mark84

Piledriver and Trinity

Seeing as Sceptrecore would like his old thread buried, I'll post this info here

New Llano chips will be here soon, and they're a little more friendly for atomicans

AMD A8-3870K and A6-3670K up for Pre-Order

and

AMD May Introduce Ultrabook Alternative Next Month

Interestingly, this piece of news came from Australia, with Tom's Hardware referencing The Australian. AMD Australia say that they may appear locally first as well

And Ultrabook with graphics power? Bring it on!!!

Toms hardware playing Chinese whispers...

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/282809,...n-branding.aspx

That said there will be surely some good things coming with Trinity in this space.

Seeing as Sceptrecore would like his old thread buried, I'll post this info here

Current gen Bulldozer stuff still belongs over in the other thread.

Thread topics and content don't get mixed then.

Ok so here's an interesting tidbit that I missed (and I'm assuming others might have too):

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/25...unch-in-q3-2012

So my question is if Trinity is launching in Q1 (using piledriver cores) and Vishera is launching in late Q3 (using piledriver cores) what is the holdup? Potential optimising? Serious lazyness because they are making more money in the lano/trinity market?

With ivybridge coming in before Q3, this seems like a bad idea if they were expecting to steal any sales from intel.

Edited by UberPenguin

Ok so here's an interesting tidbit that I missed (and I'm assuming others might have too):

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/25...unch-in-q3-2012

So my question is if Trinity is launching in Q1 (using piledriver cores) and Vishera is launching in late Q3 (using piledriver cores) what is the holdup? Potential optimising? Serious lazyness because they are making more money in the lano/trinity market?

With ivybridge coming in before Q3, this seems like a bad idea if they were expecting to steal any sales from intel.

Fudzilla isn't renowned for it's accuracy. But keep an eye out for other site's reporting the date.

They've been talking piledriver for a while, so I wouldn't expect Vishera to be that far off. If they could pull off a Q1 launch for trinity... then Q2 for Vishera shouldn't be that difficult.

Also. I think you're going to see Fusion will become the core product for AMD's CPU division now... seeing as how manu's want their hands on it... and they can't get enough.

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/25...yields-are-good

Yeah. Piledriver ain't nuthin'.

Trinity reverse cowgirls the nuts off of 'Dozer.

Hehe.... gross. Edited by SceptreCore

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25504-tr...d-to-ultrabooks

AMD has high hopes of Trinity, as the yields of this new APU are much better than Llano according to industry sources.

Despite the fact that we reported multiple time that Trinity APU should launch in Q1 2012, AMD is only comfortable saying that it will be avalaible in first half of 2012.

AMD did showcase their dual core AMD Brazos C50 notebook from Asus that was quite thin and nice. We heard that the one with Trinity will end up even thinner than the current model. This is a good news for AMD as it will also end up cheaper than Intel's Ultrabooks, and the machine showcased had a 8 hour battery life sticker. Let's hope they are right about that.

Overall, they might make a change for the better with the Trinity one over Llano.

I'm having hopes for Trinity penetrating the market better than Llano. So far, I'm dead certain I'll be replacing this POS laptop for a Trinity laptop.

I'm having hopes for Trinity penetrating the market better than Llano. So far, I'm dead certain I'll be replacing this POS laptop for a Trinity laptop.

I'm hoping so too, my laptop is essentially a big paperweight now being a low end i5.

Was looking at some of the high end Asus laptops but i might wait for now.

I'm hoping so too, my laptop is essentially a big paperweight now being a low end i5.

Was looking at some of the high end Asus laptops but i might wait for now.

The laptop I'm using right now to post is a Dell Latitude. It uses a Pentium III M 1GHz, and I recently doubled the ram to 512MB and added a mini-PCI wireless card so I could use the internet on it

Even after I purchased my new Asus laptop, this has been my primary laptop for obvious reasons :-P

First generation Llano was more power thrifty and more capable then the equivalent Core i5's in it's range.

If Trinity is an improvement on that... then it should be a great product.

First generation Llano was more power thrifty and more capable then the equivalent Core i5's in it's range.

And ironically, much cooler than the Intel i5 laptops. I nearly burned my hands near the exhaust port. On the Llano laptop, no problems. Though this is a pretty extreme case... :P

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22293

According to AMD's Raymond Dumbeck, Trinity will roll out in 35W and 17W variants—shown in that order in the image above. Compared to AMD's existing A-Series APUs, the 35W model's graphics component will purportedly deliver 50% more gigaFLOPS, while the CPU will offer a 25% increase in compute power. We were told the 17W variant boasts similar performance at half the power, making it ideal for ultra-thin notebooks. AMD expects both versions of Trinity to be out around the middle of the year.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2...ssing_Unit.html

According to a slide that resembles those from AMD's presentations published by a web-site, AMD projects Trinity's Piledriver x86 cores to offer up to 20% higher performance compared to Husky x86 cores inside Llano. In addition, the newly-architected DirectX 11 graphics core will provide up to 30% higher speed in graphics applications, such as video games. The 20% speed improvement represents AMD's projections "using digital media workload" and actual performance advantage over currently available Fusion A-series "Llano" vary depending on the applications and usage models. It is unclear whether AMD used an early silicon (which it has at hands) for its projections or makes its predictions based on theoretical data.

