Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Nvidia hidden FPS limiter

That's right, I spotted in a thread on Nvidia forums, it's been taken on board by nvidia for a while now but never made it into drivers yet.

There's a way to unlock a driver level FPS limiter!

I use vsync all the damn time because I hate tearing and I hate 150 fps, stressing my hardware and using more electricity for no gain, especially on a 60hz monitor.

Vsync also causes slight input lag by nature of how it works, and can also severely drop framerates in certain games with certain cards.

I found how to get the hidden FPS limiter flag to work and just limit the FPS to 59 for everything, on a driver level.

I've only tried Skyrim so far, but going from a tearing mess without vsync on, I get 59fps constant all the damn time with no tearing and no vsync, shit yes!

(use 59FPS limit for 60hz)

Here's how, taken from the user "I Spy" this post

1) Download Nvidia Inspector

2) Download this Inspector config replacement file (7zip)

3) Replace the file in the Inspector directory

4) Look at this dude's screenshot for the rest

Posted Image

Yep, not needing to render higher than the needed fps, no jumping from 60 to 100 fps all the time, also reduced work compared to vsync, which still renders more frames than necessary

Yep, not needing to render higher than the needed fps, no jumping from 60 to 100 fps all the time, also reduced work compared to vsync, which still renders more frames than necessary

Sweet as. I'll ask one more question :-P

Why 59FPS?

Am I the only one that's experiencing slow down, with this driver tweak?

And I don't mean slow down as in frame rate drop stutter, mind you; I mean as in slo-motion proper.

Sweet as. I'll ask one more question :-P

Why 59FPS?

I can't remember exactly why it was 59 not 60, but I suspect it's to do with 60th being the overlapping frame?? I don't know but I need to find where I read it, probably to ensure no tearing.

@dread, I have only tested Skyrim, what game did you notice this on ?

on further testing limiting the fps to 59 doesnt stop tearing although it may reduce it its still rather bad in at least some games