Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
BobTheMonkey

Heroes vs. Villains

With all the bigotry that appears to continue in this forum unopposed is it time maybe we looked at introducing a villain tag.. (Hero / Villain)

What is every else's opinion on this issue? It could be based on a reputation system of some kind. Or just handed out like candy by the gods.

Maybe I got it wrong and bigotry isnt accepted here but yet it continues for fear of retribution.

With all the bigotry that appears to continue in this forum unopposed is it time maybe we looked at introducing a villain tag.. (Hero / Villain)

What is every else's opinion on this issue? It could be based on a reputation system of some kind. Or just handed out like candy by the gods.

Maybe I got it wrong and bigotry isnt accepted here but yet it continues for fear of retribution.

Hmm,

Can you post a list of members and their suggested tags? I feel this will go a long way to helping the mods make their decisions.

Its a trap!! Retribution ?

This is more suited to feedback, moving thread.

Also I disagree, this is a bad idea.

Then why are bigots left unopposed?

I like the idea of an anti-hero tag... But it would have to be given out so very carefully(like Hero tags are...)

It would have to be for people who have a good (and substantial) contribution to the forums, however do so for themselves rather than for others.

I don't think it would work. Too many people would just try and be arses, just to try and get the tag. Maybe you have to be a hero, before you can become an anti-hero?

And... I think the bigotry/etc you speak about it more in your mind than in others. I don't think people give enough of a shit around here to be bigots.

Ok here is my first example

I'm arguing with a person of low intelligence. This much makes sense now. I say this because you just have nfi what's going on here ... you take 1 fact and twist it so that it suits your ill informed argument.

I'm arguing with a person of low intelligence. This much makes sense now. I say this because you just have nfi what's going on here ... you take 1 fact and twist it so that it suits your ill informed argument.

Thats the truth though.

Posted Image

Rob.

irony deficiency

Definition:

An informal term for the inability to recognize, comprehend, and/or utilize irony. More broadly, a tendency to interpret figurative language in a literal way

Dude, that's a terrible example. You're citing a single slip-up from someone who has a supremely good reputation here as rational, respectful and level-headed. Gharf apologised, and has since given you a lot more room than you should probably expect.

It would be all too easy for someone else to cite a single instance where you were more than a little nasty recently. Would you like to, then, be permanently categorised with a 'villan' rank based on that?

If there was to be such as tag as you suggest, it would have to be based on the sum history of many years of posting, and clear trends.

Of course all that, IMHO, is invalid. Here's there's a positive ranking system that encourages through aspiration. Any negative events/people are generally well dealt with by the mods. So really there's no room for a negative rank without busting the system.

And of course there's the likelihood that some arseholes would aspire to a negative rank, and this proposed system only encourages more arsehattery. Bad.

Lastly, there's more than a hint of spite to the way you're suggesting this. That in itself would draw you closer to gaining a negative rank on that basis alone. It's ironic, Bob, this whole suggestion, and not one of your finest moments in your generally otherwise interesting and welcome return.

At least you see the irony :)

I echo your same senterments Flouncy.

This was just my last ditch attempt at trying to highlight the fact that bigotry is a problem, it's a problem in this forum, and not a lot of people seem to care or do anything about it, not even the mods.

They seem to have more intrest in finding and hunting trolls then they do bigots.

Bob

So if this is what the forum aspires to, then cut the shit and give the bigots a rank they can work towards. If its not, then lead by example or modeate the forum.

Edited by BobTheMonkey

You know there is still some places where free speech is allowed and the net is one of them. To openly brand someone as a villain on these forums would be doing the same disservice to them as you claim (wrongfully IMHO) is being done to you IE vilifying someone. And you know some here may come across as a villain but do that with their tongue firmly planted in their cheek just to stir the pot.

Just like there are people out there who like to claim erroneously that they are gay/transsexual/transvestites, the list goes on just to stir the pot. In short welcome to the internet, have fun don't believe everything you read and lighten up.

At least you see the irony :)

I echo your same senterments Flouncy.

This was just my last ditch attempt at trying to highlight the fact that bigotry is a problem, it's a problem in this forum, and not a lot of people seem to care or do anything about it, not even the mods.

They seem to have more intrest in finding and hunting trolls then they do bigots.

