mark84

Piledriver and Trinity

Thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to the Bulldozer/Llano refresh chips.

Some pics to refresh ourselves:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Piledriver is a little way aways yet, but Trinity isn't far off...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2...h_Document.html

AMD to Start Production of Desktop "Trinity" APU in March - Document.

AMD to Commence Production of A-Series FM2 Fusion APUs in March, 2012

Advanced Micro Devices plans to initiate manufacturing of its next-generation code-named Trinity accelerated processing units (APUs) for desktops in March, 2012. Initially, the company will target low-power systems and sometimes in May in plans to start manufacturing of high-performance next-gen Fusion A-series APUs.

Staring from early and middle March, 2012, AMD intends to mass produce its A-series "Trinity" accelerated processing units with 65W thermal design power (TDP), according to an AMD document seen by X-bit labs. In early May, 2012, the chip designer wants to initiate mass production of A-series "Trinity" APUs with 100W TDP and higher performance.

The 65W chips will belong to A10-5700, A8-5500, A6-5400 and A4-5300 families, whereas 100W microprocessors will only fit into A10-5800 and A8-5600 series.

It is unclear whether AMD will launch all versions of its chips at the same time, or microprocessors with 65W TDP that will hit mass production two months earlier will be formally introduced earlier than the more powerful parts.

Before releasing its highly-anticipated A-series "Trinity" APUs for desktop computer later in the year, AMD will refresh the family of its accelerated processing units with unlocked A8-3870K and A6-3670K "Llano" chips as well as A8-3820, A6-3620 and A4-3420 products in January, 2012.

AMD did not comment on its plans since they are not yet made public.

AMD’s second-generation code-named Trinity APU for mainstream personal computers (Comal for notebooks and Virgo for desktops) will be made using 32nm SOI HKMG process technology at Globalfoundries. The APU will feature up to four x86 cores powered by enhanced Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture, AMD Radeon HD 7000-series "Southern Islands" graphics core with DirectX 11-class graphics support, DDR3 memory controller and other improvements. The chips will be compatible with new FM2 infrastructure.

According to a slide that resembles those from AMD's presentations published by a web-site, AMD projects Trinity's Piledriver x86 cores to offer up to 20% higher performance compared to Husky x86 cores inside Llano. In addition, the newly-architected DirectX 11 graphics core will provide up to 30% higher speed in graphics applications, such as video games. The 20% speed improvement represents AMD's projections "using digital media workload" and actual performance advantage over currently available Fusion A-series "Llano" vary depending on the applications and usage models.

AMD expects the new Trinity APUs to be not only faster than Llano, but also more available because of improved yields as well as because increased number of 32nm SOI/HKMG wafer starts starting from the fourth quarter.

Improved yeilds will be nice for them. I think they've been struggling to match orders made for Llano.

Llano is still quite hard to source for the notebooks. I think AMD is a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of orders really. I've only started to see Toshiba and as well as Asus selling their Llano notebooks down here. This is compared to other regions which got their Llano notebooks easily.

Anyone else having trouble thinking about something other than Dozer pile driving Trinity?

Anyone?

LOL

In other news:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/29/...dozer_questions

The idea I get from that is that they feel the architecture will scale well.

Here's hoping.

Most of the answers weren't answers just more spin and hot air.

Yea I gotta say that the answers were just crap -Q: "If we look at the majority of benchmarks bulldozer performs significantly worse then almost any intel chip? why does bulldozer suck?" A: "Bulldozer is a forward looking processor and by that we mean that it was designed not to suck in the future, so despite the fact that we will have new cpus out by the time these predicted workloads arrive and finally make these cpus competitive, we believe that because it was a little faster in a couple of benchmarks that it was not a flop and in fact a roaring success"

I'm a long time AMD fan and I actually believe that this architecture has some potential its just that I think they made all the wrong compromises for this point in time.

Edited by UberPenguin

All the answers were "multithreading" is the future ... them SB hyperthread and multithread pretty good too!

so... considering the most graphically intensive game I play is Starcraft 2, at what point could I get away with not having a discrete GPU?

So when the cat is away.... the mice make new threads to undermine the established ones....? (Just got the internet back... my god the hassles.... but hello Telstra Velocity [fibre optic])

:P

Trinity is an exciting product. OEM's are apparently loving Llano... it's ticks the boxes of sufficient CPU and GPU performance and it's all in the one package, which can make it cater for multiple, and rather exotic form factors. AMD needs this chip. It's probably the future they are referring to in recent statements.

Anyone else having trouble thinking about something other than Dozer pile driving Trinity?

Anyone?

Oh you...

SceptreCore's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an in no way excited :-P

You better believe it!

High fives*

Welcome back Sceptre. How'd the house move go?

