Sign in to follow this  
xfu

Xbox game recommendations?

I got an XBox finally, and only half a decade late to the party.

I'm gonna play the hell outa Halo(s), and haters be damned :)

I might also give Gears a look in, but otherwise that'll probably it for discs for a considerable amount of time to come.

XBLA on the other hand is an area I really want to catch up on, especially good exclusives I've missed. Some of my favorite PS3 games are from the PSN, so I can only assume there are similar gems on other platforms. In particular, fun co op games (Castle Crashers is a good example, but I have that on PSN) are highly sought after.

And, aside from that... I'm curious to get a picture of the local online scene. I have three months of live and will probably extend (might depend on busyness next year), but does anyone know if there's a healthy player-base for Halo locally? Also, do 360 games generally try to connect you to local servers?

Was very strange for me playing a bit of H:CE Anniversary last night as the first game to check out. H:CE is the only Halo I've extensively played, in fact I could probably navigate the multiplayer maps with the TV off, so it felt like new, but old, but new...

Also going to take some time for me to get used to the 360's controller. I still find the offset sticks totally crazy, and really no benefit at all to comfort. What I did notice though was that the nubs themselves are somehow immediately giving me a great feeling of accuracy. I can't really explain it except that they just work well. And with the sensitivity maxed at 10 I still wish I could go a notch higher.

Fun times.

Edited by xfu

I got an XBox finally, and only half a decade late to the party.

I'm gonna play the hell outa Halo(s), haters be damned :)

I might also give Gears a look in, but otherwise that'll probably it for discs for a considerable amount of time to come.

XBLA on the other hand is an area I really want to catch up on, especially good exclusives I've missed. Some of my favorite PS3 games are from the PSN, so I can only assume there are similar gems on other platforms. In particular, fun co op games (Castle Crashers is a good example, but I have that on PSN) are highly sought after.

And, aside from that... I'm curious to get a picture of the local online scene. I have three months of live and will probably extend (might depend on busyness next year), but does anyone know if there's a healthy player-base for Halo locally? Also, do 360 games generally try to connect you to local servers?

Was very strange for me playing a bit H:CE Anniversary last night as the first game to check out. H:CE is the only Halo I've extensively played, in fact I could probably navigate the multiplayer maps with the TV off, so it felt like new, but old, but new...

Also going to take some time for me to get used to 360's controller. I still find the offset sticks totally crazy, and really no benefit at all to comfort. What I did notice though was that nubs themselves are somehow immediately giving me a great feeling of accuracy. I can't really explain it except that they just work well. And with the sensitivity maxed at 10 I still wish I could go a notch higher.

Fun times.

Man I love the 360 controller so much more than the PS3 controller.

I find I'm far more accurate in FPS with a 360 controller vs the DS3.

As for XBLA games, I wouldn't have a clue sorry, haven't really looked at any on XBLA for years.

Here are the Christmas sales to get you going. Personally I use Xbox.com to search and download XBLA games.

http://majornelson.com/2011/12/20/12-days-of-xbox-deals/

Renegade Ops (co-op)

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (co-op mode)

Plants vs Zombies (co-op)

All for 600msp, they'll be having a new arcade game for half price every day for the next 12 days.

Rock of Ages is this weeks standard special, it's interesting and is on sale for 400msp, their an outfit from Spain I think and they're the same guys who did Zeno Clash.

Games I'd personally recommend are Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy, Trenched/Iron Brigade (co-op), Toy Soldiers: Cold War (co-op), Splosion Man (one of the best couch co-ops I've ever played), Trials HD (sequel is coming out soon).

Other than that here's a list of every co-op game on XBLA.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/11/xbox-live_arcade.html

But the ultimate XBLA exclusive is still in development IMHO, it's an open world zombie survival game with MMO capabilities that uses CryENGINE 3, it's being developed by Undeadlabs.

Engine Demonstration

The game is being offered in two versions, co-op/singleplayer or MMO, apparently their claiming thousands of people will be able to survive together, scavange and build fortifications against the horde.

http://undeadlabs.com/

On the subject of controllers you should try the Razer Onza Tourny, more accurate, feels a little better, but the triggers are a bit awkward.

Also, do 360 games generally try to connect you to local servers?

