB3

RAM: 4GB A-RAM 1333MHz

HDD: 2TB Samsung F4EG

SSD: A-RAM 4GB ULTRA II series

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380W (green version)

LG Blu-Ray reader

Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic

Coolermaster Vortex Plus HSF

2 x Antec Tri-Cool 120mm fans (clear with no LED's)

Here is a photo I took the other day of all the sleeve and other bits that are going in it.

Posted Image

Also, for those interested, I will get the CAD drawings I made of the case uploaded so you can have a look, or if you REALLY like, get one made yourself :P I made them with a free program called LibreCAD FWIW

Anyway, let me know what you think!! Any ideas or input would be appreciated :)

green indeed man, looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.. also must say im loving the amount of build logs on the forum now.

will be particularly interested in how you light it. :)

i like the sata cables, i ordered a bunch of black ones for mine, and then my mobo came with some black ones. lucky i have a lot of hard drives, im sure they'll get used.

also like the pre-cut heat shrink. looks well neat.

green indeed man, looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.. also must say im loving the amount of build logs on the forum now.

will be particularly interested in how you light it. :)

i like the sata cables, i ordered a bunch of black ones for mine, and then my mobo came with some black ones. lucky i have a lot of hard drives, im sure they'll get used.

also like the pre-cut heat shrink. looks well neat.

Yeah, will make the job a lot easier - MDPC-X international sell it, and its pretty damn cheap for 4:1 ratio shrink I must say. I also bought the thinner green sleeve there too.

I have two 120mm green strip lights that will be underneath the motherboard at right angles to each other, so they throw light out from the edges of the board, then another 30CM one that I am not sure what I will do with yet. plus a 24CM long UV strip light too.

I'm thinking I might just get some UV LED's and wire up a few inside. Will be a lot neater than having ANOTHER strip light in the case. I will be sending off the plans to the fabricator today if I get time. Cannot wait :D

EDIT: linkage to folder with the drawings in it:

http://livefire.com.au/CaseMod/

You will need to right click the files and save the target/link for them to work. The areas that are filled in green need to be cut from the inside so they are the right dimensions.

EDIT 2: Also, for anyone looking at doing this sort of thing, I can highly recommend Miles Plastics up in QLD as the people to talk to. Out of all the places I went to (including epicPC), they were only one of two places that responded to my enquiries, and the only ones to come back with a quote (and a very reasonable one at that).

Edited by G-relk

Green FTW

Yet another person who likes the green theme :D

Cant wait to see what it looks like.

Im also doing a green theme - see green Dragon thread.

I don't really like green, just didn't want it blue (because I HATE blue LED's), my other PC already has a red/black theme, and that only left white or green. White is boring so green it was :D

I have sent the designs through to Miles Plastics, so hopefully I should have the parts for my case sometime soon :D

going green fans too? The GELID wing fans look quite nice in UV green and have decent quiet bearings. PCCG sell em in packs of 4.

my build log was originally going to be green/black but I didn't find any nice green 140mm fans.. :( kind of just ended up evolving in concept as I purchased things.

do you have a jpeg/screenshot of the case design? I can't open the files without downloading the software.

going green fans too? The GELID wing fans look quite nice in UV green and have decent quiet bearings. PCCG sell em in packs of 4.

my build log was originally going to be green/black but I didn't find any nice green 140mm fans.. :( kind of just ended up evolving in concept as I purchased things.

do you have a jpeg/screenshot of the case design? I can't open the files without downloading the software.

Nah, the fans I got are just clear plastic with no LED's - easier to control the lighting that way. I almost went with the Gelid fans, but decided that I wanted them to be completely clear instead of translucent green/tinted.

Ill get a drawing done up sometime soon for you to see. The design is very simple, but it should be very effective in showing off everything while still looking good.

For those interested, here is a pick of one of the drawings:

Posted Image

That isn't all the parts, just all the sides, the top, the middle piece, and some supports. The top left is the front, then below that is the back, then the top, and finally the middle piece. On the right are the support pieces plus the two sides.

The hard drives will go directly behind each of the two fans on top of a 10mm plate of clear plastic, and will be screwed in from underneath the case. The middle piece sits right on top of the Blu-Ray drive, and has cutouts for all the cables, power supply, and fans. The cutout on the back of the case down the bottom is for ventilation. The case will have a positive air pressure too, so it shouldn't get too dusty, especially with fan-filters at the front.

Need a bit of help here - I am trying to find straight green SATA power connectors, but can only seem to find the regular 90 degree ones. I found ONE online store that sells them, but they don't have any stock :\

The type I am after looks like this:

Posted Image

What I have got looks like this:

Posted Image

They look to be made by a company called ConnectorZ, but the website they have is both ancient AND useless. Any help finding some of these would be awesome.

i had a quick google too, thinking I found the same store as you thats out of stock. jab tech or something..

literally nothing else appears to exist, or they just dont make it anymore.

as a backup you might be able to paint/sleeve the black plastic sata power connectors instead?

Lookin forward to it.

I'll be interested in how you go about making the mobo io / pci back plate.

Just a heads up on the Sata connector.

The part you have is for both, it can go on the wire (pass thru) or on the end (End Cap). It should have a Cap Cover that clicks onto the back of it.

You are after an End Cap Cover one. Its the same part you have but it has a different Cap to clip on.

