disolusiond

Weight loss diary 2012

I was about 105kg until I ended up with Gastroesophageal reflux disease. I had trouble swallowing so I had to change my diet completely. I had soup, Golden Vale wheat biscuits (it’s 98% fat free) juices (orange, apple, multi vitamin) and Fish as it was easy to swallow. I shop at aldi's for all my food. Check your BMI (Body Mass Index) from the following site: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/patientsafety...dymassindex.pdf

I now weigh 79kg, a loss of 26kg in 3 months (about 2kg a week).

Tips for a healthy diet

It’s important to ensure that you enjoy a wide range of nutritious foods and eat the right balance of food from the five food groups. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, wholegrain breads & cereals, legumes, and raw nuts & seeds. Choose lean red meat and sandwich meats (e.g. turkey breast or chicken) and include oily fish (e.g. salmon) and poultry. Consume reduced fat dairy products or soy drinks with added calcium. Select high monounsaturated margarines for spreads and unsaturated oils for cooking. Limit foods high in saturated fat, salt and added sugar. Drink plenty of water and limit your alcohol consumption to two or less drinks per day (men) or one per day (women).

How much exercise is recommended?

At least 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise on all or most days of the week (e.g. brisk walking, cycling, swimming, dancing, gardening). If you can, vigorous exercise for 30 minutes or more for 3 or 4 days a week. Include flexibility (e.g. yoga, Pilates) and strength activities (e.g. lifting weights, resistance training). Remember that the 30 min daily need not be done in one continuous session (i.e. you can do

some in the morning and some in the afternoon).

http://www.bakeridi.edu.au/Assets/Files/12...Weight%20v7.pdf

Try this website: http://www.gofor2and5.com.au/

Edited by MageFinal

No. 8 hours of cardio such as running or cycling is going to burn around 8000 calories. That's significantly more than a typical person would consume in one day of eating. A 1000 calorie, 1 hour ride, run or swim is enough to put a normal person, with a 2000-2200 calorie per day requirement in negative calories. I already agreed that the fat burning zone while sounds good in theory, doesn't apply in practice. I even included an example which you were kind enough to quote ;) AFAIK a weights workout raises the metabolism by about 10% for the day. That's about 200-220 cals. With a wieghts workout consuming between 500-700 cals on a good day, it's going to not as effective as a 1000 cal run over the entire day.

Only under the most intense physical conditions can the human body burn up to 10 calories per minute. So over the course of an 8 hour cardio session you're looking at around 4800 calories burned - assuming those 8 hours are all performed at 100% intensity! In reality I can't imagine any human doing that, even the most elite of athlete. The calories burned readouts on the machines in your local gym are out by up to 30% and are not to be taken seriously.

Also, the problem you've got is that you're only looking at weight training vs cardio exercise as calories burned during and directly after the workout.

What I am talking about is the superior ability of weight training to increase your resting metabolic rate. An elevated RMR means your body is going go burn more fat at rest, let alone post-exercise.

So if increased muscle means an increased RMR - how do we stimulate an increase in lean mass in the body? You guessed it!

Well that's the first 10kg gone. It could be a few kilos more or less, my scales aren't that accurate imo. 70 to go lol.

I'm eating very well, more than I was eating junk food all day. Now I'm just eating healthily. I'm not crash dieting as some have suggested, that's a guaranteed way to lose a heap of weight and put it all right back on again, plus some more.

The garage sales are kind of slow this time of year so I haven't gotten a bench press and weights yet. What I am doing is pushing myself pretty hard on my nite time walks.

The hill to the headland near my house gets a flogging almost every night. I walk up and down that bitch for about half an hour then I walk around the neighborhood which is also very hilly for another half hour or so. I don't stop to catch my breat anymore so there is defiantly progress being made. If it's not to hot I'll also get a day walk in along the beach for anywhere between a half an hour to almost 2.

So that's the update. Not a month down yet and 10kg gone. I know from experience that that rate of loss will slow down once I drop anothe 20kg or so, but it's nice to see results early in the piece. See you in another 10, or when I get my weights. Whichever comes first.

Well that's the first 10kg gone. It could be a few kilos more or less, my scales aren't that accurate imo. 70 to go lol.

I'm eating very well, more than I was eating junk food all day. Now I'm just eating healthily. I'm not crash dieting as some have suggested, that's a guaranteed way to lose a heap of weight and put it all right back on again, plus some more.

The garage sales are kind of slow this time of year so I haven't gotten a bench press and weights yet. What I am doing is pushing myself pretty hard on my nite time walks.