Edited by mark84

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22293

According to AMD's Raymond Dumbeck, Trinity will roll out in 35W and 17W variants—shown in that order in the image above. Compared to AMD's existing A-Series APUs, the 35W model's graphics component will purportedly deliver 50% more gigaFLOPS, while the CPU will offer a 25% increase in compute power. We were told the 17W variant boasts similar performance at half the power, making it ideal for ultra-thin notebooks. AMD expects both versions of Trinity to be out around the middle of the year.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2...ssing_Unit.html

According to a slide that resembles those from AMD's presentations published by a web-site, AMD projects Trinity's Piledriver x86 cores to offer up to 20% higher performance compared to Husky x86 cores inside Llano. In addition, the newly-architected DirectX 11 graphics core will provide up to 30% higher speed in graphics applications, such as video games. The 20% speed improvement represents AMD's projections "using digital media workload" and actual performance advantage over currently available Fusion A-series "Llano" vary depending on the applications and usage models. It is unclear whether AMD used an early silicon (which it has at hands) for its projections or makes its predictions based on theoretical data.

Wow. That is amazing. 17w steps on top end Bobcat's toes.

No wonder they canned the next Bobcat iterations. They have to redefine their purpose.

I wonder if Llano/Trinity are using Super Low Power, Low Power High Performance, or High Performance Plus?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2...Developers.html

Posted Image

Advanced Micro Devices has released a document that is supposed to assist software developers to optimize their programs for AMD’s microprocessors based on Bulldozer micro-architecture and forthcoming chips. Among other things, AMD describes peculiarities of Piledriver micro-architecture as well as chips on its base, including Trinity, Vishera, Terramar and Sepang. The document also mentions Steamroller and Excavator micro-architectures

AMD has a rather strong and clear roadmap for the period of the following three years with the aim to increase performance-per-watt of its high-performance cores by approximately 10% - 15% every year. In practice, this transforms into 33% - 52% speed boost of Excavator micro-architecture compared to Bulldozer. Technologically, AMD wants to improve IPC (instructions per clock) performance and reduce power consumption at the same time, which transforms into higher clock-speeds.

Among the revelations regarding Piledriver, noted by CPU-World web-site, are increased number of entries of L1 TLB, deeper FPU load queue, FMA3, BMI, TBM and other new instructions.

Interestingly, but the maximum amount of cores inside Vishera (next-gen FX-class desktop-chip), Sepang (1-die Opteron chip for 1-2 socket servers) and Terramar (2-die Opteron MCM for 2-4 socket servers) microprocessors is considered to be ten, not eight in case of Vishera as noted earlier. Moreover, it looks like the silicon behind all three of the products seems to be very same.

Another notable news is that the AMD family 15h models 2xh chips will physically have quad-channel memory controller, which lets creation of server platforms with extreme memory bandwidth (even eight-channel memory is theoretically possible in case of 4-socket machines). Unfortunately, since Vishera is supposed to be socket AM3+ compatible, it will not support quad-channel DDR3 memory.

AMD calls its Bulldozer microprocessors as AMD family 15h. The already available models have model numbers 00h - 0fh (0xh), Trinity [with Piledriver inside] are believed to carry model numbers 10h – 1fh (1xh), more advanced Piledriver generation of chips will have 20h - 2fh (2xh) model numbers. The document also mentions of 30h - 3fh, and 40h - 4fh processors, but it is unclear whether they belong to Steamroller and Excavator families, or just to Steamroller for clients and Steamroller for servers.

AMD did not comment on the news-story.

Interesting. Looks like Trinity (and in a sense, Vishera) is practically what Zambezi should have been from the start and what Phenom II was for the Phenom I. I'll be interested in upgrading to the newer core once it comes out.

And hopefully, Trinity would be out in force and this laptop can be my dad's lapdog. :P

New Llano chips will be here soon, and they're a little more friendly for atomicans

AMD A8-3870K and A6-3670K up for Pre-Order

and

AMD May Introduce Ultrabook Alternative Next Month

Interestingly, this piece of news came from Australia, with Tom's Hardware referencing The Australian. AMD Australia say that they may appear locally first as well

And Ultrabook with graphics power? Bring it on!!!

Toms hardware playing Chinese whispers...

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/282809,...n-branding.aspx

That said there will be surely some good things coming with Trinity in this space.

