scruffy1

android privacy

Do we actually know if it logs keys? All I've seen so far are logcat logs, and that tells me nothing about what the app itself is storing. My app prints heaps of shit to logcat, but I store almost none of it. It's for debugging purposes only.

Isn't that what the video demonstrated? If I was to send an SMS, it captures my input?

Isn't that what the video demonstrated? If I was to send an SMS, it captures my input?

As far as I can tell, he's just using DDMS to read logcat. It may very well be intercepting everything, but that doesn't mean it's storing or transferring that info anywhere.

That's not to say I agree with CarrierIQ and its lack of transparency. What I want to see is the information being transmitted back to the carriers, not logcat logs.

No one from CarrierIQ will confirm that, though.

...except in that Register interview linked above. sure, i'd rather hear it from the lead programmer rather than the 'VP of marketing' :S, but its a clear confirmation nonetheless:

"The content of the SMS is never stored and never transmitted,"

"The content of SMS messages are never logged. There are two things that happen when SMS messages are received. One is, obviously, we count them, the ones that succeed, the ones that fail. We do also record the telephone numbers the SMSs are from and to. So for example, if you send and SMS to me and it fails, you want to be able to work out did it not leave your phone, was it a communication problem with the tower, did it somehow not get to me in the last mile. This is a two-way conversation. You need the know both ends of the chain to understand.

The content of the SMS is never stored and never transmitted."

"The key taps, remember, are being filtered and dropped so that's never making its way into any captured [data]."

Yeah, this seems like a case of the carriers fucking up by not being transparent about it, and CarrierIQ looking suspect by trying to sue the guy that found the logs. Add a hint of sensationalist media, and angry users who don't really know what they're angry about, and you get fun!

At the end of the day, the main problem here isn't the data being transmitted, but the fact that users were never formally notified. If you want carriers to improve their network, you're going to have to give them information, it doesn't happen magically.