Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

What do you do when in a bad mood?

So obviously everyone handles things different, normally I'm a pretty placid person and it takes alot to get me fired up.

But lately I have noticed that my placidness is disappearing in place of just flat out anger.

For example, last night a bike rider nearly caused an accident due to not signalling where he was going and riding very slow while merging, so I yelled at him out the window, it felt really out of character for me, but there ya go.

Then again today, I turned my air con on to keep my office cool as I work from home and am working from 10am to 6pm, after a few minutes it began to make clunking and grinding noises, I put up with this for around 15 minutes and then just unleashed on the aircon (its a portable free standing one with a hose that goes out the window) the result of that? I cracked the plastic on the top of the aircon and cut my hand open, yet this didn't fix anything. Just like yelling at a bike rider didn't fix anything.

Maybe I'm just getting less patient as I get older, or maybe there is a chemical imbalance in my brain, I dunno.

Do any of you guys/gals find that the way you handled your anger changed as you got older? Or was it due to a lifestyle change? Things going on at home or at work at that point in time etc.

How do you normally handle anger? Do you let people know if they have pissed you off? Do you try to break things that aren't working?

Cheers.

So obviously everyone handles things different, normally I'm a pretty placid person and it takes alot to get me fired up.

But lately I have noticed that my placidness is disappearing in place of just flat out anger.

For example, last night a bike rider nearly caused an accident due to not signalling where he was going and riding very slow while merging, so I yelled at him out the window, it felt really out of character for me, but there ya go.

Then again today, I turned my air con on to keep my office cool as I work from home and am working from 10am to 6pm, after a few minutes it began to make clunking and grinding noises, I put up with this for around 15 minutes and then just unleashed on the aircon (its a portable free standing one with a hose that goes out the window) the result of that? I cracked the plastic on the top of the aircon and cut my hand open, yet this didn't fix anything. Just like yelling at a bike rider didn't fix anything.

Maybe I'm just getting less patient as I get older, or maybe there is a chemical imbalance in my brain, I dunno.

Do any of you guys/gals find that the way you handled your anger changed as you got older? Or was it due to a lifestyle change? Things going on at home or at work at that point in time etc.

How do you normally handle anger? Do you let people know if they have pissed you off? Do you try to break things that aren't working?

Cheers.

I'm a bit like you, I rarely crack the shits at something; except when driving. Our town has a lot of round-abouts, and people seemingly don't know how to use them. I swear and yell, but more to myself than anything to release the frustration. Likewise if a computer I am fixing is being a right shit I will swear at it, then leave it alone for a bit before coming back, but that's it.

Cheers.

I'm a bit like you, I rarely crack the shits at something; except when driving. Our town has a lot of round-abouts, and people seemingly don't know how to use them. I swear and yell, but more to myself than anything to release the frustration. Likewise if a computer I am fixing is being a right shit I will swear at it, then leave it alone for a bit before coming back, but that's it.

Yeah, I never lash out at computers, if a computer is causing me hassles when trying to fix/build it I will disappear for 10-15 minutes, have a smoke etc. then come back.

Hmmm I try to analyse WHY I'm cranky. And usually it's something very simple:

1. I'm tired

2. I haven't eaten well

3. A combination of both of those things

So when I realise that I try to step back away from things that make me angry, i.e. I won't go and have a game that's going to challenge me and I avoid certain other pet peeves.

Other than that, I find a good intense training session in Jits will sort me out, usually I can find a training partner who's up for a harder roll, etc.

Well, I've noticed that anger tends to be a covering emotion, so if I feel myself becoming angry or frustrated, I take a moment to riddle out what is actually causing the anger, and then I work on that problem.

Anger also tends to be the result of a violation of expectations, so I figure out what expectation of mine has been violated and take the situation from there. For example, if I'm walking along a shopping centre at speed, on my way somewhere specific with a set timeframe in mind, and someone dawdles out in front of me... that can be frustrating, yeah? But the person or their speed is not my actual problem, it's that I had built up a set of expectations based on my speed, my priorities, where I needed to be and how long it was going to take to get there - and this person had broken these expectations by causing me to slow down, if only momentarily.

So in that example, I could sigh and roll my eyes at this person, snap at them or even physically contact them - or I could understand that my expectations of control (a desire to continue my established speed) and even grasping/greed (wanting/feeling that I "need" something; in this case, to be somewhere at a certain time) have been broken or interrupted, and then work on resolving the situation from there.

When deconstructed in that way, I find that situations generally tend not to hold that much power over me that I become angry or frustrated for a protracted period of time. Of course, I am human and I do get frustrated from time to time - but hey, it just gives me a chance to put this idealogy into practice :-p :-) It takes a lot to inspire me to anger :-)

How old are you?

After about 40 I noticed certain things affecting me like they never did previously. Alcohol, yup, even only one drink and there's a 95% chance I'll be shitty for a day or two, same with creatine for some reason? Too much coffee will give me visual migraines and sometime you just get shitty for no reason. Could also be stress, diet, exercise or a combination of all.

Try a nice sativa. :)

That 'whore, she's a smart one.

I usually try to make a conscious choice to not become emotional. Do I get frustrated? Sure. Do I get angry? Almost never. Getting angry and lashing out won't change what is frustrating me.

If I'm angry at something I just do something that makes me happy again, ie. Give a mate a call, go for a beer somewhere, or sit down and play a relaxing game, or play some guitar, or turn some metal up really loud.

It's only normal to occasionally get angry, I usually get angry at people, usually colleagues. I never show my anger in front of them, because I try and treat people with respect. But sometimes I walk away from them muttering to myself in my head, y'know.

