Sign in to follow this  
osama_bin_athlon

the Corsair H100 is well worth the price.

er, those temps were after 8 hours of Linpack, whilst carrying on watching movies, downloading

;)

yes which was what you meant when you said you left it run overnight but im not sure what you are hinting at now?

er, those temps were after 8 hours of Linpack, whilst carrying on watching movies, downloading

;)

yes which was what you meant when you said you left it run overnight but im not sure what you are hinting at now?

I'm pretty sure he didn't read it properly.

While we're on the subject I need some advice and it is probably better in here than starting another thread.

I've pretty much made up my mind on the new build going the tried and tested 2500k with an Asrock Extreme 4 gen 3.

I just haven't made up my mind about cooling, I currently have a e8400 @4.2 with a CM v8 cooler and I've never messed around with water cooling before

I just want to know how much maintenance would be required with something like the XSPC Rasa 750 RX360. I will be overclocking

and trying to get stupid SuperPi scores just not sure if its worth the extra hassle over the 920.

Edit

Also I have a Gainward GTX 570 that I might throw a water block on, not sure. It's fairly quiet stock but when I overclock it, it starts to get loud

although nowhere near as bad as my old XFX 4870.

Edited by ReapermanRS

;)

I'm pretty sure he didn't read it properly.

mustn't have had my specs on....or I was drunk

either one works.

disregard that.

yep both work :)

as for loop maintenance

most will recommend changing the water about once a year if you use distilled water

tube and res can go cloudy and some tube dose this quicker than others which wants a bottle brush to clean if you want it looking nice again

using this may extend the time between draining and refilling the loop

http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/liquid-utopia-15ml/

i would suggest you dont use any dye in the water as it tends to gunk things up

any idea if your gtx570 is a reference model? they had a habit of blowing the vrm when overclocked

Edited by Dasa

that's one concern that I had buying a closed off the shelf system......

doesn't some of the fluid evaporate over time? was the other.

I still don't really know how they get around this

obviously they don't use water based coolant/devised some additive to stop evaporation

(the latter doesn't sound quite right)

apparently, they have the problem solved, they wouldn't be guaranteeing them for 5 years, otherwise

the rate of evaporation from a normal loop is very small

mostly when someone notices there res levels have changed over 6-12 months its largely due to pockets of air eventually making it back to the res

the main thing they do to reduce it is they use a very small dense tube as that is the most porous surface threw which it would evaporate in the typical custom loop

you are right about dense tube dasa, the tubing used in my loop is 5/8" outer diameter, and 3/8" inner diameter, which means tube walls of 1/4" thick in total.

after having my water cooling up and running a few weeks, i can't say that I've found it any more time consuming than air cooling. it might take a couple of hours every now and then to clean/drain the loop if you need to make changes, so you need to ask yourself how frequently you'd be dismantling your PC. i just opted for pre-mixed coolant which was as easy as pouring it in and then bleeding the bubbles out (hardest part). I was topping the res up by 10-15% every other day as i bled the system. Since I finished bleeding it, the coolant level hasn't really changed. I have almost exactly 1L of coolant in my loop so I guess I will see in a few weeks or months if I have to top it up at all.

a little more planning than air cooling required for sure, but once it is set up required very little effort to maintain.

there is also the constant fear in the back of my mind that im going to come home to a leaky blood red coolant mess all over my carpet, and its going to look like i brutally murdered someone and i will never see my bond again, but I like living on the edge.

yeh, they (Corsair) mention the tubes, and how they're specially designed, or something, and that they affect the evaporation of the fluid

I thought that there'd be more to it than that.

yeh, they (Corsair) mention the tubes, and how they're specially designed, or something, and that they affect the evaporation of the fluid

I thought that there'd be more to it than that.

possibly is something more to it than just the tube good seals and enough res capacity to last 5 years without failing

but maybe with a chance of bubble noise in the loop? that may be something you can rma it for though and if thats the case they may go a few more years after 5 once they develop a bubbling noise

bubble noise eh?

you mean like evaporation causing er....gaps/bubbles in the loop?

I guess that could happen without a reservoir....

I assume that it would affect the pump....

anyway

it's very unlikely, considering my past form, that I'd keep this setup for much more than 2 years, and very likely that it will change guises in a few ways during that period......hopefully it will be worry free during that time.

maybe that's what Corsair are counting on......

except for the occassional vibrating noise from my 920, i'm happy with it's cooling and bling.

