Sign in to follow this  
osama_bin_athlon

the Corsair H100 is well worth the price.

I got a H100 today, but didn't stop to think/remember that I have twin 140mm fans with a small gap in between each fan on the roof of my case.

Not the dual 120mm that the H100 comes with/mounts to.

Damn Antec P193.

I'm gonna ghetto rig it up with cable ties through the honeycomb mesh stuff on top.

Wish me luck, haha.

um....can't you screw thru' the mesh?

;)

If I do, it won't be all the holes... check out a pic of the top of a P193 and you will see what I mean.

Though I am left wondering if when both 120mm fans are pushed together (stock 140mm fans have a 1cm gap or so between) they have enough clearance to screw in the ends of the radiator through the mesh. I'll have to do some experimenting when I'm ready to put it all in... (possibly tonight).

Posted Image

Edited by Ezkaton

If worst comes to worst, you could always drill new case holes...go buy a $50 ozito 14.4v drill and a diamond tipped drill bit, little bit expensive for one thing, but drills always come in handy and for a $50 cordless, the 14.4v ozito isnt bad.

Okay, so to save me sending stuff to a few different people that wanted to see how I went with this, I will put them in this thread.

It turned out well, I set it up so the fans suck air in through the roof and bring cooler air across the radiator and into the case.

Figured it would be better than blowing hot air from inside the case across the radiator and out the top.

Anyway, picture spam!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so warm air straight onto your ram and GPU... hmmmmm i dont think i wouldve gone that way.. oh wait.. nope i didnt.. ive got my top fans blowing air out the top as i have fans on the side bringing fresh air into the case as well as 2 front fans and 1 bottom one with a large one in the back taking air out..

temps are generally quite low.. 40-42 range on a normal day and upto 50 on a 40deg day.. and seeing as your also running sli like i was, thats another reason to have the tops extract air.. not bring warm air into the case

I have a 200mm fan on the side of my case blowing air directly onto both gpu... and a fan on the rear drawing air out.

I can always snip the cable ties and put the fans on the underside blowing air out of the case if it becomes problematic.

No big deal.

so warm air straight onto your ram and GPU... hmmmmm i dont think i wouldve gone that way.. oh wait.. nope i didnt.. ive got my top fans blowing air out the top as i have fans on the side bringing fresh air into the case as well as 2 front fans and 1 bottom one with a large one in the back taking air out..

temps are generally quite low.. 40-42 range on a normal day and upto 50 on a 40deg day.. and seeing as your also running sli like i was, thats another reason to have the tops extract air.. not bring warm air into the case

I think you'll find that being rear exhaust cards it won't be an issue, I'm doing the same thing with my water setup and it doesn't cause issues at all, still receive low temps inside the case etc.

Although being a P193, I'm not sure the fan setup will matter at all, the case will still get toasty as.

I like to think of those Antec Performance cases as ovens, they don't have enough airflow imo and all the sound deadening stuff acts as an insulator. For a crossfire setup, you'd really want to be getting out of that case ASAP into perhaps a full tower so you have a bit more space. You may also want to check what your best PCI-E slots are in your mobo manual, as you may be able to seperate the cards by a slot or 2 and still run it at 8x.

The manual says it is recommended that you use the second slot. It didn't mention the third...

Are there any downsides to using the third slot, performance-wise? Being 8x and all.

Not really, tests show that performance loss for most cards is less than 1% (with 16x and 8x vs 16x and 16x), might be a bit higher now but would only result in differences of 1 or 2 FPS at a maximum.

*EDIT* Clarification.

Edited by NukeJockey

Rear exhaust fans on a GPU makes no difference at all to what i was talking about.. if warm air is being dragged INTO the case via the top fans coz lets face it.. the hottest air in a case is at the top.. hot air rises, it will blow it down the case and the GPU fans will intake that nice warm air and blow it over the GPUs before exiting out the rear exhaust. and it makes a hell of a difference trust me.. my gpus went from 90deg down to 76 just by blowing cool air on them.

Edited by mattyamdfanboi

I set the GPU fans to 50%, put the 200mm side fan on high, and the rear exhaust fan on high and now the top 6950 sits at 50-53c idle, and the bottom is 40c idle.

CPU is sitting on 30-34 across the four cores.

Not too bad.

I will monitor the temps when I put them under stress when I have time.

Rear exhaust fans on a GPU makes no difference at all to what i was talking about.. if warm air is being dragged INTO the case via the top fans coz lets face it.. the hottest air in a case is at the top.. hot air rises, it will blow it down the case and the GPU fans will intake that nice warm air and blow it over the GPUs before exiting out the rear exhaust. and it makes a hell of a difference trust me.. my gpus went from 90deg down to 76 just by blowing cool air on them.

I don't trust you, sorry.

His issue has nothing to do with the temperature of the air or where its coming from, its a simple issue of not enough airflow to the top card, hence the higher idle temps. The side case fan simply does not have enough pressure to be effective.

