Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
eckythump

New system build / case advice

So I decided it was time to retire my old Athlon64 4600+ server and get something new.

I'm mostly interested in advice/feedback regarding the case, but would appreciate any other advice if it appears I'm overlookingsomething.

Specs:

Case: Antec VSK-2450P

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU: i7-2600

RAM: 16GB GSkill RipjawsX DDR3-1600 (4x4gb)

Disk: OCZ Vertex 3 60GB

Extra shit: Intel Pro/1000 NIC, 2x120mm fans

I like the VSK-2450P because of the front-loading drive cage, as this machine is going to have 4 existing SATA HDDs added to it as soon as I get it, and maybe more in the future.

Does anyone have this case, and can you indicate how easy/difficult it is to access the drive cage? I seem to remember reading someone whining about it being fiddly. I especially want to know if having the 2 120mm fans installed in front of it will get in the way, or if it has some magic to make it easy.

Answering some foreseeable questions:

I opted for the i7-2600 over the i5-2500k because I am not interested in overclocking and just wanted to get the fastest CPU for my budget.

Will use built in video, this machine isn't going to be used for games and will run headless.

No optical drive as one isn't required for my usage.

The motherboard I picked is the cheapest I saw that supports my CPU and has 8x SATA ports.

Have I missed anything?

EDIT NOTE: Updated motherboard. I previously had the GA-Z68X-UD3-B3, which doesn't have onboard video. That would certainly count as missing something. Woops.

So... anything else?

Edited by eckythump

That mainboard doesn't have any graphics ports (no VGA/DVI/HDMI/Display Port).

Aww, shit. Thanks for catching that. Original post updated. Anything else I might've missed?

I'm open to other MB recommendations. My requirements are: Supports i7-2600, at least 7 SATA ports, onboard video ports. I also want to play with intel's Quick Sync video encoding thing, so that must be supported. (do any chipsets not support it?) Don't care about RAID or overclocking options. Cheaper the better.

for the sake of $20 why not get the 2600k so you can oc to ~4.3ghz with near stock vcore in the future all you have to do is change cpu multi to 43 then make sure its stable although aftermarket cooling like cm hyper 212 $39 would be advisable for anything over 4ghz

2600k also has a bit better igp

not sure what 450w psu is in that antec case although its probably not to nasty it might be worth you spending a bit more on a higher quality psu with better efficiency

Edited by Dasa

My understanding is that the 2600k doesn't come with a cooler, so it'd be $20 + another $40 or so, so I opted for just the 2600. I'm not going to be benching and comparing to stats online, so I'm pretty sure I'll be more than happy with the 2600.

I'm not too worried about the PSU, but again, am open to suggestions. The case/psu combo of the VSK-2450P is about $110 and looks to suit my needs pretty well. I'll spend a little more, but would rather not.

2600k does come with a stock intel cooler. the case looks fine for your listed specs, its cheap too which is a plus, its probably not usb3 if thats important.

your rig looks more like a gaming PC than a server to me.... its just missing a graphics card. what exactly is its purpose ? are we talking home "server" for media, or something more interesting? :)

my day job is to sell/repair/maintain/misc servers.

you dont need to benchmark to make use of a overclocked cpu just think of it as future proofing

but if the work you are doing will see no benefit from it you may be just as well of with a pentium g840

my 2600k came with a hsf and to the best of my knowledge they still do but i cant be sure

SexKitten may know what psu is in that case

worst case its a antec basic but there still better than generic and its not like you are going to be putting any load on it that rig will probably only draw ~150w tops

If the 2600k comes with a stock cooler, then I might look into that.

I don't care if the case doesn't do USB3. I imagine the motherboard will have onboard USB3 ports I can use if I really need to (which I doubt I will)

It's going to do a lot of stuff. It's a unix box. Web/mail/file server, as well as being my development platform. It'll run close to idle most of the time, but I'l lreally appreciate the speed when compiling, which will be a common task. It'll also probably have a 6+ year lifespan,, which is why I'm happy to splash out and get above my current needs.

Would still love some more definitive feedback on the case re the drive cage. I've looked at pictures/video, but my eyesight is awful and didn't reveal anything to me, so anyone who has used one, or can see i npictures whether or not the fans mounted to cool the drives in the cage will negate the benefits of a removable cage, that'd be really good to know.

as far as i can tell thats a bog standard case, with room for 6 internal drives, and no removable hdd cage.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjI2NiYz

edit: actually, im now certain its just a VSK-2000 with a VP450 PSU included.

the description on the vsk-2000 actually mentions the drive bays. possible IF you remove the front bezel, there will be 2 lots of 3x3.5" cage with 1x fan that clips into the back. I am not sure how this is any more convenient than sliding it in from the other side? really sounds like a weak gimmick that isn't worth getting excited about. also it only mentions that they are front loaded, and does not mention removable anywhere that i can see.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Hmm. What to do, what to do.

You're right in that I may've overshot the mark in thinking the drive cages are removable. I've been spoilt by my Lian Li case that my desktop uses. It has a drive cage you can slide out the side, add new drives, then slide it back i nand secure with a single thumb screw. Love it. Would love something like that for this new system too, as it's going to be located somewhere not that easy to work on and I wouldn't want to relocate it just to add a new HDD.

So, unless someone can suggest another case that might better suit my needs, I'll probably still get this one and just accept it isn't quite as perfect as I initially thought. I hope the drive cages can also have drives inserted from inside the case, not just through the front.

Almost ready to commit to the build. Any more comments/feedback/clarifications before I do would be appreciated.

most cases are now using side facing 3.5" bays, like this Fractal Design case.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18933

It has 2x3 removable cages which are also easy to access without having to remove the front bezel, but no PSU included.

Check out the other fractal cases/other cases in general on PCCG.

edit: another one from antec, simillar price and includes a psu.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14610

Edited by p0is(+)n

As mentioned, the VSK-2450P is a VSK-2000 with a VP450 PSU.

The VP450 is a Basiq model with a 30A max on the combined 12V rails. It's OK, it'll beat the crap out of virtually any other non-Antec bundled PSU, but it's not top shelf or even middle shelf.

That case is also pretty terrible for sound dampening.

*EDIT* Went looking for a real review of the PSU, but all I found was this hilariously boring and somewhat inept unboxing.

Edited by tantryl