Surprising this then comes about

AMD's Ultrabook-Equivalent Platform Up To 20% Cheaper

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2...Developers.html

Posted Image

Advanced Micro Devices has released a document that is supposed to assist software developers to optimize their programs for AMD’s microprocessors based on Bulldozer micro-architecture and forthcoming chips. Among other things, AMD describes peculiarities of Piledriver micro-architecture as well as chips on its base, including Trinity, Vishera, Terramar and Sepang. The document also mentions Steamroller and Excavator micro-architectures

AMD has a rather strong and clear roadmap for the period of the following three years with the aim to increase performance-per-watt of its high-performance cores by approximately 10% - 15% every year. In practice, this transforms into 33% - 52% speed boost of Excavator micro-architecture compared to Bulldozer. Technologically, AMD wants to improve IPC (instructions per clock) performance and reduce power consumption at the same time, which transforms into higher clock-speeds.

Among the revelations regarding Piledriver, noted by CPU-World web-site, are increased number of entries of L1 TLB, deeper FPU load queue, FMA3, BMI, TBM and other new instructions.

Interestingly, but the maximum amount of cores inside Vishera (next-gen FX-class desktop-chip), Sepang (1-die Opteron chip for 1-2 socket servers) and Terramar (2-die Opteron MCM for 2-4 socket servers) microprocessors is considered to be ten, not eight in case of Vishera as noted earlier. Moreover, it looks like the silicon behind all three of the products seems to be very same.

Another notable news is that the AMD family 15h models 2xh chips will physically have quad-channel memory controller, which lets creation of server platforms with extreme memory bandwidth (even eight-channel memory is theoretically possible in case of 4-socket machines). Unfortunately, since Vishera is supposed to be socket AM3+ compatible, it will not support quad-channel DDR3 memory.

AMD calls its Bulldozer microprocessors as AMD family 15h. The already available models have model numbers 00h - 0fh (0xh), Trinity [with Piledriver inside] are believed to carry model numbers 10h – 1fh (1xh), more advanced Piledriver generation of chips will have 20h - 2fh (2xh) model numbers. The document also mentions of 30h - 3fh, and 40h - 4fh processors, but it is unclear whether they belong to Steamroller and Excavator families, or just to Steamroller for clients and Steamroller for servers.

AMD did not comment on the news-story.

Hmmmm.... interesting bit of news to chew on.... thanks Mark.

Quad channel memory looks nice. Will bring it more into line with what Sandy-E offers. Hopefully that's a sign of where it'll perform too.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2...inity_APUs.html

Posted Image

Advanced Micro Devices has increased performance projections for its next-generation code-named Trinity accelerated processing unit and set up launch timeframe for the chip. While AMD Trinity will be faster than initially believed, it will become available only in the middle of the year, which is somewhat later than generally expected based on AMD's comments.

According to performance benchmarks conducted by AMD, the Trinity 35W APU with Piledriver-class x86 cores will provide 25% better x86 performance compared to Llano 35W (with K10.5+ "Husky" x86 cores) based on results obtained in PC Mark Vantage Productivity benchmark. AMD also claims that Trinity 35W will offer up to 50% better result in 3D Mark Vantage performance benchmark compared to Llano 35W.

Earlier released slides, which were also presumably from AMD, projected 20% increase in x86 performance and 30% boost in graphics performance for Trinity compared to currently available A-series "Llano" APUs based on simulations.

Although AMD implied a number of times that it would release Trinity in the first half of the year and rather sooner than later, the official plan now is to launch it in the middle of the year. Some unofficial sources have implied that A-series "Trinity" will be released in June, 2012.

"We are indeed on track with Trinity for mid-2012," said Chris Hook, a spokesman for AMD, without elaborating on actual months or dates.

According to documents seen by X-bit labs, staring from early and middle March, 2012, AMD intends to mass produce its desktop A-series "Trinity" accelerated processing units with 65W thermal design power (TDP). In early May, 2012, the chip designer wants to initiate mass production of desktop A-series "Trinity" APUs with 100W TDP and higher performance.

AMD’s second-generation code-named Trinity APU for mainstream personal computers (Comal for notebooks and Virgo for desktops) will be made using 32nm SOI HKMG process technology at Globalfoundries. The APU will feature up to four x86 cores powered by enhanced Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture, AMD Radeon HD 7000-series "Southern Islands" graphics core with DirectX 11-class graphics support, DDR3 memory controller and other improvements. The chips will be compatible with new infrastructure.

sounding finger lickin' good.

it also means that Vashera parts won't be available after this launch half way through the year.

jut gonna have to bite the bullet and get the 8120.

I hope the supply problems with LLano don't come back and bit AMD like last year.

It shouldn't as I remember a source saying that the supply issues with Trinity doesn't look to be what Llano had to endure.