I should clarify, while I agree that having cool air blowing onto the GPUs is a good idea, he doesn't have many options, its either warm air onto the top of the very first gpu, which will do fuck all as most of it will get taken out by the rear exhaust, OR he could have it so the radiator sucks in hot air and his cpu temps will be ludicrous.

In his setup, with his shitty case, with 2 cards on air, the way he has it mounted is the best option imo.

LOL suck in hot air frmo where??? imaginary space?? lol the things that heat up a case are generally, CPU (but its under water so not the case here) GPUs that blow hot air around the case.. again.. not the case here. so instead of introducing warm air.. its best to get rid of it.. and if the side fan isnt blowing enough.. REPLACE IT. ESPECIALLY since he doesnt have many options as u so claim

LOL suck in hot air frmo where??? imaginary space?? lol the things that heat up a case are generally, CPU (but its under water so not the case here) GPUs that blow hot air around the case.. again.. not the case here. so instead of introducing warm air.. its best to get rid of it.. and if the side fan isnt blowing enough.. REPLACE IT. ESPECIALLY since he doesnt have many options as u so claim

Good luck finding a high pressure 200mm fan. His issue is the gap between the cards is not wide enough to let enough air in.

As for hot air, did you forget about the fucking chipset? What about the radiant heat that comes off the GPUs and rises?

Edited by NukeJockey

lol dude.. i ran SLi with 1mm apart.. i have my cpu overclocked.. i have the chipset off its face.. everything in my pc is well well over the top.. and while the chipset does make a bit of heat.. its hardly comparable to the CPU with an aircooler blowing the hot air around..

which is why on this case.. its minimal.. and good luck? ive got a 200mm fan on the back of my PC by coolermaster and it extracts a shit load of air

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=11310

there you go.. 142cfm.. thats a MASSIVE amount of air.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19136

thats another one you could use.. good lucking finding any??? took me the whole of 30 seconds. hes having the same problem anyone with 2 gpus and no space have. but using proper fans and a good setup isnt hard to do if you just spend a few mins doing some quick reading.

Use a one of those fans on your gpus, and have the top fans extracting air.. that'll keep ur cpu and ur gpus cooler.

My temps are fine after doing some fan speed adjustments.

Tested the CPU under 100% load and it stayed on 51-53c... i7 920 @ 3.6GHz.

GPU idle at 50 or so which seems quite normal... same as when I had a single card and an air cooler on the CPU.

Load gets into the 70s, which is fine for an AMD card.

All of my ATi/AMD cards have performed fine right up to 90c under air.

I think my PC will be fine, no need to continue arguing. :)

lol dude.. i ran SLi with 1mm apart.. i have my cpu overclocked.. i have the chipset off its face.. everything in my pc is well well over the top.. and while the chipset does make a bit of heat.. its hardly comparable to the CPU with an aircooler blowing the hot air around..

which is why on this case.. its minimal.. and good luck? ive got a 200mm fan on the back of my PC by coolermaster and it extracts a shit load of air

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=11310

there you go.. 142cfm.. thats a MASSIVE amount of air.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19136

thats another one you could use.. good lucking finding any??? took me the whole of 30 seconds. hes having the same problem anyone with 2 gpus and no space have. but using proper fans and a good setup isnt hard to do if you just spend a few mins doing some quick reading.

Use a one of those fans on your gpus, and have the top fans extracting air.. that'll keep ur cpu and ur gpus cooler.

Massive amounts of air mean shit when the pressure is crap.

Closed loop coolers like that of Corsair and Antec are rubbish compared to a decent custom wc loop in my opinion. Crap pumps, and no res. I took apart a H70 and there was f*** all coolant.

If one is going to w/c go the custom route, better temps and flexibility.

For an easy solution with better cooling than air, they're quite sufficient I think.

Custom is all well and good, but not all of us have the time, patience, and dedication to building a full custom loop.

deejeeta, while I tend to agree with you that custom water is better, I think you're missing the point of what these coolers are for. Not everyone wants to have to deal with a WC setup, filling it, routing it all properly etc.

These are a nice neat, cheap (compared to real water) and most of all, require zero maintenance.

I think the cheaper all in one coolers such as the Antec 620 are great and very competitively priced, however paying $150 for the h100 is bollocks. If paying $70 more for a few degrees better temps means so much, then why wouldn't you go for a kit or custom loop which will yield far better results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h8...ing,3084-8.html

Antec 620 $85

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16986

Corsair H100 $159

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=17961

And the tubing and blocks on the Corsair coolers look so god damn ugly.

Once again, it all comes down to it being easy and neat, as I said in my previous post, not everyone has the time for a full loop, its why the corsair and antec all-in-ones are so popular.

Yes I agree as I said I think the cheaper 120 rad models are great, however the price/performance gain of the H100 is terrible and not really justified.