Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Xen

Learning multiple languages

don't see how, dave (of course, you did say projects you're interested in...). C# social devs will primarily be using codeplex, and tiobe looks at the professional space, which wouldn't be users of github. At least I'd probably not allow a policy stating to store my trade secret code on github... :p

and tiobe looks at the professional space, which wouldn't be users of github. At least I'd probably not allow a policy stating to store my trade secret code on github... :p

Well github does offer private plans, and you get companies like Twitter, Facebook, and Joyent hosting things on github, which for me is a lot more meaningful than the company down the road that employs developers who still code like it's 1990 (or who still use SVN - bleurgh :P)

hey I can't argue with what you find meaningful, that's your business :p

however, it's hardly representative of the most used languages when its nature excludes the vast majority of users of particular languages :)

(not to mention you can code like it's 1990 and post to github, like a milllion backyard hackers :p including me :p)

Nearly everything I see in my day to day work at a large financial revolves around primarily python/perl and java. I think you'll find python hasn't got a large market share in these polls as its generally employed as scripts rather than for full blown programs. Look at the linux space for an idea of what I mean, things like package managers, daemons etc. This probably translates to fewer occurances in the polls as these scripts often go unpublished outside of their respective projects.

Personally, I cut code in Bash, Ruby, Python, Perl, Java and PHP almost everyday in my job. I also have used C/C++ extensively but it was working as an embedded developer so not exactly an atypical usecase.

My advice for anyone starting out is to learn Ruby, Java and Python in that order. If you wish to continue from there you should be able to pick up most languages. C/C++ is a nice side excursion that will solidify your skillsets across all languages but as mentioned earlier in the thread, they are just painful to use these days in comparison.

Edited by SilverShaft