Sign in to follow this  
Virtuoso

A wireless LAN in my car?

Guys, I'd like Virtuoson and Virtuosibling to be able to play co-op games together on their iPods while we're out driving through the desert.

The iPods are wi-fi enabled. They can play co-op games on my home network by connecting wirelessly to it.

Is there cheapish device which will enable me to create a wireless local network in my car?

(I don't think internet access is required (?) for the iPods to be able to play co-op together .)

I'd appreciate any tips thanks.

This looks interesting:

http://www.autonetmobile.com/

I can't seem to find one in australia though.

You could always get a cheap wireless AP and hook it up to one of the AC car converters.

or this piece of awesomeness:

http://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/f.../wifi-pineapple

I've wanted to get a wifi pineapple for a while but they always seem to be out of stock.

Thanks everyone.

I don't need internet access from the wireless access point ... I just need the two iPods to be able to network together. So solutions which involve a 3G mobile phone acting as an access point would seem to me to be unnecessary (...?)

If just get a cheap wireless access point like this one from DealExtreme and devise a way to power it from my car's cigarette socket, would that enable the two iPods to network together?

In fact, this one seems to operate from a recharagable battery, which would be even better?

Edited by Virtuoso

Ye sure any wireless router will work fine so long as it has a built in DHCP server. Not sure if that one has as it calls itself a wireless AP and USB LAN card.

Then you would need to make a suitable power supply to run it from the cars electric circuit. This is why I suggested the above. No fart arsing around.

Ah thanks, just read that whole article. Appreciate your help. Networking has never been my strong point :-(

Ah thanks, just read that whole article. Appreciate your help. Networking has never been my strong point :-(

Can be a bloody black art at times :P

so, can't you setup an Ad-Hoc wireless connection between them?

Dunno. Is it permissable in Steve's Walled Garden of Eden? I'll try it and then report back. Edited by Virtuoso

so, can't you setup an Ad-Hoc wireless connection between them?

ye that was my first thought too, but some googling around suggests it is not possible. At least I can't find mention of it anywhere with some quick googling.

This looks good:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346

EDIT: Removed my pointless goings on about the Raspberry Pi as a carputer.

Cheap router on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/mobile-broadban...=item3cc092db9c

I know it's for 3 internet, but since it's a router too perhaps you can join both the phones to it (and thus to each other). No idea though, as there's not much info. Should run as long as the iPods, so depending on your trip it should be good.

Maybe get one of these just in case:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2A-1A-Car-Cigar...=item27bfe38e42

Then you can charge it (or the iPods, whichever runs out of gas first).

Edited by TazFromOz

I'm fairly sure most of those wifi hotspot thingos can take like 4-5 connections through wireless, so that should work.

If you have an old android phone already you may be able to turn that into a wireless hotspot too.

I just confirmed that the iPods will connect to a network and each other, even when there's no internet connection (thank you Steve).

So all I need is a wireless router which provides DHCP, and will run off a car cigarette socket, and my Virtuosiblings can multiplay down the highway :-)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Just use an Airport Express. Almost anything will work, 3g/4g mobile hotspot will work even if they have no internet access and you wouldn't need to fuck about with power conversion using them.

Edited by plebsmacker

Airport Express is the viable option if you have too much money and would like to keep the style of your in-car devices all apple shaped.

No I didn't. I don't know anything. All I know is you're my favourite.

I'm tempted to buy one of those pocket wi-fi/3g hubs, but I'm scared I'll fry my nuts off with rads.