Sign in to follow this  
G-relk

[Build log] GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Lookin forward to it.

I'll be interested in how you go about making the mobo io / pci back plate.

I spent well over an hour measuring it all up, it will be made from two frames of 6mm clear plastic glued together, which will attach to the back of the case. Hopefully I get the dimensions right :S

I was thinking the other day. I've got these tiny powerful magnets that I bought off ebay.

I think I'll use them instead of screwing the cards into place, so that they just snap into place instead. Could just glue them onto the other side of the place the cards will sit.

I'd be careful about putting neodymium magnets in a case, if thats what they are.

That's exactly what they are. You haven't ripped open a hard drive before though, have you? They use a massive magnet for the head mechanism. Putting magnets near fans may do something kooky to them, but I can't see it doing any harm to other components.....

EDIT: Ordered 3 of the all-in-one connectors, plus the slot protector kit :D

The reason he is concerned is because HDDs are magnetic storage, that meaning that the head of the HDD aligns the particles on the disc using a magnetic force so if you have strong magnets next to HDDs (floppys to if you are old enough to remember them) you can corrupt the data by miss-aligning the information on the platter.

That being said I’ve never seen it happen but it is a sound argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive - this explains it a little better then my clumsy wordings

I now the theory behind it, but you need a lot more than a couple of strong magnets sort-of near a HDD to do any damage to your data.

I don't have the link anymore, but someone covered a drive completely with neo-dymium magnets, and it barely even caused a bad sector (for memory at least).

Just get a little tinfoil hat for your HDD and you should be right :)

Can't wait to see some pics of the case mate.

Lookin forward to it.

I'll be interested in how you go about making the mobo io / pci back plate.

I spent well over an hour measuring it all up, it will be made from two frames of 6mm clear plastic glued together, which will attach to the back of the case. Hopefully I get the dimensions right :S

I was thinking the other day. I've got these tiny powerful magnets that I bought off ebay.

I think I'll use them instead of screwing the cards into place, so that they just snap into place instead. Could just glue them onto the other side of the place the cards will sit.

I'd be careful about putting neodymium magnets in a case, if thats what they are.

That's exactly what they are. You haven't ripped open a hard drive before though, have you? They use a massive magnet for the head mechanism. Putting magnets near fans may do something kooky to them, but I can't see it doing any harm to other components.....

EDIT: Ordered 3 of the all-in-one connectors, plus the slot protector kit :D

The reason he is concerned is because HDDs are magnetic storage, that meaning that the head of the HDD aligns the particles on the disc using a magnetic force so if you have strong magnets next to HDDs (floppys to if you are old enough to remember them) you can corrupt the data by miss-aligning the information on the platter.

That being said I’ve never seen it happen but it is a sound argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive - this explains it a little better then my clumsy wordings

I now the theory behind it, but you need a lot more than a couple of strong magnets sort-of near a HDD to do any damage to your data.

I don't have the link anymore, but someone covered a drive completely with neo-dymium magnets, and it barely even caused a bad sector (for memory at least).

Yeah I saw that.

Still I feel its better to be safe than sorry.

THE CASE IS HERE, THE CASE IS HERE :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll get some photos up in a sec, got a few jobs to knock over at the first though.....

Come on ... make with the pics! It's not like your day job is important or anything... ;)

Well, here is the case in its current form:

Posted Image

top left is the I/O and PCI slot area and the HDD plates.

Top right is the front panel, then below that is the back panel.

Bottom right is the middle panel which will house the motherboard.

Next step is to polish all the edges so they are nice and shiny, then start gluing everything together :D

EDIT: the stuff in the bottom left is the feet, mounting points for the top panel, plus the front USB port (the hole for which I made too small, and will need to be made bigger)

Edited by G-relk

Nice man!

How much did the cutting of the plastic cost? And how much were the sheets?

Looking good so far, its starting to come together now. Make sure you don't rush it just because your excited :)

Makes me want to get my own custom case fabbed, it would probably be some kind of massive horizontal test bench style metal chassis.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Including the glue, material, cutting, and shipping it cost $198 all up. Only thing I buggered was the hole for the front USB ports - its too small. The holes for the two fans at the front could be a few mm smaller in diameter, but it wouldn't make any difference. just me being a perfectionist....

I have plenty of experience with plastic cement on plastic model, so I have a fair idea what I am doing. But yeah, slow and steady wins the race for sure ;)

EDIT: quick mock-up of what the front of the PC will look like:

Posted Image

I've also found a couple of other minor things wrong with it, but on the whole they aren't huge - all are very easily fixable (note: they are all my fault).

Edited by G-relk

Lookin' good! Shame about the mis-measurement (measure twice, then uh, measure again I suppose 'cos you didn't do the cutting :P), but it still looks pretty rad. Is the acrylic frosted in that BDROM test fit shot, or is that a protective coating?

