Sign in to follow this  
elmo198

Another Sound thang!

I was wondering, what are the differences with DirectSound and WaveOutput sound? I have an X-FI fatalty sound card,

so I am hopeing to get the best possible sound out of my music, I use winamp, itune, WMP, and cyberlink for all my sound/movie stuff..

and using vista x64

So are you ripping your Cds to wav or MP3?

No no no he wants to get the most out of his 128kbit mp3 files, so hes wanting to know how to make his music sound awesome.

Not even the X fi will make them sound good.

Get yourself some Cds and rip them to wav with EAC, then we can do something.

Don't rip them to wav, rip them to FLAC or Wavpack or APE.

Not even the X fi will make them sound good.

Get yourself some Cds and rip them to wav with EAC, then we can do something.

Don't rip them to wav, rip them to FLAC or Wavpack or APE.

Please enlighten us as to the advantages.............

file size.

also, mp3s can be fine depending where you srop hearing differences.

for me its at 256k mp3.

the only thing that sounds better is CD, and FLAC but not by much.

as such, MP3s of that quality CAN be made to sound good.

HOWEVER its usually via better speakers, there is no software solution to 'fix mp3s' they're 'dirty' no matter what you do. as such, your soundcard, wont make a difference over onboard.

Using a pioneer amp (probably with one of its 'effects' on to clean what it can, i dont know) and a set of JBL floorstanders (about $2000 each, mind you) even a 196kbps MP3 was sounding fucking brilliant compared to 320kbps mp3s on good headphones.

I was honestly shocked. as such, i need to hear some FLAC on said setup. its my cousins.

ohhh FLAC, one day i really need to convert to using you.

Edited by Master_Scythe

You know.............I reckon wav sounds different to the original CD.

Slightly less dynamic, I think.

I've been wondering if it's the normalisation but the last time I did a comparison, they seemed to sound the same.

Edited by LogicprObe

a lot of people say that, there are 3 possibilities:

1. the playback device does something different when reading a CD vs reading a digital file

2. People are tricking themselves because they KNOW its a different source.

3. It actually is different for some reason.

I personally hate CDs as a media. I always have, ever since being a gamer. Cartridges vs CDs, carts win every time. In music i feel the same, it may sound the worlds tiniest bit different, but its small enough for me to carry micro SD cards instead of CDs, so i dont care.

Isn't there a hack so you cam play wav files?

I thought there was?

No need, iPods can play wav.

"Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV"

--------------------------------

EDIT: OP should consider looking into putting ROCKBOX on that ipod, if its past its warranty time, then you have FLAC support. just google and make sure your version of ipod is compatible

--------------------------------

the only reason i can think of, is once again, size.

When it comes to music, it drives my life. everything has a soundtrack.

I need a large collection to be with me depending on the mood and activity. I cant load just 5 artists of wav quality audio, when i could have 50 artists of 256-320kbps mp3 quality sound.

Besides, playing through anything but my actual standalone stereo mp3 arent MUCH lower.

Im using the above example for the OP's sake, I much preffer to use FLAC as a nice middle ground between CD and MP3.

Since the OP cant have FLAC, i'd recommend he switch to high bitrate (200+kbps) AAC, though DONT convert your mp3s, as this is 'transcoding' and loses quality. Just from now on, rip CDs in AAC instead of mp3.

"between 128kb-192kb" is bad quality, with the exception of 192kbps where it becomes passable imo.

http://www.fliptech.net/bitrate.shtml

there is a FANTASTIC example of mp3 accuracy, you'll notice how bad your lower bitrate MP3s are. Most people stop hearing at 18'000KHZ (i am one of them) as such, you'll see why i encode at 256-320kbps variable MP3 when i have to, and FLAC when i dont have to. (160-196 i can handle, but preffer to avoid).

lossless for the win, but sometimes its unavoidable or, in the case of wavs, impracticle.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I've got all the good songs off every CD I own in wav on a hard disk and it only takes up 70GB.

There aren't that many good songs in the world.

I don't see the point of listening to rubbish.

I have over 400CDs, all of which i purchased. All of which are mp3d (256-320 var and in the process of being FLACed from CD again).

Most are electronica compilations, so all the songs are good to me. an the others are indivudal artists, for example, atm, im listening to Louis Armstrong, if im in the mood for that music, the whole CD is what i want, not 'the good songs' besides, if i like an artist, all the songs are good. and I cant break an electronica compilation caus they're allmixed into each other and sound horrible.

I agree with the quality thing man, just aproach this logically.

I dont have the space to store them in WAV (why would i want to)

FLAC is lossless, and tiny compared to WAVs

I use MP3s at high bitrates because with earbuds, I dont believe they can play the difference anyway.

DJ systems (torq, serato etc) just run more smoothly dealing with mp3s than FLAC.

Electronica Artists normally distribute in 320kbps cbr MP3 when they send me their masters.

I have a reason for my choices. I agree that WAV(FLAC) is the solution to all our issues, but are impracticle for me at times.

My PC speakers (basic logitech X140's), $40 earbuds (not canal phones, hate em) and my only half finished car audio system, arent able to play whatever difference there is between MP3 and WAV\FLAC.

When i put headphones on, i can hear the difference (although its small) and ditto when i use my full dedicated stereo system or home theatre system. Though, those things get CDs put into them. FLAC is being used as a CD backup, but my digital playing sources arent quality enough to leave mp3s. Otherwise CDs are used.

I agree with you, its all ok, I just have different uses for my music.

According to EAC, Flac Lossless is not always 100% lossless, but I would go with that or WMA Lossless.

Depends on the level of compression, you can get it to its lossless.

however, honestly, 99% lossless is lossless enough. what'd i miss? something in the 21'000k range? wow, human ear sure can hear that.