codecreeper

Speaker Resigns

When i saw the News this morning about the speaker resigning it really made me think that somehow the Mining Tax and the current democratic system has changed.

The speaker stood down over reasons to do with the current system as it is not working. I am just thinking is Labor really Labor or more sided with Communism now. Today will be a strange day in Our country and what happens today will be even more so stranger. Labor and the Independents with greens on the side is just not working. Looking at the pictures of Julia Gillard looks her face shows no emotions and somehow i see a nervous breakdown coming.

Abbot just said that no Liberal Party member will be speaker, so if Peter Slipper takes the job, he'll be out of the party.

Abbot just said that no Liberal Party member will be speaker, so if Peter Slipper takes the job, he'll be out of the party.

Weren't they investigating him/going to chuck him out anyway for something?

After hearing a bit of parliamentary debate yesterday I'm not surprised he resigned - being a kindergarten teacher in a class full of kids afflicted by dementia would be easier.

I feel an early election coming on......

Cheers

Maybe Peter Slipper will take the position out of spite.

I hope so I've met him a few times when I was working in caloundra on the sunshine coast. Odd kinda bloke.

I think Harry Jenkins wanted to leave but made a secret deal with Julia when the Carton tax and Mining tax got passed, he could resign.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-24/harr...signing/3690850

Of course Abbott wants to call an election because the speaker resigned, what else would he do? He's been the most negative, partisan, ineffectual opposition leader, acting against the interests of the country to further his own agenda. He's just been having one huge tantrum since he lost the last election.

As far as I understand, at least in the case of the speaker position causing a hung parliament parties agree a 1 for 1 vote in regards to the speaker's position and inability to vote in parliament. So the speaker can't vote on legislation, but the opposition normally removes one of their own members from the vote for fairness.

If that's been the case, and the Liberals haven't been using the fact that Labor won the government, and therefore had to provide the speaker, as a way to get an extra vote, then I don't see the issue. The deputy speaker, Peter Slipper, should take over as speaker, and Labor should have one less vote to make up for it.

If the Liberals haven't been honouring the practice of taking out one of their own votes, then Abbott is just sore that the tables have turned on him.

I'm also getting completely sick of him saying the Greens are the real government, because they'd have no power at all if the Liberals dropped their butthurt act and actually cooperated to some degree with Labor.

Posted Image

Seriously? Communism? Nervous breakdown? Really?

Says it all really. Communism? FFS get real codecreeper.

It seems Slipper has taken over for now at least. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-24/slip...dumping/3690528

Apparently he's up against a Howard government minister for pre-selection for his seat. The Liberals would be insane to remove him, people love him on the Sunshine Coast (at least, from what I remember of living there).

Also, in regards to the claims of "communism" that's just ridiculous. The Labor party has been moving in the opposite direction for a long time, plus they've introduced some of the biggest reforms in Australia's history towards our current capitalist system.

Edited by NagChampa

Posted Image

Seriously? Communism? Nervous breakdown? Really?

Says it all really. Communism? FFS get real codecreeper.

Nice picture. Love it. Must be the new theme of the day. LOLZ

To the OP:

Really? Look it's cool if you dislike Labor, I rate you just as highly as those who dislike Liberals. And what I mean by that, is that it wouldn't matter who's incharge or WHAT they did, they'll think it's a good thing.

And that's what I fucking hate about Politics now days (apart from their relationship with the media and its way of funneling catch phrases and 1 liners to con votes out of people). It's that it's less about issues, its more about "my team". And "my team" has to win, therefore ANYTHING they put forward is better! And people will defend tooth and nail about why it's better.

To the OP:

Really? Look it's cool if you dislike Labor, I rate you just as highly as those who dislike Liberals. And what I mean by that, is that it wouldn't matter who's incharge or WHAT they did, they'll think it's a good thing.

And that's what I fucking hate about Politics now days (apart from their relationship with the media and its way of funneling catch phrases and 1 liners to con votes out of people). It's that it's less about issues, its more about "my team". And "my team" has to win, therefore ANYTHING they put forward is better! And people will defend tooth and nail about why it's better.

You've summed up one of the biggest problems in politics so eloquently. Bravo

After hearing a bit of parliamentary debate yesterday I'm not surprised he resigned - being a kindergarten teacher in a class full of kids afflicted by dementia would be easier.

I feel an early election coming on......

Cheers

Easier...but not exactly different though.

Edited by Director

This is confusing if Slipper resigned from the Liberal party then he no longer is a Liberal member ,is this correct? So he was elected as a Liberal candidate to support his electorate ,is this correct?

So how can someone who has resigned from the Liberal party get nominated to be the next Speaker? He is no longer Liberal nor is he voted in to power by his electorate as a Independent. So Virtually Slipper has no support or Power in the system as Speaker. If this move supports the Labor numbers then would that push the 3 independents power away from Labor ,as in Labor no longer needs their approval.

Peter Slipper is now Speaker of the House.

This is confusing

No it's not. An elected MP is an MP, whether in Government, opposition, or on the cross bench.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-24/harr...signing/3690850

Of course Abbott wants to call an election because the speaker resigned, what else would he do? He's been the most negative, partisan, ineffectual opposition leader, acting against the interests of the country to further his own agenda. He's just been having one huge tantrum since he lost the last election.

As far as I understand, at least in the case of the speaker position causing a hung parliament parties agree a 1 for 1 vote in regards to the speaker's position and inability to vote in parliament. So the speaker can't vote on legislation, but the opposition normally removes one of their own members from the vote for fairness.

If that's been the case, and the Liberals haven't been using the fact that Labor won the government, and therefore had to provide the speaker, as a way to get an extra vote, then I don't see the issue. The deputy speaker, Peter Slipper, should take over as speaker, and Labor should have one less vote to make up for it.

If the Liberals haven't been honouring the practice of taking out one of their own votes, then Abbott is just sore that the tables have turned on him.

I'm also getting completely sick of him saying the Greens are the real government, because they'd have no power at all if the Liberals dropped their butthurt act and actually cooperated to some degree with Labor.

+1

If Abbott would get off his arse and do something constructive, like negotiate with Labor, then the independents and the Greens would be powerless to stop them.

I thought the libs were the party of personal liberty with none of that nasty pledge stuff that those oiks from Labor insist on? If Mr Slipper wants to leave you two votes down who are you to argue Mr Abbot?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/slipper-ele...1124-1nvn8.html

Edited by Hlass

When i saw the News this morning about the speaker resigning it really made me think that somehow the Mining Tax and the current democratic system has changed.

The speaker stood down over reasons to do with the current system as it is not working. I am just thinking is Labor really Labor or more sided with Communism now. Today will be a strange day in Our country and what happens today will be even more so stranger. Labor and the Independents with greens on the side is just not working. Looking at the pictures of Julia Gillard looks her face shows no emotions and somehow i see a nervous breakdown coming.

People like this guy get a vote. That's why our political system is so screwed up.

Reading google news it looks like the Independents are Upset over Slipper as Speaker. It changes the whole game now.