Kimmo

Alex Jones may not be crazy after all.

I do. Look, Im not going to lie, that news (your last 2 posts) I do care about. I think they're both incredibly shitty. But it's a Bill that passed ... I can't do anything about it, on top of which it's an issue for American citizens to stand up against (if they chose to do so).

If this were being passed through in Australia, yes I would be protesting amongst other things, I would HATE to see something similar to this implemented here.

Insanity is the only word that comes to mind.

Obviously the American Government feels the only way it can maintain supremacy is to monitor and essentially enslave their people. America is sounding less like a democratic nation every week or two it seems.

I wonder what will happen with our trips over to The Sates now? Will our / other companies be willing to risk our safety just to attend CEBIT or Blizz Con? I know I don't really want to go back there now, even though I should have nothing to worry about, the whole point of this bill is that you always have something to worry about when visiting The States.

What if you are over there and all of a sudden the US government decided that speaking out against it on a forum like this one was an act of aggression and you were detained permanently?

R.I.P free speech and all that.

EDIT: I agree with you to an certain extent Gharph, it is their problem, but it becomes a world problem when they can enter any country and do the same thing due to political relationships they have in nearly every country. If this were happening in Australia I would happily protest against it on the streets, and if detained at least you could live the rest of your life in a prison knowing you stood up for human rights.

I've been closely following this guy recently and the NDAA is just wrong.

How can the government lock up it's own citizens if they believe they are a terrorist without trial. Trial/court is supposed to find out if you are a terrorist or not.

WTFBQQSAUCE!!!!

I've also read that the U.S will slowly remove the 2nn amendmant (right to bear arms) as the only thing stopping the "establishment." it armed ciitizens....and if they are skilled....even bigger threat.

Edited by the_pest_xxvi

The King of Thailand is a pedophile that rapes children and dogs. That enough or you want more?

well there goes any chance of a thai holiday for you

I do. Look, Im not going to lie, that news (your last 2 posts) I do care about. I think they're both incredibly shitty. But it's a Bill that passed ... I can't do anything about it, on top of which it's an issue for American citizens to stand up against (if they chose to do so).

If this were being passed through in Australia, yes I would be protesting amongst other things, I would HATE to see something similar to this implemented here.

Yeah consider it a warning to watch out for. We are generally only a few years behind the yanks when it comes to this kind of stuff, the disarming of the public is one notable exception that comes to mind. The full body airport scanners and another thing we've followed them on. So I expect that kind of thing will eventuate, though maybe not with the same sense of panic that is happening in the states as we have mentioned, they have an armed and increasingly informed population to deal with so more sever actions are required. Whereas over here we are disarmed and largely ignorant so easier to control. Expect a weird 2012.

You know I have some American friends that I chat too now and again, I can assure you that we are VERY different to USA. For better or worse really. Of course there are similarities, that almost goes without saying. But politically we're vastly different.

You know I have some American friends that I chat too now and again, I can assure you that we are VERY different to USA. For better or worse really. Of course there are similarities, that almost goes without saying. But politically we're vastly different.

True, but in terms of legislation there are many similarities, and we're a lot more American culturally than we were 30 years too.

The King of Thailand is a pedophile that rapes children and dogs. That enough or you want more?

well there goes any chance of a thai holiday for you

Adult dogs or puppies?

And hot on the heels.........

The FAA Reauthorization Act

A bill passed in by Congress this week paves the way for the use of surveillance drones in US skies. The FAA predicts that by 2020 there could be up to 30,000 drones in operation.

Once signed by president Obama, the FAA Reauthorization Act allows for the FAA to permit the use of drones and develop regulations for testing and licensing by 2015.

The bill will exponentially speed up and streamline the process by which the FAA authorizes the use of drones by federal, state and local police and other government agencies. Currently, the FAA issues a certificate on a case by case basis.

The legislation represents the result of a huge push by the military industrial complex to open up US skies to what will become a multi-million dollar business.

The American Civil Liberties Union warned Monday that the legislation could severely undermine Americans’ privacy.

“Unfortunately, nothing in the bill would address the very serious privacy issues raised by drone aircraft,” Jay Stanley of the ACLU said. “This bill would push the nation willy-nilly toward an era of aerial surveillance without any steps to protect the traditional privacy that Americans have always enjoyed and expected.”

