alex8337

Returned two 6970's under warranty for overheating

Just thought I'd make a thread about how I've returned both of my 6970's for causing almost every game I throw at them to overheat. They where hitting temperatures of above 90 degrees and up to 100 causing an almost instant system crash.

They've been sent back to pc case gear and after passing the warranty process there, they have been returned to the manufacturer.

One was a Gigabyte reference model HD6970 and the other was a HIS reference model HD6970.

Since the return I've been using a HD6770 which works flawlessly for hours with no crashes.

System specs:

AMD 1090T with Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

G.Skill 16gb 1600mhz

OCZ Vertex 2 60gb SSD with Arctic cooling turbo module

SilverStone 1000w Gold

Lian Li PC-7FNWX

140mm and 120mm intake at the front

140mm and 120mm outtake on top and on the back

Edit: The cards had a two space gap between them, one on the top was in x16 slot and the one on the bottom was in the bottom x8 slot.

Edited by alex8337

sometimes you get one card with a bad mount or something that makes it get hot but its rather odd to get two different cards at once nearing 100c

90c is fairly normal for cards but the fan normally speeds up to stop them getting any hotter than 90-95c and they shouldnt be unstable at this

sometimes the cards dont ike being sandwiched together and one of the two can overheat but in most cases they still work ok

when you get them back try spacing the cards out a bit more so the second card is down the bottom in the 8x slot

maybe try the rear or top fan as intake to create a little positive pressure in the case as it is probably a slight vacuum at the moment

its probably got more to do with dual card setup than individual fault with one card.

even my overclocked 5770s can go 90+ in CF sandwich while under full load for a few days.

I added a fan and got it down to 85. They have never crashed my system though.

Sorry to hear about your 6970s, are you getting replacements or different cards now?

Edited by p0is(+)n

I forgot to mention that they are not sandwiched, one is in the top x16 slot and the other is in the bottom x8 slot, so there is a 2 space gap between the two cards.

The cards would crash on desktop when they where sandwiched.

I'm not sure exactly which card was worse than the other with the temperatures but both companies advertise that their cards run in crossfire. So as far as I'm concerned, they are both faulty as neither of them work together. The support team at PCCG agreed with this, thats why they agreed to take both of them back rather than ask me to test them each individually and just send one back.

I would like to assume that the Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 2GB Overclocked with 'Gigabyte's Windforce 3X cooling' would have lower temperatures than the reference design. So depending on what PCCG allow me to do, I'd like to exchange them for two of those. Either that or a single 6990 but only because I would be using one, so a single 6990 should be able to handle the heat that it generates.

the reference coolers normally work really well and often better than the likes of that gigabyte cooler when in sli as they dump a lot of heat into the case once you start using more than one card it can get rather hot in there without a good deal of airflow

i would rather two reference 6970 over a 6990 to

it sounds like at least one of your cards was definitely faulty and will hopefully work fine when you get them back

Edited by Dasa

got any fan holes ont he side panel? if you dont cut some and put some fans there! will help a treat

got any fan holes ont he side panel? if you dont cut some and put some fans there! will help a treat

that it would but it shouldnt be needed with reference cooling and two cards in cf/sli

IMO its the case and motherboard design to blame here, case with next to no ventilation and a mobo with both x16 slots close together is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by nesquick

IMO its the case and motherboard design to blame here, case with next to no ventilation and a mobo with both x16 slots close together is a recipe for disaster.

the case should have enough ventilation to keep up with two cards that exhaust there heat and as he said above the second card was in a 8x slot so it had a nice big gap

i have got the HIS 6970 reference and the Gigabyte overclocked one with the 3 fans on it, both under load only get about 72-76 max on a warm day. the side of my case is off at the moment untill i cut the grill out for the side fan (makes a whistling noise).

the case should have enough ventilation to keep up with two cards that exhaust there heat and as he said above the second card was in a 8x slot so it had a nice big gap

well I have a lian li case similar to what he has and I wouldn't put a multi card setup in it without at least putting some much better fans in, nice case just terrible airflow, the fans are only like 30cfm.

I have to admit... I only changed the stock fans to get some pretty red lights in my case.

There is one red 140mm Enermax T.B.Apollish (CFM 45.40) at the front for intake,

another 120mm Lian-Li case fan at the front in a three bay intake.

There is one 120mm Enermax T.B.Silence (CFM 42.11) at the back for outtake,

another red 140mm Enermax T.B.Apollish (CFM 45.40) at the top of the case for outtake,

then there are two Noctua NF-P12 120mm Fans on the CPU cooler,

last but not least there is an RC Turbo Module on the RAM.

Do you think I have a problem with the airflow?

