Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

HDMI from AMD e350 help pls

Hi, I know a fair few things about computers, but output to TV from a PC isn't one of them...

I normally use my AMd E350 APU based machine as a PS3 media server over the network, works fine, mostly, some files just wont work, even when the next episode of a show in the same sequence will, drives me batshit mad.

So I hooked the media server to the TV directly VIA HDMI.

I cannot get sound over it with either VLC or MPC, also the video is choppy as fuck, PS3 never had those issues.

any gurus on this here? I'm about to throw it out the window.

pluged our e350 lappy in via hdmi and just had to change hdmi to the default sound device instead of its speakers and it worked

large 1080p x264 bluray rips are stutering but there coming over a wirless network so il try again when one has finished coppying over

but id say despite being downclocked on battery it will run this 720p vid fine directly from the pc so as to whats creating your problems maybe check its performance for a to narow things down to a software problem

unless there is a problem with the hdmi cable\plug

edit hmm what do you know some parts of the playback are stuttering badly while on batterty

Edited by Dasa

Well the cable worked fine on the ps3, it's software related I think, I tried updating drivers, it's annoying, I'd stick to ps3 media server if it would behave and play the odd files it disagrees with

plugging the power in makes the 720p vid watchable with the odd stutter but 1080p is still unwatchable

maybe a more efficient player\codec than vlc is needed

cpu usage is ~50-60% gpu usage is ~20-40%

disabling power saving features and setting it only use one display didnt help

Edited by Dasa

installed MPC-HomeCinema and ffdshow now 1080p seems to be flawless even on battery

so if your trying to play high def x264 files this should help smooth things out

but as for your other problems or if your not trying to play high def x264 files and this doesnt help :\

Edited by Dasa

Well the cable worked fine on the ps3, it's software related I think, I tried updating drivers, it's annoying, I'd stick to ps3 media server if it would behave and play the odd files it disagrees with

Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab > right click the ATI HDMI Audio device option and select set as default device.

Also check the bios settings in case there is an option in there to enable/disable audio over HDMI (some bioses have this).

Still no go then check device manager for any missing hardware as you may need to install the HDMI audio software.

At a guess you need either the AMD HDMI Audio Driver for AMD Radeon™ products (under the optional downloads tab)

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pag...on_xp-32.aspx#3 (that's for XP 32 bit)

Don't forget to do the display drivers as well. :P

Or possibly ATI HDMI Audio Device R2.67

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloads...p;GetDown=false

For the choppy video VLC is not the most efficient at playing back HD (X264) video, Instead try SMPlayer or Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Also check that you have the lappy plugged in to the mains and that the power scheme is set to full power when on mains power (control panel > power options).

Alright it ended up a combination of things but it's working perfectly!

Drivers hadn't worked for the gpu from initial install, so I updated them through windows update of all things.

Alistair you were right on the sound device so thanks it worked after changing that.

Vlc didn't cooperate so I use mpchc now, works sweet.

And after all that, it's the htpc not a lappy, so no battery worries there.

Alright it ended up a combination of things but it's working perfectly!

Drivers hadn't worked for the gpu from initial install, so I updated them through windows update of all things.

Alistair you were right on the sound device so thanks it worked after changing that.

Vlc didn't cooperate so I use mpchc now, works sweet.

And after all that, it's the htpc not a lappy, so no battery worries there.

Good stuff and check your bloody PMs will you?