A d v e r t i s e m e n t

“We don’t want to wonder, every time we step out our front door, whether some eye in the sky is watching our every move.” the ACLU statement reads.

“The bottom line is: domestic drones are potentially extremely powerful surveillance tools, and that power — like all government power — needs to be subject to checks and balances,” Stanley concluded. “We hope that Congress will carefully consider the privacy implications that this technology can lead to.”

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) re-iterated those privacy concerns, noting that the bill has “implications for surveillance by government agencies.”

The EFF is suing the FAA to obtain records of which agencies were granted certificates to operate drones in the past year, following a refusal by the federal agency to disclose which agencies have the certificates and for what purpose.

Other privacy advocates also share concern over the legislation.

“Currently, the only barrier to the routine use of drones for persistent surveillance are the procedural requirements imposed by the FAA for the issuance of certificates,” said Amie Stepanovich, national security counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC).

Hmm, wonder who they'd like to take away citizenship from?

FBI manual: Muslims are terror sympathisers

Muslim: Quip led to terror probe

Fucking Yanks shit me to tears. I'll prolly enjoy this...

ahahahaa, that was awesome. :) It's like Falling Down for the new century.

i like bobcat goldthwaite

as for yanks shitting you to tears, that's just pathetic stereotyping

i am sure a good number of them think their elected representatives are as far removed from reality as our supposed representatives are

to judge a country by the quality of its politicians is to judge fine beef by the odour of the cowpat its source once dispensed

Oh for crying out loud.

No stereotyping is happening on this side of my words; only in the interpretation. I didn't try to tar them all with the same brush, I merely referred to them collectively in passing.

The Yanks (as a whole) shit me to tears, and this is a simple fact, the fact that many of them are without doubt fine and wonderful and people notwithstanding, partly because the proportion that are seems to be diminishing as a result of the direction their culture's been heading for some decades.

They're responsible for what I regard as Mankind's greatest achievement, but there's a big, bad flipside.

And anyone who imagines their headspace doesn't matter to us is living in a dreamworld.

I could easily pump out 2,000 words on this, but I'd rather play Skyrim...

Let's just say that if I overheard someone say, 'fucking Aussies shit me to tears', I'd have to ask why... but if they said cause we're a pack of racist cunts I'd have to agree, since the majority of us fit that description.

Edited by Kimmo

Oh for crying out loud.

No stereotyping is happening on this side of my words; only in the interpretation. I didn't try to tar them all with the same brush, I merely referred to them collectively in passing.

The Yanks (as a whole) shit me to tears, and this is a simple fact, the fact that many of them are without doubt fine and wonderful and people notwithstanding, partly because the proportion that are seems to be diminishing as a result of the direction their culture's been heading for some decades.

They're responsible for what I regard as Mankind's greatest achievement, but there's a big, bad flipside.

And anyone who imagines their headspace doesn't matter to us is living in a dreamworld.

I could easily pump out 2,000 words on this, but I'd rather play Skyrim...

Let's just say that if I overheard someone say, 'fucking Aussies shit me to tears', I'd have to ask why... but if they said cause we're a pack of racist cunts I'd have to agree, since the majority of us fit that description.

sorry for the wrong attribution, director

and to the o.p. : generalisation is so banal

i don't begin to suggest that american influence on australia (and the "free world" - ha! in general) doesn't matter; in fact i recently railed against their erosion of our language

a loud and fucked up minority doesn't make them a majority any more than pauline hanson and her ilk define australia

with all due respect for your comment, your explanation doesn't make it any more acceptable or credible

No Probs.

I know quite a few yanks and they're mostly pretty nice, but I also agree with Kimmos generalisation. The problem is that of all the ones I know NONE of them much of a clue outside of their immediate surroundings and the ones that do are (like us) completely frustrated at their inability to change anything. In democracies you can change things, in dictatorships you can't. They also have next to no clue about what there gubmunt is up to and they actually believe what they see in the main stream media, so given all that, and the state of the world and the push to WW3 that's going on ATM it's not hard to understand what Kimmo means. It's the paradigm more than the people.

I keep in touch with about 3 Americans ... 1 of which knows more about Australia than me it seems (apart from our customs, etc). But hey my knowledge of all things America is fairly low.

No Probs.