As to where to buy, Im also looking. The only place I have found so far is FrozenCPU is the USA.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9986/ele...?tl=g44c155s649

i had a quick google too, thinking I found the same store as you thats out of stock. jab tech or something..

literally nothing else appears to exist, or they just dont make it anymore.

as a backup you might be able to paint/sleeve the black plastic sata power connectors instead?

Jab-tech, and KustomPCs were the two places that had them listed, but with no available stock. I have sent both emails to see if I can get my hands on some.

EDIT: Good idea about sleeving them. I think I have some heatshrink big enough too :D

Lookin forward to it.

I spent well over an hour measuring it all up, it will be made from two frames of 6mm clear plastic glued together, which will attach to the back of the case. Hopefully I get the dimensions right :S

Just a heads up on the Sata connector.

The part you have is for both, it can go on the wire (pass thru) or on the end (End Cap). It should have a Cap Cover that clicks onto the back of it.

You are after an End Cap Cover one. Its the same part you have but it has a different Cap to clip on.

As to where to buy, Im also looking. The only place I have found so far is FrozenCPU is the USA.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9986/ele...?tl=g44c155s649

I have the 90 degree end cap, which will work OK, but the one I want has the cables coming out at 180degrees, which will look a lot nice, and be a touch more functional. Worst case scenario I will just order some black one, as I am pretty not keen to use the 90degree ones. Edited by G-relk

Lookin forward to it.

I spent well over an hour measuring it all up, it will be made from two frames of 6mm clear plastic glued together, which will attach to the back of the case. Hopefully I get the dimensions right :S

I was thinking the other day. I've got these tiny powerful magnets that I bought off ebay.

I think I'll use them instead of screwing the cards into place, so that they just snap into place instead. Could just glue them onto the other side of the place the cards will sit.

I'm tossing up whether or not to magnetise the top of the case on or not. I will probably end up screwing it on for simplicity's sake.

More news on the 180degree connectors - AC Ryan used to make them as well, but they are now discontinued along with all their other modding lines :(

I'll get three of those all-in-one style things and see what they look like then. Will also give me the opportunity to get a set of green PCI/PCI-e slot dust covers too :D

Lookin forward to it.

I was thinking the other day. I've got these tiny powerful magnets that I bought off ebay.

I think I'll use them instead of screwing the cards into place, so that they just snap into place instead. Could just glue them onto the other side of the place the cards will sit.

I'd be careful about putting neodymium magnets in a case, if thats what they are.

Lookin forward to it.

I'd be careful about putting neodymium magnets in a case, if thats what they are.

That's exactly what they are. You haven't ripped open a hard drive before though, have you? They use a massive magnet for the head mechanism. Putting magnets near fans may do something kooky to them, but I can't see it doing any harm to other components.....

EDIT: Ordered 3 of the all-in-one connectors, plus the slot protector kit :D

Edited by G-relk

I also don't think he remembers the giant magnets that were in the old beeper speakers.

Bit of a minor update here: I found a solution to my SATA power connector problem - Mod the connector!

The idea is pretty simple, only put the wire into one of the two push-down contacts, then drill 4 holes into the end cap, and run the wire out through that. I had a first run with a black one that was attached to a spare cable here at work, and it looks pretty good!

These are pass-through caps, but they are pretty much the same as the end caps that I have. After and before:

Posted Image

The cables pushed into the SATA connector itself:

Posted ImagePosted Image

The finished product:

Posted Image

Sorry for the crappy-ness of the photos, don't have my camera with me ATM, just my phone.

The other all-in-one connectors I bought are still coming, and will probably be at home waiting for me. Still worth buying them to get the awesomely green slot protector kit though :D

And for anyone looking to buy from AusPCMarket - I can highly recommend them. Free postage and very quick service. Website is a little basic, but it works well enough.

I also don't think he remembers the giant magnets that were in the old beeper speakers.

I most certainly do.

And I'm well aware of the fact that there are magnets in HDDs too.

The thing is, other strong magnets can fuck up HDDs, which is why I personally wouldn't put Neo Dymium magnets in my case.

Oh and just for reference:

Posted Image

These are my HDD magnets surrounded by Neodymium magnets, I know how strong they are and that you can wipe HDDs with them if you aren't careful.

UPDATE!!!!

Just got off the phone from Miles Plastics, and my case is shipping today!! Including courier shipping from Qld, and the glue to put it together, it cost $198, so I'm pretty stoked! At a guess I would assume it would be here sometime next week :D

Once that arrives, I can get started on cutting down all the PSU cables and sleeving them, plus drilling all the mounts for the motherboard and other hardware :D

Lookin forward to it.

That's exactly what they are. You haven't ripped open a hard drive before though, have you? They use a massive magnet for the head mechanism. Putting magnets near fans may do something kooky to them, but I can't see it doing any harm to other components.....

EDIT: Ordered 3 of the all-in-one connectors, plus the slot protector kit :D

The reason he is concerned is because HDDs are magnetic storage, that meaning that the head of the HDD aligns the particles on the disc using a magnetic force so if you have strong magnets next to HDDs (floppys to if you are old enough to remember them) you can corrupt the data by miss-aligning the information on the platter.

That being said I’ve never seen it happen but it is a sound argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive - this explains it a little better then my clumsy wordings