Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
alexdtree

Christmas without Jesus

Article in the news caught my eyes. A school has banned and reference of christmas this holiday season and even omitted references to christmas and jesus in christmas carols. (which i guess are just carols now).

I Dont nescercarliy believe Christmas is a religious holiday any more i mean sure its about jesus rising again (i think).

im still not sure if im agnostic or an atheist, but i was raised a catholic. in my house no ones care much about the religious side of christmas its all about Santa clause coming down the chimney giving presents eating tones of food and being with the family.

for us all the religion has been pretty much drained from.

i kinda feel like rather than respecting the views of other faiths like the principal says it seems more like supressing one groups views.

they could have atleast just taken away references to jesus and kept santa clause!

heres the article.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/838934...aling-christmas

Discuss!

Ms Swan(school principal) told the the Telegraph that the banning of Christmas references may have been an attempt by the teacher to address the fact that she has Hindu and Jewish children in her class. .

That'll save 'em...

Ms Swan(school principal) told the the Telegraph that the banning of Christmas references may have been an attempt by the teacher to address the fact that she has Hindu and Jewish children in her class. .

That'll save 'em...

People are still surprised occasionally when I point out that Jesus was Jewish. I'm occasionally surprised by how oblivious some people are.

'

That'll save 'em...

People are still surprised occasionally when I point out that Jesus was Jewish. I'm occasionally surprised by how oblivious some people are.

'

My old boss used to dance around singing "Jesus was a jew" to a tune similar to the Mr hankey song from South park.

My old boss used to dance around singing "Jesus was a jew" to a tune similar to the Mr hankey song from South park.

Infotainment!

'

That'll save 'em...

I must say i am fed up with all this crap about protecting rights of certain religious groups. Whether is be illegal immigrants or otherwise and why is it suddenly happening now in our society. When i grew up their where Jews ,Hindu's and Buddhists in our society and all got along well with this Country's Christian value's. Quite simply they are exploiting the rights of children on how they view the values of Christmas and other Christian religious values in our society. People in this Country are starting to get fed up with so called do gooders telling us we have now have to abide to certain Religious groups views and their ways.

Australia accepted these immigrants in our country and they even swore an Oath to this country's Values and Freedom of Rights to choose. Not many people realise that our Grandfathers and Uncle's went to War and some still are at war to preserve the value's of Freedom of Choice. It makes me really angry when i read posts that others are telling us what to do and say in Our country.

my opinion here may not be popular but i believe at the end of the day christmas is a religious holiday and shouldn't be forced down peoples throats just becuase the majority accept it.

christmas in the work place is bad enough, it really belongs only in the home, where people can quietly celebrate with their family, if that is their belief.

Im sure if parents also wanted Ramadan or Hanukkah or included in the schools program, there would be outrage that their christian children had to listen to these heathen lies etc.

I'm sure if parents also wanted Ramadan or Hanukkah or included in the schools program, there would be outrage that their christian children had to listen to these heathen lies etc.

No shit, its a Christian country.

If people don't like the fact that we celebrate Christmas, maybe they should stay in their own countries.

Sorry I didn't know that we were exclusively Christian, maybe I missed the sign or something on my way on.

I Dont nescercarliy believe Christmas is a religious holiday any more i mean sure its about jesus rising again...i was raised a catholic.

Your folks didn't do a great job of it - Christmas is supposed to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

If people don't like the fact that we celebrate Christmas, maybe they should stay in their own countries.

It's not a Christian country, it's a secular country, and you've got plenty of home-grown heathens like me who you can yell at before you get to the immigrants. If you don't like the fact we live in a secular country, maybe you should bugger off?

my opinion here may not be popular but i believe at the end of the day christmas is a religious holiday and shouldn't be forced down peoples throats just becuase the majority accept it.

christmas in the work place is bad enough, it really belongs only in the home, where people can quietly celebrate with their family, if that is their belief.

Im sure if parents also wanted Ramadan or Hanukkah or included in the schools program, there would be outrage that their christian children had to listen to these heathen lies etc.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'forced down people's throats'. I don't see anything in the article to suggest that happened, though I do find it strange that they used Christmas carols with Jesus removed rather than not use them at all. Seems strange.

I think the fact that we are largely a Christian country hearing about Christ at this time of year is going to happen. You can't avoid it, so denying it's roots seems silly to me.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'forced down people's throats'.

Things like hundreds of thousands of council/gov money spent on public decorations and lights and shit, shopping centres and places of business (professional environments) being converted into christmas wonderlands with santa clause and all, every television commercial being christmas themed or advertising christmas bargains. No really one specific thing, its just the unavoidable scope of the event.

The most annoying thing though, is that it is just assumed by almost everyone that 1) you fucking love christmas as much as they do and 2) you want to celebrate it at all.

This would be a completely different story if the school was a catholic school, but I don't believe that was the case.

Edited by p0is(+)n

I went to a Catholic primary school and Catholic high school. If anything, attending religious schools made me LESS inclined to believe in God/Jesus. Seeing grown men talking about how we should place our trust in God just seemed kind of pathetic for some reason.

I agree that religion has no place in public schools. If parents want their child to receive a religious education, then there are a multitude of christian schools to choose from.

Also, am I the only one who thinks this quote is retarded?

"They should not force this on young kids. Christmas is meant to be all about Santa and presents," he told the Daily Telegraph.

Edited by kamerong

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ.

It’s specifically a Catholic/Christian religious event.