I know quite a few yanks and they're mostly pretty nice, but I also agree with Kimmos generalisation. The problem is that of all the ones I know NONE of them much of a clue outside of their immediate surroundings and the ones that do are (like us) completely frustrated at their inability to change anything. In democracies you can change things, in dictatorships you can't.

Massive cop out. They have a vote and they can use it. The people get the government they vote for. (with the exception of the 2000 presidential election)

No Probs.

I know quite a few yanks and they're mostly pretty nice, but I also agree with Kimmos generalisation. The problem is that of all the ones I know NONE of them much of a clue outside of their immediate surroundings and the ones that do are (like us) completely frustrated at their inability to change anything. In democracies you can change things, in dictatorships you can't.

Massive cop out. They have a vote and they can use it. The people get the government they vote for. (with the exception of the 2000 presidential election)

And the 2004 one, and the last one was just a marketing coup and the current primaries are simply a farce (JIC anyone's been paying attention.) That's assuming you were lucky enough to get a voting booth that actually had one of the dodgy Diebold machines...a LOT of people didn't.

And dude, it's too early for subtle humour. :)

No Probs.

we get the people we vote for too, would you say ?

as they say "if voting could change anything, it would be illegal"

any pretence of democracy in western society is farcical - they no more represent the general populace than any bureaucratically endorsed candidates of a rigid party structure are able to escape the payback from independent representation of their electorate in defiance of party policy

it's a career for party politicians, and just like i have to largely practice medicine in accordance with a western medical belief structure or risk being disendorsed, they have to kiss arse constantly - at least i only have to trust science (and mostly, though not universally, i do), and occasionally look up arseholes, rather than be one or publicly recommend stuff that pours out of them as wholesome food for the masses

the only difference between dictatorships and modern western government is the self delusion of current officials that they are being tyrants and suppressing long enjoyed personal freedoms to improve their country and make everything "safe"

however, life isn't safe in any event, and the improvements aren't improvements - the "elected" representatives are in the business of staying elected, not doing what people are told they are elected for, which is making rational decisions based on the greatest good for the most (even if they won't vote for you) and planning appropriately for foreseeable needs

on my score as a voter of 35+ years - fail !

Nah, they get the gov the majority of the preferences go to Hlass. ;{)

Edited by Elfarch

No Probs.

And the 2004 one, and the last one was just a marketing coup and the current primaries are simply a farce (JIC anyone's been paying attention.) That's assuming you were lucky enough to get a voting booth that actually had one of the dodgy Diebold machines...a LOT of people didn't.

A "marketing" coup made people incapable of not voting for the Democrats? The job of a candidate is to get into power. A vote is the decision of the voter. If you object to that and disengage yourself you cannot whinge about being disengaged. Thus a government is the decision of the voting public. There is a lot of money and party politics muddying the water but that fact remains.

Tell us about the political system you would prefer.

we get the people we vote for too, would you say ?

as they say "if voting could change anything, it would be illegal"

any pretence of democracy in western society is farcical - they no more represent the general populace than any bureaucratically endorsed candidates of a rigid party structure are able to escape the payback from independent representation of their electorate in defiance of party policy

Vote clearly does "change things". If it doesn't change them to your satisfaction you are free to campaign for a different result next time.

benevolent dictatorship

beats the crap out of pretentious non-representation

and after a suitable incumbency, if the boss goes sour - early dispatch by internet polling plebiscite, followed by publicly sanctioned assassination if a 2/3 majority feel they need the ultimate hint

i'd vote for that

Vote clearly does "change things". If it doesn't change them to your satisfaction you are free to campaign for a different result next time.

my federal representative is tony abbott

no, i didn't vote for him, and i believe my vote for any alternative is a fart in a cyclone

and yes, i always vote below the line for the upper house, and sometimes we get lucky

the best thing australians ever get is either a hung parliament, or a hostile senate

not because it helps in any good decisions, but at least it frustrates the patently poor ones

benevolent dictatorship

beats the crap out of pretentious non-representation

and after a suitable incumbency, if the boss goes sour - early dispatch by internet polling plebiscite, followed by publicly sanctioned assassination if a 2/3 majority feel they need the ultimate hint

i'd vote for that

Presuming you are serious.

How do we appoint the dictator? Some sort of electoral process?

And then you want elections but only for removal? So the people of your fictional state can be relied upon only to vote against and not for?