So when the cat is away.... the mice make new threads to undermine the established ones....?

Not really. After 115 pages I think it's time to freshen up for the next cores. Besides, they're not really called Bulldozer so deserve a different thread.

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/25...yields-are-good

Sources close to AMD have revealed that Trinity, the next generation of Fusion APU, is looking good.

Llano suffered from poor yields but it looks like Trinity has much better yields than its predecessor. We have already reported about the fact that CPU gets slightly faster than on Llano parts, but the graphics part ends up significantly faster.

Trinity should launch in Q1 2012 and hopefully nudge AMD off to a good start in what is expected to be a very challenging year spiced up with a lot of changes in the CPU market. We are still asking around, but all we are currently hearing is that 28nm Krishna and Wichita are most likely cancelled and that there won’t be any 28nm replacement.

Trinity is based on Piledriver, an enhanced Bulldozer core, but as you’ve probably seen by now, the desktop Bulldozer versions are not as fast as many have hoped for. However, Trinity is not aimed at the high end anyway, so the Piledriver core should suffice.

Trinity will probably do quite well in many desktop and notebook environments as it will be pretty affordable and it will offer good performance for the price.

Well based on piledriver cores, if they can squeeze a +10% increase per core in hardware revisions alone and get out their talked about scheduler patch for windows 7 (which according to the windows 8 preview could net a further 10%) then it could actually be a very good APU and cpu performance should be quite good.

Edited by UberPenguin

SceptreCore's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an in no way excited :-P

You better believe it!

High fives*

Yeah boiiieeee.

Welcome back Sceptre. How'd the house move go?

So when the cat is away.... the mice make new threads to undermine the established ones....?

Not really. After 115 pages I think it's time to freshen up for the next cores. Besides, they're not really called Bulldozer so deserve a different thread.

The house move... As any, was awful. But now I'm settled and enjoying super fast interwebs. My math determines it 66.6 times faster than my previous internet access.

Also I will reemphasize. (Like I've tried so many times before.) Bulldozer was the name of the overall arch, and the first iteration core design. Piledriver won't be an overall arch change, but will focus on the cores that make up modules. It will also become the die name I suppose.... Anything that builds upon the original arch will just be the next version of BD.

Yeah given that Piledriver and Bulldozer are completely different cores it makes more sense to move to a new thread.

Also I will reemphasize. (Like I've tried so many times before.) Bulldozer was the name of the overall arch, and the first iteration core design. Piledriver won't be an overall arch change, but will focus on the cores that make up modules. It will also become the die name I suppose.... Anything that builds upon the original arch will just be the next version of BD.

Hehe, I knew you're gonna say that.

Agree and acknowledged. But any new chips will be largely referred to as Piledriver and Trinity by the community at large. And the sooner we and AMD can forget about Bulldozer (the chip not arch) and look to Piledriver and beyond the better.

Simply not referring to them as Bulldozer may go a long way to removing any stigma that may be attached to them otherwise.

There's nothing stopping people posting about current gen BD chips or the architecture as a whole in your original thread though. For me it's time to move on and look at the new stuff on the horizon.

Hehe, I knew you're gonna say that.

Agree and acknowledged. But any new chips will be largely referred to as Piledriver and Trinity by the community at large. And the sooner we and AMD can forget about Bulldozer (the chip not arch) and look to Piledriver and beyond the better.

Simply not referring to them as Bulldozer may go a long way to removing any stigma that may be attached to them otherwise.

There's nothing stopping people posting about current gen BD chips or the architecture as a whole in your original thread though. For me it's time to move on and look at the new stuff on the horizon.

To be correct, people not referring the right code names caused all the confusion in the first place. There are some things AMD need to keep to itself to not confuse anyone. (or maybe it is good... whatever) Anyway. Everyone should have called it Orochi. But now the blame lies squarely on the 'Bulldozer' moniker. Even though to me it's still a great chip that just competes with Intel's top offerings. And IB won't be an improvement in CPU performance either, maybe 3-5% better, but focus on tiny bit of polish and new GPU tech. Perhaps Chipzilla is getting complacent and sleepy again. But I digress. Whatever the die name is.... that is what we should refer to the coming chip to be.

Anyone remember where those slides are?

Vishera for 8 core variant?

Trinity, Weatherford, and Richland for 2-4 core Llano replacements?

Seeing as Sceptrecore would like his old thread buried, I'll post this info here

New Llano chips will be here soon, and they're a little more friendly for atomicans

AMD A8-3870K and A6-3670K up for Pre-Order

and

AMD May Introduce Ultrabook Alternative Next Month

Interestingly, this piece of news came from Australia, with Tom's Hardware referencing The Australian. AMD Australia say that they may appear locally first as well

And Ultrabook with graphics power? Bring it on!!!

Edited by nobody813