The hill to the headland near my house gets a flogging almost every night. I walk up and down that bitch for about half an hour then I walk around the neighborhood which is also very hilly for another half hour or so. I don't stop to catch my breat anymore so there is defiantly progress being made. If it's not to hot I'll also get a day walk in along the beach for anywhere between a half an hour to almost 2.

So that's the update. Not a month down yet and 10kg gone. I know from experience that that rate of loss will slow down once I drop anothe 20kg or so, but it's nice to see results early in the piece. See you in another 10, or when I get my weights. Whichever comes first.

excellent work, you should keep measurements as well, body weight only tells part of the story ;)

around your chest, waist, arms, legs ect

you will be surprised how many cm you lose.

This has been a very interesting read, and good work on the 10 KG loss Disolutiond !!!

I too had to fight the weight problem. I'm 6'3 and currently 105 kgs. I had gotten down to 97 kgs after reaching 142 kgs at one stage. I gave up power lifting and smoking, hit a low part in my life and hit the junk food and piss, hard.

What worked for me was a Low Carb diet and walking. Thats about all I did. I got off the piss and the weight dropped off basically.

I need to get back off the piss and get rid of 10 kgs, but that was always the plan after xmas anyways :)

Burn off more than you put in and you'll lose the weight.

Read everything people suggest, take from it all the bits that you think will work for you.

Juggs was right on the NO junk point he made. Do NOT give yourself "weekly rewards" or "target rewards".

Changing your eating will change your life.

Goodluck!!!!!

Good going disolusiond :) using your method also means that you don't have so much flabby skin to contend with once you reach your goal.

The steady exercise that will increase as you're comfortable doing it will help tone you as you drop the kilos.

By the time you're done - or earlier even than then - junk food will taste junky and gross :)

The fat acceptance thing can fuck off. Fat lazy people wanting an excuse to keep being fat and lazy and a burden on others. I've been there and it was frigging easy to change. You should NEVER accept the way you are, because you can always be more awesome.

Good on you Disolusiond for making your first big milestone. You should DEFINITELY take a bunch of measurements and stats and pictures so you can see how far you've come as you progress. Log EVERYTHING, so in 6 months time when you feel like being lazy, you can look over where you've come from and where you're heading. You can't let yourself get in the way of progress you've already been making.

And now it's time for me to get some sleep, heavy triples on squats tomorrow, yeah.

I would say the main reason for obesity is laziness.

The main reason, not the only reason.

Well, I went to my first Aikido session last night, seated like a mad bugger, and this was the beginners class...

I feel more awake and alert today than I have all week, albeit a little sore.

My weight loss at the moment had plateau'd I have lost 30kg since mid last year, planning on losing at least another 30.

You'd be wrong. None wants to be morbidly obese. There is almost always some underlying phycological factor at play.

You'd be wrong. None wants to be morbidly obese. There is almost always some underlying phycological factor at play.

While this is true to an extent, theres definitely an abundance of people being unwilling to spend the time and effort exercising their body, as well as their willpower to eat right.

While this is true to an extent, theres definitely an abundance of people being unwilling to spend the time and effort exercising their body, as well as their willpower to eat right.

The number of people who just 'can't be fucked' and who also have no phycological issues affecting their decisions ( just lazy ) I agree do exist but are in the vast minority, not the othe way around as was suggested in the post I was responding to.

I got fat because I got lazy and ate shit.

I am getting back into my healthy eating, not a diet, but a lifestyle change.

I really feel much better having done something last night to get my heart rate up and got moving.

So the majority of fat people got fat by exercising at least once a week?

Come on....

So the majority of fat people got fat by exercising at least once a week?

Come on....

No, of course not. But you're saying that the majority of those people ( obese, not just overweight ) are just lazy and can't be fucked. I'm saying that that's not the case at all, that most obese people have some issues that need to be dealt with that are the reason they eat irresponsibly and don't exercise.

Edited by disolusiond

The narrowly defined ideal that we are all aiming for is also causing serious harm to people who don't fit in. The reality is that a lot of these fat people are healthy and are making themselves sicker trying to conform to some slender stereotype. It is estimated that 95% of diets fail, and people actually end up putting on more weight after the diet is broken.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/32464.html

Because they are doing it wrong and dont talk the right people they dont consult a doctor dont consult a nutrition and are probably to afraid to ask the questions until they get to a point where its just to hard. No one around here is saying you need to be 70kg and look like a UFC fighter whilst for some thats a dream its certainly not attainable/ realistic for some.

By the way good work disolusiond fantastic start keep up the handwork and you will reap the reward.