Sign in to follow this  
yodaiz

Yet another new build...

Hi guys, been looking through this forum a lot over the past few weeks as research on new build is done.

First a bit of background, first time builder, looking for a durable futureproof system,(5yrs or so anyway), main uses will be photo editing, some web site work, some video work (this is looking as though it may grow to be a fair bit in relation to home use) some CAD and of course, gaming.

Watched this topic http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=46688, as it seemed to have a lot of the elements I was looking at but he went wireless and GPU-less.

Enough of the waffle and down to brass tacks.

Fractal Design ARC Mid Tower Case Black ( USB3.0)

3 x 140mm fans plus cable management (biggy, much easier if I can hide all the cables, also comes with fan controller)

Also looked at Corsair Carbide 400R Black Mid-Tower Case, felt Fractal was slightly better.

CoolerMaster GX750W PSU 80+ Bronze Certified

Long cables, braiding

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-performance CPU Cooler

This should fit nicely next to top fan (according to one video, had room for 60mm radiator or is this wishful thinking?)

Intel Core i5 2500K Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Can get more later

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 4xDDR3

Gigabyte GTX560 Super OC 900Mhz DDR5 1GB HDMI PCIE

The GOC is $20 less, an option perhaps?

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD

Possibly more in the future

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M

Read a couple of reviews that had this faster & quieter than the WD Caviar Black SATA III HDDs.

Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA

Don't own any Blu-Ray DVD's and can instal a drive in future if we do start using them.

This is over budget, not game to tell SWMBO how much over. :/

Any glaring problems, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

well id suggest upgrading a bit sooner than 5 years but since you want to focus on reliability there is a few things that maybe you should look at changing

to improve reliability

Intel 320 Series 80GB SSD $152 intel have a rep for the best reliability in ssd but it is a fair bit slower than what you were looking at

Seasonic X-560 80Plus Gold 560W $175 costs a bit more now but should save you cash over the next 5 years

this gpu is more likely to handle newer games better than gtx560

HIS Radeon HD6950 2GB IceQ $279

some good places to save cash

BitFenix Outlaw Mid Tower Case $45

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler $39

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard $135 although i would be tempted to go with ASUS P8Z68-V Gen3 $229 not that there is anything wrong with that gb mb

maybe make do without the hdd till prices settle realy up to you depending on what other hdd you have

5 years is a bit optimistic and truth be told may be tinkering a lot during that time (might get the building bug)

The cooler looks like a good idea, are they OK as is or should a 2nd fan be bought for push pull?

VTX3D ATI HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E a viable alternate ? (trying to work single source for parts)

The SSD was chosen for speed, had read there was some trouble with the Corsairs but it was fixed now(?).

Would the 560watt be enough ? Went with 750 to give some head room.

Sorry for the questions and thanks for your patience.

hey mate,

check out the build log in my sig. i have same case/mobo/cpu your looking at. and simillar ram, ssd and optical.

i dont think you will be disappointed, i haven't been.

dasas suggestions are good.

you could invest in 2 quiet fans for the cpu cooler, but unless your doing some serious overclocking 1 will be sufficient.

the PSU dasa recommended is good, and will be fine if you don't plan on crossfire, but if you do, or you want to future proof, maybe look at a decent 750w. most good psu will give 5 yrs warranty these days, so look at that too.

any 2gb 6950 will be fine, they are all pretty much the same, except for gimmicks like factory OC.

The cooler looks like a good idea, are they OK as is or should a 2nd fan be bought for push pull?

VTX3D ATI HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E a viable alternate ? (trying to work single source for parts)

The SSD was chosen for speed, had read there was some trouble with the Corsairs but it was fixed now(?).

Would the 560watt be enough ? Went with 750 to give some head room.

Sorry for the questions and thanks for your patience.

the hsf is good as is 2500k dont get that hot

that gpu its probably as bit louder than the his but otherwise ok

corsair uses a sandforce controler nice performance but the controler can die sometimes where as the intel drives mostly suffer from the same problem as all ssd and thats dud nand flash but that is far less likely to happen than a dud hdd where as the sandforce drives with two things that can kill them are about on par with hdd for reiability

firmware updates have improved the drives stability and fixed a bsd problem which i think was a compatibility bug with intel mb drivers (there is some fun conspiracy theories about this)

that pc will probably only use ~250w max at stock clocks so 560w leaves you plenty of room in its current configuration

Wow p0is(+)n, that's a hell of a thing.

I am looking to overclock but not a lot, (to begin with anyway) only just learnt a bit about it and have been fiddling in micro steps with current clunker, improved it a lot, SWMBO tried to use performance improvements as veto on new build :/

Now it is not what you suggested but would a SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+Modular PSU suffice in lieu ?

Between that PSU and the HSF cooler, build will only cost $10 more if a Sapphire ATI HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E was used.

ETA found PSU is not on approved list for that video card, back to drawing board.

Edited by yodaiz

hey mate, i checked out this website and put in what I thought would be about average hardware, in addition to what you plan on buying.

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

minimum psu recommendation was 576w and recommended was 626w so this is to allow for a bit of future proofing, you could get a cheaper one now, but if you start to add components later, you may also need to upgrade the psu then.

this included a second video card if you ever consider crossfire, and a medium overclock to 4.5ghz if your so inclined in the future.this also included 2 hdd, optical drive, sdd etc. just a regular system.

i decided then to calculate what your planning on grabbing now and minimum recommended was ~450 with 1 video card and no overclocking. personally i would never buy less than 600w these days, unless it was for a machine with no discrete graphics.

hope that helps.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Thanks for link p0is(+)n and the help (you too Dasa ).

Still working on it but you have given decent food for thought.

Decided on Thermaltake Toughpower 675, could not source a 575W model. Changed case to one with a couple of 200m fans.

Been poking around in build, tutorial and part threads, excellent resources on this site :)

Trying to work out if its better to SRT cache or place OS on a SSD.

Leaning towards SRT Caching seems less risky if SSD fails and does not need as many GB.