Region locking varies from game to game, now a days most games will do it, Halo, CoD and SSF4 all do it but Microsoft doesn't force developers to do it. Edited by King_TriTAN

Don't forget Limbo, Braid and Bastion.

Co-op there is Dungeon Defenders, Crimson Alliance (to name a two)

I would also say that Raskulls is a lot of fun as a competitive multiplayer... provided your friends don't throw controllers...

Also as far as region connecting goes, it depends on the games for multiplayer, Halo for example you have to set your search criteria if you want to only find Australian players to play against.

Edited by bastard

But the ultimate XBLA exclusive is still in development IMHO, it's an open world zombie survival game with MMO capabilities that uses CryENGINE 3, it's being developed by Undeadlabs.

Engine Demonstration

The game is being offered in two versions, co-op/singleplayer or MMO, apparently their claiming thousands of people will be able to survive together, scavange and build fortifications against the horde.

http://undeadlabs.com/

Is this the one you mentioned a while back in the dead island thread when it was still being worked on under a different name?

Daytona USA

Exactly the same as the Arcade version, draw distance has been improved immensely, and a whole bunch of other features.

I bought it a while ago, and the above video doesn't give it justice.

Perhaps one of my favourite things on the Xbox :) (or PS3 for that matter) is the downloadables.

My list so far (which I will come back to update, and not all exclusive)

Castle Crashers - highly recommended, especially if you've got someone to coop with

Stacking - Cool game, and I like to support double fine since Psychonauts is perhaps the best game ever!

Costume Quest - Similar to above ;)

Limbo - Brilliant art direction and puzzles, and all round good game

Braid - Similar to above actually

Plants Vs Zombies - Good bit of fun

Deathspank and sequels - I really enjoy this one, it's an RPG and very humorous if you want to turn your brain off for a while...

Super Meat Boy - One of the most frustrating and enjoyable games I've ever played.

From Dust - Pretty interesting, but probably leave this for later

Shadow Complex - I enjoyed this side-scrolling/shooter, pretty cool!

Alien Hominid - Same developers as Castle Crashers, quite enjoyable :)

Others which are popular but I personally didn't enjoy as much:

Splosion Man - A very popular title, although I didn't get into this one as much

Torchlight - Nice RPG

Bastion - This is one that a lot of people have raved about, personally I haven't gotten into it, it's just sat there

Yes, I have played all of these, and have a few others which I didn't list... Anyhow, they should all have trials, I would recommend any of these here, but of course your personal taste may differ!

Side note, on the PS3, I recently downloaded 'Flower'. That's a cool concept too :)

The only XBLA game I play is Trials HD.

But now that I've seen I can get Daytona, that will be the only XBLA game I will play.

'

Actually I just remembered...

I saw in the bargain bin at Harvey Norman an XBLA bundle.

Limbo, Trials HD, Splosion Man. $12. Good deal if you can get it!

Is this the one you mentioned a while back in the dead island thread when it was still being worked on under a different name?

Yes but undeadlabs is the name of the developer, it's still titled under Class3 or Class4 for the MMO, I will say that from everything I've read from the Q&A sessions the survival aspect of this game is particularly hardcore, you can use vehicles to carry gear but then you have to find fuel and they attract a lot of attention or you could backpack it and carry very lightly, if you make noises while you scavanging for food you'll attract zombies, very deep scenarios. It's also being written by the same guy who did Alpha Protocol and New Vegas.

Edited by King_TriTAN

When you decide to play discs again, consider the following:

Definitely

Gears of War series

Fable Series

Game i really enjoyed:

Viking Battle for Asgard

Afro Samurai

Also, if you wanna have parties in da house, well karaoke really, get:

Lips series

Being a firm believer in the classics never going out of fashion I would recommend looking for Mass Effect 2 - why you ask? Because it has some of the most engaging characters, and the most intense plot and soundtrack ever conceived in a video game!!

Go get it - there may even be a newer version! I´ve lost touch through work with the gaming world :(

I tried the Mass effect 2 demo on PS3 but couldn't get into it.

As for discs, I think I will check out the Fable series eventually.

Gears as well, although for the TSP genre I prefer Uncharted to Gears (from the small amount of Gears 2/3 I've played). They're still well made games and worth the time, and on the list. The fact that Gears' complete campaign can be done in co op is a big win.

