Sign in to follow this  
mark84

Western Digital buying out Hitachi

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/displ..._HDD_Plant.html

Was the intended acquisition of Hitachi by WD reported previously?

So if this goes ahead who's left? Seagate, WD and Toshiba? Will be interesting to see where the spun off factory etc goes.

I heard rumours of this months ago, but thought they were just that

Wonder what this will mean for consumers

Given that for many applications the days of magnetic media are in decline, it's hardly suprising that there is rationalisation of the marketspace.

3 serious players is still more than we have in the consumer desktop CPU market or the GPU market, so in comparison, I'm less worried about monopoly/lack of innovation.

At the same time, it would appear (anectotally) that there is real growth in recent years for external drives and the presence of the disk OEMs as producers of retail product. Those disk manufacturers that missed that boat, or didn't push hard on the retail distribution were guaranteed to be exposed - Just as I wouldn't want to pin my business on selling empty USB HDD cases.

Edited by stadl

was reported a little while ago that Hitachi data storage was purchased. probably a few pages down by now.

other HDD brands

Samsung, Fujitsu, Lenovo.

Do these guys do their own or rebadge others?

seagate purchased samsung a while back just before wd grabbed hitachi i think

whoopps yes thats what I ment

Mergers/takeovers are likely to produce synergies. Let's hope something good comes out of this, esp. in the aftermath of flood issues this year.

That just got officially confirmed this week

Seagate Finalizes the Acquisition of Samsung's Hard Drive Business

Seagate Technology has today announced that it completed the acquisition of Samsung Electronics' hard drive unit. Worth $1.4 billion, this deal covers the assets, infrastructure and employees of Samsung's HDD business and is supposed to boost Seagate's production capacity, R&D strength and customer access in China, Southeast Asia, Brazil, Germany and the Russian Federation.

As part of the agreement, Seagate will be supplying HDDs for Samsung PCs, notebooks and consumer electronics devices, while the South Korean giant will provide Seagate with semiconductor products needed for enterprise solid state drives (SSDs), solid-state hybrid drives and other products. Moreover, the two companies have signed an extended patent cross-license agreement, and have agreed to collaborate on the development of enterprise storage solutions.

"Together, Seagate and Samsung have aligned our current and future product development efforts and roadmaps in order to accelerate time-to-market efficiency for new products and position us to better address the increasing demands for storage," said Steve Luczo, Seagate chairman, president and CEO. "It is an exciting time in the industry with rapidly evolving opportunities in many markets including mobile computing, cloud computing, and solid state storage."

To ensure a smooth transition, Seagate is going to continue selling certain HDDs under the Samsung brand name for 12 months. Seagate didn't say anything but it's probable the Samsung-branded drives will include a warranty period comparable to that of the latest Barracudas.

TechPowerUp

That last bit is atrocious. Most Seagate HDD's have a 1 or 2 year warranty, and WD seems to be doing that too

That could be a temporary thing due to floods? Maybe it'll go back to 3-5 yr warranties down the track...

That could be a temporary thing due to floods? Maybe it'll go back to 3-5 yr warranties down the track...

I very much doubt that..

if they are moving a fair chunk of there production to china after the floods it could be why they are dropping the warranty a bit with setting up new hardware and training new people they will be expecting a few more problems