nobody813

Intel's Ivy Bridge Series Thread

Are the details of the Ivy Bridge laptop CPU's available? I'll be in the market for a 15.6" laptop this year and if the Ivy Bridge CPU's will make a significant improvement to battery life, then I'll hang off til they arrive.

Intel’s Fastest 22nm Mobile Ivy Bridge Chip “Core i7-3920XM” Tested

http://wccftech.com/intels-fastest-22nm-mo...73920xm-tested/

Intel Ivy Bridge: Microarchitecture Details from IDF 2011

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...bridge-idf.html

Intel’s 22nm Ivy Bridge (Mobile) Processor Exposed, Die Size and Architecture Detailed

http://wccftech.com/intels-22nm-ivy-bridge...cessor-exposed/

Edited by Dasa

I'm really hoping that the magazines conduct in-depth reviews of all the motherboard line-ups. At the very least, within a company's lineup, a comparative chart/table is released, that highlight what features are missing from each of the motherboards. There are too many things to look for when deciding which motherboard to go for... sometimes a key feature is overlooked.

ASUS and Gigabyte have comparison features on their sites.

I'm really hoping that the magazines conduct in-depth reviews of all the motherboard line-ups. At the very least, within a company's lineup, a comparative chart/table is released, that highlight what features are missing from each of the motherboards. There are too many things to look for when deciding which motherboard to go for... sometimes a key feature is overlooked.

ASUS and Gigabyte have comparison features on their sites.

Hi fajw,

Thanks for the reply. Reading back on my quoted post, it kind of veered into a direction whereby I didn't explicitly ask for what I had originally intended (hate it when I do that). I ended talking too much on the specs of each board per se, rather than my original thought which was to seek features of each of the boards and in terms of how they relate functionally - are connections placed well on the board etc. That sort of thing. For example, my board (cf. Sign), was reviewed in a different magazine about a month after it came (even though it came out with the rest of the lineup) and got a lower score. The very short review merely stated that there were features missing. If i was to buy the board post review, I'd be asking 'which features?'. You only begin to realise some limitations after trial and error. Do you know what I mean? Apologies that my quoted post didn't really convey what I wanted it to mean.

To me it sounds like you regret jumping the gun on your mobo purchase. I'm in the position that I don't have to upgrade a PC right now, so I can afford to hang on for a while. The two X58 beasts I have are up to the task for the moment, but I do see an X79 board coming my way.

Hi jdm,

Not so much regret, more so a little uninformed. Had I known, for example, that z68 was coming out, I would have held out for that, instead (I also buy some of the other mags too). Re, the possibility of you buying an x79: Niiiiiice! :D

The simple fact is it would be ideal for my household to have at least another two PC's built. An X79 with an Ivy Bridge i5 will fit the bill quite nicely on one of the builds. Plus an SR-X.

The simple fact is it would be ideal for my household to have at least another two PC's built. An X79 with an Ivy Bridge i5 will fit the bill quite nicely on one of the builds.

none of which are compatible :S

The simple fact is it would be ideal for my household to have at least another two PC's built. An X79 with an Ivy Bridge i5 will fit the bill quite nicely on one of the builds. Plus an SR-X.

lol wut

haha... nice catch nobody. that is a little dodgy from intel? its not like they need to TRY that hard, their products are leading the market already..

i think this just lost them some serious credibility...

kind reminds me of other tech announcement failures...

im sure everyones seen it, but it was one of the classics that came to mind

Hahaha yeah, that's classic

I laugh at how the UltraBook struggled starting that video in VLC :-P

yea i mean, if you are going to try and cheat people like that... you could at least do a better job of it

Hahaha yeah, that's classic

I laugh at how the UltraBook struggled starting that video in VLC :-P

yea i mean, if you are going to try and cheat people like that... you could at least do a better job of it

Didn't he say at the end of that video that someone was playing it back stage? Maybe they were streaming, could be why it stuttered at the start?

some pics of gigabyte z77 mb from ces

the heatsinks are not final though just something they have slapped on

http://sinhardware.com/index.php/reviews/m...7-boards-at-ces

Looks like they're sticking with their new all black mobos, can't say I'm disappointed, got so sick of all their Blue mobos..

Hi all,

I bought the February edition of APC today, and they have a feature entitled: 'The PC's Revenge'. I've only had the quickest of a skim at the 'CPUs' part and read the following:

Speed demons shouldn't get too excited as the frequency of Ivy Bridge, at least in the first batch, doesn't seem to be a big step up, with the fastest i7-3770k reaching a Turbo peak of 3.9GHz.

(Bennet Ring, APC, February 2012, p. 25)

I've read through the diagrams supplied earlier in this thread, so I know performance wise, IB wouldn't be the greater overclocker as SB was. But, upon reading the above, would it be wiser to hold off till the 'second batch'? When does a second batch come out? Is it announced?

No second thoughts or anything like that; but the alleged speed increase IS tempting :D

im hoping the lack of clock speed increase is more due to them trying to hit a lower tdp than a sign that it wont oc any better

I'd say it has more to do with your trail of thought Dasa.

It's almost a given that any new (enthusiast) CPU coming out of the Intel Fabs needs to hit 5GHz in order to be a success in the eyes of overclockers. Overclockers write the magazines and websites, and for that reason it is important that Intel make a chip that impresses everyone. Given the 2600K commonly passed 5GHz I find it hard to imagine Ivy being too far off the milestone.

can anyone find a solid release date for the Z77 motherboards?

keep finding very uninformative crap on google

all i have found is a suggestion that intel is releasing slightly higher clocked sandy chips which to me suggests they are in no hurry to release new cpu\mb

i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see much till 2nd-3rd quarter from intel or nvidia as much as i want there new gear right now

all i have found is a suggestion that intel is releasing slightly higher clocked sandy chips which to me suggests they are in no hurry to release new cpu\mb

i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see much till 2nd-3rd quarter from intel or nvidia as much as i want there new gear right now

damn it thats really disappointing was hoping for a decent new motherboard. 1155 pricers are going down however.

decent 3way sli/crossfire are few and far between

It makes sense, with next to no competition theres no point.

case in point 2700k, its a 2600k +100mhz. pretty sure everything else is identical, except the price.

as nesquick said, why even bother unless you have some competition.

in these global financial crisis times, they will probably begin to release things when they feel it will be most financially successful.

IMO there are too many bloody chipsets out at the moment. there is x58, h67, p67, z68, x79 and now z77? This has to be the fastest intel has ever upgraded its platforms. I think it will be interesting to see how well the z68 boards work with the ivy bridge cpu's. I believe all that is required will be a bios upgrade. I would consider a 3770K if its significantly better than 2500K.

Edited by p0is(+)n