TazFromOz

Hawaii Goodies?

So Mum's going to Hawaii, and wants to know what I want for a souvenir. Apparently clothes and shoes are cheap, so might go with that, not sure which ones. I'm a typical dyke, so "sensible shoes" only. No Converse coz they're evil :( Wouldn't mind decent jeans. Who's been to Hawaii / the States recently? What's good?

:)

Well, can't see you in an Hawaii shirt somehow, so jeans are a good option, unless you want something frivolous, Hawaii is full of souvenir shops, personally I collect cat figurines wherever I go and have a nice one from Hawaii, also may not be your style :)

Say hi to your mum (no, that's not an Atomic mum joke, I actually know Taz's mum, though she may not remember me, it was a long time ago in Port Augusta :) )

Cheers

Ooooh, get her to ask the Hawaiians if they still have any of James Cook's body parts. That'd be a cool conversation piece.

Any drink served in a coconut.

I bought two coconuts at the Spud Shed yesterday to do this myself. I'm gonna screwdriver+hammer a couple of holes in the sucker and pour some rum in this evening. It's gonna be gooood.

I'd love an island, but by the time I get to Hawaii it won't be there anymore. :,(

A hula girl

Hehe, sure, or better yet Grace Park. >.>

Ask if you can get one of the smaller islands.

I'd love an island, but by the time I get to Hawaii it won't be there anymore. :,(

A hula girl

Hehe, sure, or better yet Grace Park. >.>

Some lava rock.

You know you want it.

Actually, I kind of do. I'd love some of the rock they use for a Luau (sp?) too for caramalising beer, aka. Stone & Wood's stone beer, but can't see myself being able to talk Mum into that one.

Any drink served in a coconut.

I bought two coconuts at the Spud Shed yesterday to do this myself. I'm gonna screwdriver+hammer a couple of holes in the sucker and pour some rum in this evening. It's gonna be gooood.
I'm so jelly :o

You can't have a straw and colourful umbrella though, it'd ruin the manliness of the rum.

You can't have a straw and colourful umbrella though, it'd ruin the manliness of the rum.

Lies! Everything tastes better through a straw. I'm enjoying it now. Although I have no straws nor umbrellas. But if I did I'd use them.

Lies! Everything tastes better through a straw. I'm enjoying it now. Although I have no straws nor umbrellas. But if I did I'd use them.
So wait... you're enjoying something through a straw, but you don't have a straw? Hax!

I wouldn't mind being lei'd either :P

:)

Unfortunately anything food related will probably be seized on arrival.

I'm trying to recall because it's been a number of years since I was last there but there were some good souvenir places down on Battleship row, things commemorating the December 7 1941 attack, but that is probably not your style either.

Is your mum just going to Maui or Oahu or doing a bit of an island tour?

It gets somewhat more authentic the further out you get from the tourist traps.

Cheers

Its all touristy stuff.

Some of the touristy stuff isn't terrible, I just can't think of something that you'd buy from there that you couldn't get from anywhere else on the planet.

I can just remember thinking that it was super weird when I was standing over the Arizona, how many Japanese people were there doing the same thing.

Oh, on that note, tell whoever is going to go to the Arizona Memorial.

'

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Just got back from Cali about 3 days ago.

Things that are good deals to buy.

Clothes. They are mostly still on sale. This extends to ALL kinds of clothes. Tell her to buy you a bunch of socks at the very least.

Accessories. Handbags etc are all dirt cheap, think of the fashion brands and you will pick them up at a steal.

Linen. Seriously high thread count good quality sheets are on sale in most big department stores, same with pillow cases.

Luggage. You can get a full samsonite luggage set there for the price of a single case here. Depending on how much she buys a second/third case might be necessary.

Electronics. Again pretty much everything is on sale and is stupid cheap.

Camera equipment. If she will be there long enough getting stuff shipped to the hotel is worth it for the internet deals (although some places wont ship to hotels)

Computers. I picked up an base model Alienware M14x for 400 bucks less than what i can get it here, and if you factor in shipping about 600 less.

Chocolate covered Macadamia nuts. Their pretty fantastic.

Tiki idol (jade)

Hawaii T-shirt with the date '85 on it.