And for anyone looking to buy from AusPCMarket - I can highly recommend them. Free postage and very quick service. Website is a little basic, but it works well enough.

Just a clarification here, AusPCMarket don't have free postage - they include the postage into the price of every item. That's why they can seem more expensive at times, compared to other retailers.

Lookin' good! Shame about the mis-measurement (measure twice, then uh, measure again I suppose 'cos you didn't do the cutting :P), but it still looks pretty rad. Is the acrylic frosted in that BDROM test fit shot, or is that a protective coating?

And for anyone looking to buy from AusPCMarket - I can highly recommend them. Free postage and very quick service. Website is a little basic, but it works well enough.

Just a clarification here, AusPCMarket don't have free postage - they include the postage into the price of every item. That's why they can seem more expensive at times, compared to other retailers.

Nah, it's clear, that's just the protective film over it to stop it getting scratched. The two 10mm thick plate that the hard drives will be frosted, and the bottom is solid black, but the rest is all clear.

For the stuff I bough of them at least, it was by far the cheapest around, even with the extra price hike for the "free" shipping.

Haha. I was going to do some work on it last night, but couldn't motivate myself to do it lol.

The stuff for the WC loop in my main PC came today, so I will be getting that done today hopefully.

Right, update time!! I started sleeving all the PSU cables last night. First time doing this sorta stuff, so I only managed to complete the 4pin MB power, and de-pin about half of the 24pin.

Anyway, here are the results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I am going to bite the bullet so to speak and just cut the rest of the wires off the 24pin, as either I'm super shit at de-pinning, or the tool I have is a heap of crap (I'm leaning more towards the later than the former). I have the proper pins anyway, and they are pretty easy to crimp, even without the proper tool.

All things permitting, I should be able to get the 24pin done tonight, then get a start on the SATA power connectors....

Oh, and another thing: I lined everything up where it will go, and this case is going to be a NIGHTMARE to build in. Probably worse than my SG-03 of old.....

looks great so far!

cant wait to see it finished!

Looking good mate. A lot more work than I'm doing on my current project (Too lazy to do a build log right now, too much Dremelling to do).

I used those same fan filters on my last WC job. They'll look less out of place in yours though.

If you're bored enough to need a pic then here you go http://users.datarealm.com/~opy/The_HAF/0025_Blue.jpg

Are you adding red lights to make it a Christmas box? ;)

Looking good mate. A lot more work than I'm doing on my current project (Too lazy to do a build log right now, too much Dremelling to do).

I used those same fan filters on my last WC job. They'll look less out of place in yours though.

If you're bored enough to need a pic then here you go http://users.datarealm.com/~opy/The_HAF/0025_Blue.jpg

Are you adding red lights to make it a Christmas box? ;)

Oh hardy ha ha :P

very nice job on the sleeving so far. looks way better than my first efforts.

im sure I don't need to remind you to be careful when working with your PSU like that, as caps can discharge and give you a nasty little shock.

im sure I don't need to remind you to be careful when working with your PSU like that, as caps can discharge and give you a nasty little shock.

Heh, the first one took about 3 goes to get it perfect, but now that I have the method down-pat I should be right for the rest.

Yeah, I know to be careful with caps, I let it sit on the floor for a good half hour before I went near it to be sure they were discharged.

Heh, the first one took about 3 goes to get it perfect, but now that I have the method down-pat I should be right for the rest.

Yeah, I know to be careful with caps, I let it sit on the floor for a good half hour before I went near it to be sure they were discharged.

just fyi i am not even sure it matters how long you leave it, if you accidentally touch it, it can still bite :) i may be wrong but I've been told this before.

just fyi i am not even sure it matters how long you leave it, if you accidentally touch it, it can still bite :) i may be wrong but I've been told this before.

I am sure I read somewhere that most computer PSU's have a resistor or something wired near the caps that drain them over a small amount of time. I am probably wrong, but regardless, I'm not dead yet :P :P

I FINALLY DID SOME MORE WORK!!

And by that, I mean I knocked over the PSU. And besides one of the cables only being JUST long enough, it came out great :D :D

Posted Image

The 24pin was a bit of a pain - not only did I not get enough sleeve to do it individually like the rest of the cables, but I also cocked up the wiring. I read the pinout diagram the wrong way, and wired it up backwards. Thankfully due to the green PSU on cable being in the wrong spot, it wouldn't power up the system, so no damage was done. Did worry me a bit though. All working fine since I re-did it.

That is where the PC stands right now. Still no more work done on the case really. I do have a metal I/O/PCI slot plate for the back coming soon though to use instead of the ones I designed (that are too short). Hopefully it is the right size for the existing cut out.