Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Oracle X

Ultra thin laptops, are they worth it?

I'm not sure if I can live with very thin laptops with short battery life. For me, they seem to be very impractical considering I couldn't use them long enough without a recharging. I would rather choose a bulkier one if the battery is worth it.

Choosing between design and usability, which would you prefer?

The UX21E is giving me about 4.5 usable hours, as in WiFi on, Brightness around 40% and listening to music whilst browsing and doing Admin work on servers, is my work computer though, so is plugged in at work, and if I see more than 3 hours work on the horizon, I plug it in at home to avoid it going flat when I step away to stretch or cook.

I got the UX31E, it's sexy as hell but I found that 1) it's damn hard to type on this thing and 2) sometimes the video playback stutters.

Other than that I have no complaints.

Edited by Oracle X

Lower quality. It's not often, like maybe a few times every hour and only for a sec at a time. Got better after a driver update. I think it depends on how much stuff you got running on the background.

I found my keyboard was a little odd to type with, sometimes not picking up keystrokes.

I use a M$ Arc KB at work now, so that is less of an issue.

Video... don't watch a lot on mine, but will test tonight if I can.

Anybody using a USB dock with these?

I've got a Z830 with a Dynadock V. Either it's dodgy drivers or hardware. The thing keeps locking up on me. Keyboard and mouse OK through it. Though the external LCD is directly into the VGA out on the Z830.

Tried updating the drives.

Wife wants a 'thin, light, fast laptop', for doing part-time uni assignments in the car on the way to work or when/where ever she can.

It has to fit in to a handbag, albeit a fairly large shoulder one that can accommodate 15" diagonally, (that's total physical size though, so a 14" screen may be tight).

She has a netbook now but hates it for typing.

She is a long term Windows user.

She has been shown an MBA by a colleague and likes the aesthetics of it, but has said it's probably too much for her to change OS.

Budget is $1200, but lower would be better.

I like the Asus Zenbooks, but they seem to be out of our price range, (maybe we could scrape up the extra though if it really is worth it).

Suggestions?

I managed to find a 5% off voucher which does help a bit. Will discuss it further with the missus, but the Dell looks to be the front-runner now; and it does look very pretty too.

From reading some reviews, the Dells and HP are voted as the worst of the ultrabook range.

I was just reading up on them again as I might be using my ASUS as a portable on call machine and getting a larger, yet still compact machine for daily tasks.

I am actually thinking of getting a 13-14inch Elitebook (heavy and thick I know) due to it having a bit more grunt.

I got the UX31E, it's sexy as hell but I found that 1) it's damn hard to type on this thing and 2) sometimes the video playback stutters.

Other than that I have no complaints.

Can I ask which model you got? How about I push the friendship and ask where and how much?

I'm pretty keen on the ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH52, just trying to find a decent price on one now...

If possible wait till the new IVY Bridge machines come out anyway which will be the end of this month or a little later.

We ended up going with the Z830. Seems pretty good so far, but display is pretty flimsy and I'm always scared I'm going to break it!

Boot times are quick, and it is light... I mean... really light, ~1.1kg.

Paid $1180 for the i5 model here:

http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/tosh...1/PT22LA-001001

Just also wanted to add, those Shopping Express guys seemed like they were a problem at first, (read some bad reviews *after* placing the purchase order). I had a suspicion that they order from OS and ship in when you place an order; it might be the case, but even so, we had a lot of different things and we got all of them bar one within 4 business days, (ultrabook, NAS, GFX card and SSD all made it; RAM didn't though), so they are all legit and fine.

I just picked up a Samsung Series 3 laptop, 12.5" for $700. Amazing, worth every cent.

Yeah, I guess ultra-thin laptops are worth their prices. If you are into technology, you will know how precise engineering is used to produce an ultra thin yet very powerful machine. If I were to get one for my self, I would go for Samsung Series 9. Not so expensive but definitely powerful enough to do almost anything.

We're looking to replace some laptops at work for the ops staff (me included), our budget is about 2K per machine so I have a bit to play with.

I was looking at the XPS13 as I have an original XPS that is still going strong, but a few friends reckon the Air is the shit.

(OS doesn't matter as we run linux anyway, unless we go Mac and then OSX is fine).

Has anyone else purchased anything recently they can comment on?

One of my friends got the Asus UX31E. It's very, very nice. Plus it has USB3.0 (downside of the MacBook Air is no USB3.0, only Thunderbolt which can probably be set up with Linux? Buggered if I know). Very nice 1600x900 resolution. Proper SATA3 SSD (I think the current Air uses an older model? Not sure, the specs are vague). The keyboard and keypad on the Air are slightly nicer though.

DSE have a 25% off special right now.

Although the UX31A's using Ivy Bridge should be coming along in 1-4 months (conflicting rumours, probably in under a month). It'll have a 1920x1080 res.

Has anyone seen any of the newest gen ultrabooks at all?

I'm looking for one for work and not sure if I should grab one now or hang out a few more weeks and try and grab one with a better res (looking at the ZPX13, which is only 1366x768).

I reckon so too.

I've heard the MBP is going super thin as well, and I would be happy with an MDA or MBP or XPS.

I reckon so too.

I've heard the MBP is going super thin as well, and I would be happy with an MDA or MBP or XPS.

I think you mean MBA. I would wait until Apple has released the refresh to the Air as well. A lot of movement in this space. MBA needs better discrete graphics, something i have always had a problem with Apple Mac computers/laptops.

I like the look of the new Sony T series but then again I am a sony whore and always have been.

everything is still probably in development or being produced atm though since iirc didn't intel release the mobile IB chips in march or april?