Edited by alex8337

having a slightly negative air pressure may suck some of the hot air expelled by the gpu's back into the case and threw the gpu again which wouldn't help and positive pressure or direct airflow has been shown to help gpu temps a fair bit but then there will always be room for improvement

your airflow in that case while not great for running high overclocks the cards should have worked perfectly fine if there was nothing wrong with them

ive been getting some crazy heat off my 6970 its alarming. my fans are still stock so im considering adding a new fan into the spare port. but before i was running a 4890 and the case did not get noticably hot, i would have described it as "cold" even when playing a game. now playing skyrim or bf3, w/e the card and in turn the case gets mega-hot as in you cant leave your hang on it for to long or will actually start to hurt. hasnt caused any crashes for me as of yet but is alarming.

ive been getting some crazy heat off my 6970 its alarming. my fans are still stock so im considering adding a new fan into the spare port. but before i was running a 4890 and the case did not get noticably hot, i would have described it as "cold" even when playing a game. now playing skyrim or bf3, w/e the card and in turn the case gets mega-hot as in you cant leave your hang on it for to long or will actually start to hurt. hasnt caused any crashes for me as of yet but is alarming.

you may want to make a post about that and give the full system specs as that sounds like it is realy short on airflow and getting dangerously hot

its the kinda problem the above build would probably run into if they got two of the three fan gigabyte cards rather than cards that exhaust most the heat

So PCCG sent me one of the two cards back.

A 'refurbished' 6970, it has no back plate on it, the PCB is wavy directly across from the 8+6 pin power plugs and when I first plugged it in, the fan made a clipping noise for about 5min before it faded away and is now silent. The clipping noise sounded like the fan was catching on something.

It was obvious that the screws on the card where over tightened.

I called PCCG to tell them about the card that I had been sent, the guy on the phone has agreed to send a courier to pick up the card.

It should never have been sent to me in that condition, the warranty team at PCCG should have noticed the flaws in the card and not passed it on to the customer (myself).

3rd time lucky? I hope so

yeah i had a problem with my 6970 as Dasa has stated about mounting i pulled it apart the thermal paste was like totally dried out so i cleaned it and replaced it with Artic silver 5 temps dropped by 10 degrees gaming which was quite nice

the noise you heard could have been the wires that go into the pcb of the vid card which are located next to the fan..

Edited by shirl

So PCCG sent me one of the two cards back.

A 'refurbished' 6970, it has no back plate on it, the PCB is wavy directly across from the 8+6 pin power plugs and when I first plugged it in, the fan made a clipping noise for about 5min before it faded away and is now silent. The clipping noise sounded like the fan was catching on something.

It was obvious that the screws on the card where over tightened.

I called PCCG to tell them about the card that I had been sent, the guy on the phone has agreed to send a courier to pick up the card.

It should never have been sent to me in that condition, the warranty team at PCCG should have noticed the flaws in the card and not passed it on to the customer (myself).

3rd time lucky? I hope so

Chances are PCCG would not have given it a look over once they received it, it would have been forwarded straight to you.

I've found their Warranty team to be very good and thorough.

Had to submitted by 6970 the other day for warranty (Gigabyte pre-overclock/tri fan edition); started artifacting like crazy for no reason, within a few mins of system boot (including while in bios).

It's Centrecom I'm having go deal with for the RNA process... Knowing them (through a good mate that used to be at top of their hierarchy) I'll probably be looking at a 6 week turn-around.

Using a Sapphire 4870X2 as the replacement, though I'm picking up a second hand GTX480 tomorrow.

So I've got the second card back (the first was sent back a second time), its the same card with the same serial number, it looks like the screws have just been tightened.

Its still randomly freezing in Bad Company 2 online always within 30min, each time between 89 and 91 degrees, always at 60fps, the GPU usage ranges from 73 to 92%.

I'll call PCCG again and send this card back, AGAIN.

Not happy with this at all.

Edited by alex8337

If you are only getting this freeze with battlefield 2. Are you running a gigabyte motherboard. If so uninstall easy tune(comes with the gigabyte software cd) because that is a very big reason for crashes and bf2(punkbuster has config issues with any system easytune installed.)

No, I don't have anything like that installed, the only software from gigabyte that I've installed has been the absolute basics needed to run the hardware like the USB3 driver.

The pc does not freeze at all with my spare 6770 card, no matter how many hours I spend playing a single game continuously.

Bad company 2 is not the only game it freezes with, it will eventually freeze with every game on my steam list with decent graphics, its just that BC2 seems to make it freeze within half an hour and some of the other games take hours. So whenever I get the faulty cards back from PCCG, I test with BC2.

Edited by alex8337

You don't have GPU-z running while playing bc2? It makes my bc2 crash 25mins or so from launching.

Although I doubt this would be the case since you say it happens in every game.

This is certainly an airflow and case issue. The 6970 are hot cards, so when your running a crossfire setup you need to have a good cooling solution in place be it DIY or bought.

As for fans try to grab some coolermaster 120mm rifle bearing 90cfm fans they are quiet and pack a lot of punch but are EOL. But don't use these fans too close to graphics cards (i.e. side window or in the case of HAF X that duct) as they will actually create a semi vacuum over the reference blower and increase temps from my experience.