Playing through the older Halo games has been interesting too. What really strikes me while playing Halo 3 is how well the Resistance franchise holds up against it imo, despite not even being in the same popularity ballpark. When you compare sales I think it really shows what an established name and fanbase can do. For single player campaigns I'd say Resistance 2 > Halo 3 > Resistance 1. In online play (and I really loved Resistance multiplayer), I think Halo wins easily though. I haven't yet played Reach or R3 - Blame Skyrim and Dark Souls I guess.

Thanks again for more recommendations.

I know given most of the games being listed above it may well be off topic - but I have never had more fun than playing on any NHL or NBA game - they´re incredibly addictive!

It´s worth a try at least!!!

Edited by theflamer

I know given most of the games being listed above it may well be off topic - but I have never had more fun than playing on any NHL or NBA game - they´re incredibly addictive!

As myself and a large group of my friends all know each other through basketball (growing up playing together etc) and we all follow NBA, we are very serious about our NBA 2K12 :P Make sure you ignore EA's offerings, 2K is where it's at.

However, NHL, you can pick up pretty much anything in that series, turn off fouls etc and just go for gold body/stick checking each other. Great fun!

Some of the co-op (split screen ftw) arcade games I frequent are:

Peggle: Seriously, it's good fun and anyone can get into it.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed: Good tough old-school platforming action, 2 player styles.

Perfect Dark: Just to re-live the glory days of the N64. Feels pretty dated though.

Monday Night Combat: Not exclusive, but I enjoyed it a fair bit. Probably lacking local players at this stage.

n+: more platforming action, co-op included. can get pretty punishing though.

I'd also completely recommend the Gears series, not everyone's cup of tea but a good B-Grade action romp.

Speaking of NBA, NBA Jam is also a good (if light-hearted) time. I think it may be downloadable now too?

+1 for trials HD, shadow complex and splosion man.

As for Live, I've recently let mine lapse back to silver. Would still prefer to have the free-to-play online capabilities of PS3 (minus the whole credit-card details stealing shenanigans.)

As myself and a large group of my friends all know each other through basketball (growing up playing together etc) and we all follow NBA, we are very serious about our NBA 2K12 :P Make sure you ignore EA's offerings, 2K is where it's at.

However, NHL, you can pick up pretty much anything in that series, turn off fouls etc and just go for gold body/stick checking each other. Great fun!

I agree about that mate! I think out of the two I actually prefer the NHL games, but that is because I am more of a hockey fan than a B´Ball guy!

Bionic Commando: Rearmed: Good tough old-school platforming action, 2 player styles.

Perfect Dark: Just to re-live the glory days of the N64. Feels pretty dated though.

Monday Night Combat: Not exclusive, but I enjoyed it a fair bit. Probably lacking local players at this stage.

I'd also completely recommend the Gears series, not everyone's cup of tea but a good B-Grade action romp.

Speaking of NBA, NBA Jam is also a good (if light-hearted) time. I think it may be downloadable now too?

As for Live, I've recently let mine lapse back to silver. Would still prefer to have the free-to-play online capabilities of PS3 (minus the whole credit-card details stealing shenanigans.)

Oh yeah, you know of any good places to download it from?

Thanks man..

Edited by theflamer

When you decide to play discs again, consider the following:

Definitely

Gears of War series

Fable Series

Game i really enjoyed:

Viking Battle for Asgard

Afro Samurai

Also, if you wanna have parties in da house, well karaoke really, get:

Lips series

i gotta agree, i loved fable so much i bought a 2nd hand copy of fable II, and bought another copy just because it annoyed me that the case was broken. Fable III played like it was made by a bunch of monkeys throwing fecal matter at each other.

The only redeeming factor for Fable III was the way skills were levelled i spose, and maybe the jobs ingame?

?

Microsoft are kicking off House Party Feburary 15, for those who don't know Microsoft like doing month long promotions by releasing good XBLA games in quick succession.

Alan Wake American Nightmares

I am Alive

Nexuiz

Warp

Personally I'm looking forward to American Nightmare, from GT's campaign preview it looks pretty meaty, you get a 5 hour campaign, FMV, and a horde mode.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ces-2012-alan-wake/725725

Looks great as well.

Edited by King_TriTAN

Oh yeah, you know of any good places to download it from?

Thanks man..

Do you mean NBA Jam?