Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Marvell > Sandforce?

I think it might have just happened, a Marvell controller that's boss with incompressible data (most of what a SSD would see in daily operation) with good iops to boot.

Oh and it's using the better 34nm Toshiba Toggle NAND

I've spied the attractively priced Corsair Performance Pro Series of SSDs

SSD Review gave it the Editors Choice Award

It's also for sale on PCCG

515/440 seq r/w

65k iops 4k aligned.

Priced like a boss

This looks the goods, SSD Review praised it's incompressible data speeds, that with 34nm NAND makes it look super sexy.

I'm seriously considering one of these soon!

Well that's the thing, plus the firmware issues were offputting, I was looking at the force gt before this came along,

In my eyes, reliability and good uncompressed data speed is more desirable than a few more mbs of say the vertex 3

I'm trying to not spend any money on the computer, I'm spending thousands on the cars and I have to restrict spending to things that aren't several hundred dollar SSDs =[

So would it be worth spending the $80 more on this ($275 for the 128GB version) over the Corsair 120GB Force Series 3 ($195)? Especially if these come down a bit more before I buy...? I don't expect parity, but a smaller gap would be mighty tempting...But already tempted if assured this is the better buy...

I think it's a better option than sand force at the moment, also sand force drives took a few firmwares to get where they are now.

More reliability, no noticeable performance difference, but measurably faster with uncompressed data which is pretty much most of your day to day file access.

I posted this thread when they had just been released, chances are there would be some user reviews or thoughts floating around the web now

I think it's a better option than sand force at the moment, also sand force drives took a few firmwares to get where they are now.

More reliability, no noticeable performance difference, but measurably faster with uncompressed data which is pretty much most of your day to day file access.

I posted this thread when they had just been released, chances are there would be some user reviews or thoughts floating around the web now

Thanks for that- I'll get looking!

Pretty sure the M4 I got uses marvell, only had it for a couple of weeks so hard to compare with anything else but it seems pretty quick to me (only running on sata II though).

Pretty sure the M4 I got uses marvell, only had it for a couple of weeks so hard to compare with anything else but it seems pretty quick to me (only running on sata II though).

Yeah heard they were solid (pun intended)

Marvell are getting better and better, looks like OCZ are getting into illindix pretty heavily too

OK, so I got the Performance Pro after reading only positive things. And I have found myself to only have positive things to say, too :)

I'm not very technical, so I ain't of much use there in a reviewing sense, but it ticks all the boxes for me so far...speed being the most notable step up from HDD (which one would expect)...

Here's hoping it has longevity on its side, too

I may get back to this thread after I've had it for a while, but first impressions are good good good

Thanks, I'll be very interested to hear what you find about it's performance and reliability in different areas, cheers

Yeah heard they were solid (pun intended)

Marvell are getting better and better, looks like OCZ are getting into illindix pretty heavily too

don't OCZ own indilinx? I know that they have some sort of interest in it.....

they've ironed all the bugs out of the Sandforce controllers, they've been fine for quite some time now.....only the stigma's left....

I wouldn't buy something that's slower, and pay more more for it - there's no reason to, so what if Sanforce had some problems a while back, they're all hunky dory now

fuck the Corsair Force 3 are getting cheap - I paid well over $220 for mine not too long ago

While on the subject of SSDs just got myself a 64Gb one of these

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-synapse-c...ii-2-5-ssd.html

to see if it will speed up my PC a bit, especially programme load times. Why a cache drive rather a standard SSD?

Well doing it this way means I don't have to reinstall windows or clone it to a new drive, just fit the cache drive, install and set up the software and away I go.

Will be interesting to see how much effect it has as the dataplex software learns the frequent programmes.