If you put up a tree and give out presents you are essentially taking part in that celebration.

If you don’t believe that you are, you’re a tool.

I’m a Catholic ,you won’t catch me taking part in the physical traditions of another religion because I’m not part of that religion.

So if you don’t believe in Christmas, don’t undertake Christmas-ey shit.

Simple

I went to a Catholic primary school and Catholic high school. If anything, attending religious schools made me LESS inclined to believe in God/Jesus. Seeing grown men talking about how we should place our trust in God just seemed kind of pathetic for some reason.

I agree that religion has no place in public schools. If parents want their child to receive a religious education, then there are a multitude of christian schools to choose from.

Also, am I the only one who thinks this quote is retarded?

"They should not force this on young kids. Christmas is meant to be all about Santa and presents," he told the Daily Telegraph.

Didn't Jesus die to bring chrsitmas to the children of iraq?

is christmas about christ anymore? or shoudl I say, is Public Christmas about Christ? private christmas for christians may still be.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'forced down people's throats'.

Things like hundreds of thousands of council/gov money spent on public decorations and lights and shit, shopping centres and places of business (professional environments) being converted into christmas wonderlands with santa clause and all, every television commercial being christmas themed or advertising christmas bargains. No really one specific thing, its just the unavoidable scope of the event.

If you don't want your council/gov to spend money on it, petition them. As for businesses, they do it for commercial reasons, to capture more sales.

The most annoying thing though, is that it is just assumed by almost everyone that 1) you fucking love christmas as much as they do and 2) you want to celebrate it at all.

This would be a completely different story if the school was a catholic school, but I don't believe that was the case.

You're right it would be different - it would be stupid to remove references to Christmas & Jesus in a Catholic school

If you don't like people celebrating Christmas then that's going to be tough given that you're living in a country that is predominantly Christian. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't have the right to celebrate their beliefs?

What would your solution look like given the current makeup of the Australian population?

If you put up a tree and give out presents you are essentially taking part in that celebration.

I’m a Catholic ,you won’t catch me taking part in the physical traditions of another religion because I’m not part of that religion.

Simple

i often get puzzled by the images and marketing of christmas. and how they relate to the baby Jesus.

Heh,

I tend to believe the entire cult of Christmas is dying - it became an excuse for stores to boost profit and hopefully survive through to Easter years ago.

I just treat it as as the one week I get off - although that may not work this year - bit busy -more a food ritual than anything, which is fine, but the religious attachment faded long ago.

Cheers

Simple

i often get puzzled by the images and marketing of christmas. and how they relate to the baby Jesus.

Essentially the present giving is a representation of the gifts that the three wise men brought to the baby Jesus.

This parallels what St Nicholas did in more recent times, by essentially creeping around and dropping money off for poor families in the night, essentially for his own amusment/gratification.....like a ninja..a holy-Christmas ninja. That brought gifts

His legacy and also his image (stylised a bit) is what is used for Santa Claus now.

Posted Image

Fine, we hijacked the tree in 400AD

everything else......ours!

The point is , celebrate the shit outta Zeus day or Saturnalia but personally I think its awkward pretending once a year to be a part of a religion that you know nothing about.

You wont catch me dieting during Ramadan just cause my Muslim mates are doing it.

I Dont nescercarliy believe Christmas is a religious holiday any more i mean sure its about jesus rising again...i was raised a catholic.

Your folks didn't do a great job of it - Christmas is supposed to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

Emphasis on the Supposed to.

Christmas for me has nothing to do with jesus. i mean sure thats how the holiday started.

But now to me personally its more a family tradition we always have ham and turkey, we always give presents we normally spend it with a group of people.

we put on crappy christmas songs from our favourite artists and enjoy each other company.

Usually without mentioning or thinking about jesus or religion.

so in my personal view i dont see why Commercial christmas and religious christmas can be seperate.

I don't think the kids in that school care much about Christmas in the way that adults do.

I think they care more about getting presents :p.

Simple

Essentially the present giving is a representation of the gifts that the three wise men brought to the baby Jesus.

This parallels what St Nicholas did in more recent times, by essentially creeping around and dropping money off for poor families in the night, essentially for his own amusment/gratification.....like a ninja..a holy-Christmas ninja. That brought gifts

His legacy and also his image (stylised a bit) is what is used for Santa Claus now.

Posted Image

Fine, we hijacked the tree in 400AD

everything else......ours!

The point is , celebrate the shit outta Zeus day or Saturnalia but personally I think its awkward pretending once a year to be a part of a religion that you know nothing about.

You wont catch me dieting during Ramadan just cause my Muslim mates are doing it.

Actually, a quick search around the net seems to indicate that the catholic church banned gift giving at one stage, supposedly due to it having pagan roots, and reinstated it with a new meaning re: st nick.

Christmas is mostly celebrated as a Festive Season in our country ,not a Religious theme. This is where most schools seem to cross the line on by invoking Religion in our schools then banning it over other religion factors. If teachers said that Santa is just a myth and retailers use this as profiteering excuse. Can you imagine every Retail shop or market coming to their defense on Religious grounds saying that when Jesus was born they "BOUGHT" three gifts to give to Jesus. Bottom line is our views are our views and i do not think anyone has the right to change our views no matter the circumstances regardless of who it involves.

I'm not a Christian (actually a Agnostic supposedly a Buddhist) but I am not going call Christmas "Happy Holidays" or some PC version of it.