If you find you are getting more and more angry lately, with small things setting you off, I'm not sure on that – could be something in your life that's subconsciously bothering you and you obviously just don't know it yet?

I generally mope and get snappy with people. It's frustrating but it passes...

....cunts. :P

If you find out let me know because I am fuckin' furious right now.

Been fucked around by a roofer for a month, job a 1/4 done and then left saying they were coming back tomorrow. Never saw or heard from them again. Rang them 5 times, got fobbed off, they never call back. The bastards even invoiced me for the full amount before they even turned up the first time (a week late by the way). Now they claim they completed the job (but they don't remember when), while we were out, a "week or two" ago. And you didn't tell me this the last 3 times I called? Anyway. They owe me proof it's done before they get paid.

Oh yeah as to the question. Take a walk with a dog.

Edited by Hlass

Hlass: ACCC, call them now immediately.

ACCC or ACA. Equally effective. ;)

A rubbish roofer is as good a story as a shonky builder, right?

How do you normally handle anger?

Vodka, straight and drink the whole bottle. I prefer GreyGoose L'Orange :D.

Or if you have prescribed Marijuana, smoke it!

Or if you cant do either, just take a nice warm shower or bath (I never tried this, this is what my friend does when she comes over angry and/or upset).

Do you let people know if they have pissed you off?

I do let people know if they pissed me off, they need to know what not to do next time.

Do you try to break things that aren't working?

I did that once, doesn't help breaking stuff and needing to repair it later. Just let it out with a shout. I start with a FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Then its off to hit the Grey Goose. I got a few in my fridge muahahaha :p.

I've been getting angrier as time's gone on. I used to be a reflecting lake of absolute calm, now I get wild over little shit.

What's weird though is the stuff that gets me going. Perfect example about a year ago, guy was talking on his phone and drove into my car in a parking lot, no problem. Car's all scratched up anyway, don't worry about it. But if a shop doesn't have EFTPOS? I bring the FUCKING APOCALYPSE with me. Shit going cockeyed at work? No worries, I'll figure it out. Alfoil adheres to bottom of home made pizza? BREAK PLATE AND CRUSH DISOBEDIENT PIZZA IN FIST OF DOOM.

It's a very strange thing.

I think about hanging myself. Or are you using bad mood in the sense of angry? Oh in that case I think about killing lots of people then hanging myself.

I've been getting angrier as time's gone on. I used to be a reflecting lake of absolute calm, now I get wild over little shit.

What's weird though is the stuff that gets me going. Perfect example about a year ago, guy was talking on his phone and drove into my car in a parking lot, no problem. Car's all scratched up anyway, don't worry about it. But if a shop doesn't have EFTPOS? I bring the FUCKING APOCALYPSE with me. Shit going cockeyed at work? No worries, I'll figure it out. Alfoil adheres to bottom of home made pizza? BREAK PLATE AND CRUSH DISOBEDIENT PIZZA IN FIST OF DOOM.

It's a very strange thing.

Haha, just lolled pretty hard at work.

I have heard that ponstan is effective.

I got snappy at stoopid shit on the roads, but it's dangerous and gets me into tight spots. had to find my inner calm and just focus on the correct actions or I would get distracted and get into trouble.

in general, I drink fluids (i know) and get a good nights sleep and aim to gave a better day tomorrow.

I also like 95.3fm after 5pm (6pm fridays)

Ever since I have known you via this site you have never struck me as placid, quite the opposite in fact, I guess I have just always thought of you as someone who is just like that.

to answer your question exercise is the best way to let frustration out, get a boxing bag or something, when you get pissed off let it all out on that, not only will you feel better but you get the added benefit of doing some cardio.

:)

I thought it was icing sugar :)

Inanimate objects can annoy me into a bit of swearing, the cat tripping me up and causing me to have five stitches in my chin led to his name changing for a few days :) but people rarely annoy me enough to cause more than a sigh. On the rare occasions that they do it's probably a good idea that they leave the planet :)

As to how I deal with it - don't really know, music sometimes, go net surfing - if it ever gets real bad go skydive, best way there is to put the world into perspective, get an adrenaline rush, forget about any worries and blow out the mental cobwebs, but it's been years since I needed that.

I think I'm if anything calmer as I get older, and Tak, I haven't seen you in a while but you can't have changed THAT much, calmest person I know :)

Cheers

I hang out with my pets. They have a calming effect.

Also a good shout out loud makes me feel better but I make sure I don't do that in front of people. People feel bad if you do that.

I just change the subject; get away from whatever's pissing me off.

Sometimes you can't do that straight away, though... like today, I'd been working at this absolute shitfight of a place for a week and a half, and I found myself wandering around trying to do something useful yet again in spite of the hopeless mess created by epic management fail, and barely managing 10 or 20% productivity... and of course, I found myself seething at the useless bastards who'd bitten off about 250% of what the site, workforce and equipment could ever hope to manage...

And I couldn't just say fuck this and go home... well, I could, but it's hardly a good look. I could only call my agency and tell em not to send me back there on Monday. So in the meantime, I just had to cop it on the chin, basically. I couldn't really find a much better way of dealing with it, since I couldn't just bury my head in work - work meant walking around like a spare dick trying to find a needle in a haystack, asking for help finding stuff, giving help finding stuff, and begging each other for equipment; I had my nose rubbed in it constantly.

So there wasn't a whole lot I could do in such as case to stop my mood getting worse, other than to try and divest myself of my work ethic as far as that was place was concerned, and commiserate with others.

I don't really get angry. I get frustrated a fair bit though. I usually just read a book or shoot someone in the face in a FPS if it's bad frustration.

Last time I was angry was like 2 years ago.