Yeah done some research and my gtx 570 isn't reference, sadness. Still not sure which way to go with cooling I never get over 42 degrees on air with my e8400 although the chipset gets up to 50.

Maybe I should get some higher speed 200mm fans and a few front intakes and just go with the 920 if I can't cool the gpu.

Yeah done some research and my gtx 570 isn't reference, sadness. Still not sure which way to go with cooling I never get over 42 degrees on air with my e8400 although the chipset gets up to 50.

Maybe I should get some higher speed 200mm fans and a few front intakes and just go with the 920 if I can't cool the gpu.

wrong thread?

non reference may be better than reference with a bit of luck so maybe its something to be happy about but how much better if at all? who knows

you can cool the gpu much better which will make it nice cool and quiet but weather you will safely be able to oc any further is another thing

not wrong thread just a bit of a hijack when talk of water got a bit sidetracked :)

Like someone said before it's the GPU that would be better to cool rather than the CPU.

I'm looking at getting a water setup but is there any off-the-shelf system specifically for GPUs?

My 4870 resembles a small hoover when it's cranking out the polygons in earnest and I can't imagine the new ones coming out will be any better.

Like someone said before it's the GPU that would be better to cool rather than the CPU.

I'm looking at getting a water setup but is there any off-the-shelf system specifically for GPUs?

My 4870 resembles a small hoover when it's cranking out the polygons in earnest and I can't imagine the new ones coming out will be any better.

the 4870 is getting rather old - you sure that you want to spend money on it?

I'd rather get a new vid card, than water cool one that's getting obsolete

chances are it'd be quieter, and definitely perform better

I'd think about that carefully

you can probably make your 4870 a bit cooler\quieter with a fresh application of thermal paste and by blowing the dust out of the heatsink

other than that im in agreeance with oba that its not really worth spending much more on unless its universal and can be moved to a new card

Edited by Dasa

the 4870 is getting rather old - you sure that you want to spend money on it?

I'd rather get a new vid card, than water cool one that's getting obsolete

chances are it'd be quieter, and definitely perform better

I'd think about that carefully

I'm just waiting on this "rumoured" 7000 series announcement before I stump up for either a 580 or one of the new 7950s*

That still doesn't change the fact that video cards usually use the most power and produce the most heat and noise in a system.

* if they exist.

wrong thread?

Hijack ALL the threads!

Ahem, sorry about that.

wrong thread?

Hijack ALL the threads!

Ahem, sorry about that.

no probs - I'm guilty of the same, on occasion

;)

Just got myself the H100 from MSY for $157, this will be going in my new build (ASUS Crosshair V with 1100T), my first foray into water. I figured an enclosed system first because its easier...but one of the reasons why I chose it over a large air cooler was to allow more clearance over the DIMMS. Pretty much all the high performance RAM has double height RAMsinks sticking up, which kinda limits the placement of large aftermarket air coolers. (Althought Kingston HyperX has a low enough profile to fit under my TRUE (from sight), but Kingston only goes up to 1600 I think in the 4GB sticks...)

I agree with Dasa that the GPU waterblock is possibly more important. There seems to be more heat producing components on a GPU, and some get quite hot...eg the VRM. I have an Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme and it keeps everything nice and cool except the VRM's, which climb to over 90deg C which can't be good. I don't know if I missed putting a heatsink on a VRM, but when I fitted the cooler, I remember chucking heatsinks on as much stuff as I could without shorting things.

I'd be interested in a waterblock that also covers the RAM and the VRM as well as the GPU (Powercolor 5870 Eyefinity 6)...looks like Corsair haven't got into those yet.

Will fit the H100 soon when I get the RAM I want...

Edited by Antraman

Didn't have the space in my case for the H100, so I got the H80 instead. I'm so happy with it! I haven't noticed much of a difference temperature-wise yet between the two beside 1-3 degrees warmer on average. :)

I got a H100 today, but didn't stop to think/remember that I have twin 140mm fans with a small gap in between each fan on the roof of my case.

Not the dual 120mm that the H100 comes with/mounts to.

Damn Antec P193.

I'm gonna ghetto rig it up with cable ties through the honeycomb mesh stuff on top.

Wish me luck, haha.