Sign in to follow this  
imp

New Win7 64 install on SSD wont update

Bought a OCZ 120 Agility drive for a clean install on my aging system (after experiencing some issues with that I think was drivers on my previous install).

Win7 installs and runs fine. However, when I attempt to update it goes through the motions with 100 odd updates and then brings up the error message that almost all failed.

I have tried multiple times, and have even reinstalled Win7 again (clean install) but the problem persists.

I get error codes:

8007371C

9C47

When I click on Windows help for these codes I get a different code answer saying I can not install as I am on battery power ....... WTF! this is a desktop system.

Any suggestions?

Bought a OCZ 120 Agility drive for a clean install on my aging system (after experiencing some issues with that I think was drivers on my previous install).

Win7 installs and runs fine. However, when I attempt to update it goes through the motions with 100 odd updates and then brings up the error message that almost all failed.

I have tried multiple times, and have even reinstalled Win7 again (clean install) but the problem persists.

I get error codes:

8007371C

9C47

When I click on Windows help for these codes I get a different code answer saying I can not install as I am on battery power ....... WTF! this is a desktop system.

Any suggestions?

Not using any sort of activation crack are you? If so these will bugger up windows update. If so then get yourself a legit copy of windows.

It's the only thing I can think of on repeated fresh installs.

Not using any sort of activation crack are you? If so these will bugger up windows update. If so then get yourself a legit copy of windows.

It's the only thing I can think of on repeated fresh installs.

I actually had more issues with Windows updates on my legit version of Win7x64 than I ever did on a "dodgy" version of Win7x32.

Try selecting just a few updates at a time. Restart and then a few more till they're all done. That's what I did when I kept on getting errors when installing Win7x64 the first time. Never had a problem since then with regards to Windows Updates.

At a guess there might be some conflict with one update installing and not completing before another update needs to be completed. Normally windows is pretty good at advising you of things like this but occasionally it happens.

100% Legit copy of Win7x64. Clean install. No other programs installed. No alterations or registry changes.

Tried repeated installing a few at a time and it seems to work mostly. Still got 1 security update and then SP1 that refuses to update.

Oh and make sure you have the latest firmware for your SSD as it cannot hurt.

Oh and make sure you have the latest firmware for your SSD as it cannot hurt.

Good point and one other suggestion. Check your date and time settings, especially year. Having the wrong date and time set can totally break Windows Update. I am serious about this, no joke.

I would like to reafirm the small batchs sugestion. I have had 1 update in a btach fail and it seems it was becasue one of the others required a reboot 1st. the system just downloaded update with the rest and only had an issue as it applied them.

Would installing an SSD make a difference if installing on a clean install, as opposed to an already up and running system? (Stupid question, but sometimes stupid things can occur when mucking around with computers)

I found that installing updates individually and just persisting works for most of them.

However, I still can not install SP1. I have tried all suggestions I have found online (even down to removing RAM). I have clean booted, flushed and reinitialised Windows update, tried installing from Win Update and from a DVD iso. Clock is set correctly. I have disabled my antivirus and then even tried uninstalling the whole package. I have checked the win install using the sfc utility. I have installed the update readiness tool multiple times. I have tried in safe mode, diagnostic mode, any various boot configs.

Each time I try to install I get an 'invalid parameter 80070057' message. Sometimes I get a message saying install was successful..... but this is just to instil a false sence as when I reboot it comes up with a message immediately saying install failed.

Currently SP1 is showing it needs a 13.6Mb dl in Win update, so I am guessing this is just one small part of SP1 which is refusing to update.

Getting increasingly frustrated with this. .....

Another option is to borrow someone's W7 SP1 disc, and just install fresh with that. Or obtain it through other means.

I just added an SSD to my system and have come across the 80070057 error.

What worked for me was:

Clear up Windows Update temporary folder

a. Close all the open windows.

b. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

c. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".

d. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

e. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

f. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

g. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.

h. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

You lose the list of installed updates up to that point, but at least all the updates install properly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried clearing Win update previously, but gave it another go. No change unfortunately.

I have the full SP1 downloaded and on a disk. This gets the same error.

In frustration I turned to Microsoft Support.

After a week of being to try things I had already listed as having failed (I dont think they actually read my emails), I was finally told to perform an in place upgrade. This got to the point of starting before I got the error message saying that it could not continue as some directories were not on the boot drive - I am assuming my data directories which I have on my data drive. I am now waiting for their next suggestion.

I dont think Win 7 likes SSD set ups.

Very strange, it must be a rare incompatability with your hardware. I've installed and used W7 on SSDs for years now, and have never had a problem that hasn't also affected a traditional HDD.

Just had MS link up and try to install SP1. Managed to stump the guy.

According to him, issue appears to be that SP1 does not like my user profile being on the data drive. My User profile wont fit on the SSD as I have too many documents etc.

His solution...... another clean install of Win7.

My User profile wont fit on the SSD as I have too many documents etc.

Copy documents to another drive temporarily, try the update, then move them back and see what happens?

How much space is left on your drive??