Bob

But the example you gave wasn't one of bigotry. Furthermore you're deliberately quoting something a mod said, and that's already derailed your concept because while, yes, the mods came down on you forcefully to toe the line - that was their only MO, none of them ever said, or came close to saying anything remotely attacking aspects of you or your life which may be called uncommon, or whatever the definition of biggotry is these days - they didn't do it.

This all said with an understanding of the shit you've copped over the last few days, with real bigotry having occurred - but there's surely a smarter, more productive way of confronting that than this.

since when do I hate gay people?

He's trying to show that being gay isn't a choice, just like being fat.

Except you can't just walk off wanting to bum other dudes.

'

bullshit. Elton John does that all the time after an argument with his husband.

:P

The fat acceptance thing can fuck off. Fat lazy people wanting an excuse to keep being fat and lazy and a burden on others.

So what your saying is its offensive for trans people to be out the closet but it's ok to offend them with this kind of tv ad? Becouse they should be at home in the closet?

yep because its 100% out of your control to wear a pink cardigan and high heels into your local woolworths....

Are you fucking serious?

avoiding something for being relics is ageist

for a touchy transsexual you are really good at dissing things that aren't important in your little world

...And of course there's the likelihood that some arseholes would aspire to a negative rank, and this proposed system only encourages more arsehattery.

well you almost proposed a solution to that problem; if we avoided the paradoxical coolness of "villain" in favour of, say, arsehat.

still a terrible idea, but the idea of seeing some select members with that under their names amuses me :)

Yes my example was not of bigotry becouse I shouldn't have to point it out, if the mods where intrested in stamping it out they would but rather they would stamp me out instead.

Edited by BobTheMonkey

You're making yourself the villain in this instance mate.

Making yourself a target intentionally, then crying when people bite. What the fuck do you expect?

You're making yourself the villain in this instance mate.

Making yourself a target intentionally, then crying when people bite. What the fuck do you expect?

Yes blame the victim for wearing a miniskirt when she gets raped..

If the intent of wearing the miniskirt is to get raped, yes.

If the intent was simply to look good, no.

I dunno. I assume it's the same reason that people intentionally put themselves out there to be made the victim, then get made the victim and THEN cry about it.

not sure why you left me in your quote above Bob, since mine was essentially a linguistic joke about Foods' wording.

as for the rest of your evidentiary exhibits, youre case is not very compelling...

there are no hard and fast rules beyond the common sense and the pooled wisdom of the *ods considering all available information. homphobia, racism, etc are not welcome here.

in the case of some comments you interpret as hate speech against fat people, others will see only legitimate opinions contending that obesity is largely a matter of poor lifestyle choice, albeit expressed in an abrasive manner. now, it may be that one or two of these comments cross either the line, or your line, and this is exactly when you should RTM (use the REPORT! button) and leave the matter in the hands of those who watch over the forums. e.g. HC's comment above is fairly rude in my books but probably won't warrant much or any action if it all stops there.

youre not going to get far here with such a precious victim mentality. lets interpret this: "for a touchy transsexual you are really good at dissing things that aren't important in your little world". well, you do seem to be touchy, and are a transsexual (?) so what is the problem? in case youre genuinely wondering: the transsexual reference is only there to expose the irony of you being so apparently impatient and narrow minded (to scruffy1) when one would perhaps expect the travails of your minority status to necessarily make you anything but.

Edited by @~thehung

As history, and i'm sure HC won't mind me saying so...

He used to be fairly overweight... He decided to make a change himself, and did so brilliantly.

The man is a fucking cut machine now... Slim, muscular... a poster boy(hahahaha) for how you can change things about yourself if only you put the effort in.

not sure why you left me in your quote above Bob, since mine was essentially a linguistic joke about Food's wording.

as for the rest of your evidentiary exhibits, youre case is not very compelling...

there are no hard and fast rules beyond the common sense and the pooled wisdom of the *ods considering all available information. homphobia, racism, etc are not welcome here.

in the case of some of comments you interpret as hate speech against fat people, others will see only legitimate opinions contending that obesity is largely a matter of poor lifestyle choice, albeit expressed in an abrasive manner. now, it may be that one or two of these comments cross either the line, or your line, and this is exactly when you should RTM (the REPORT! button) and leave the matter in the hands of those who watch over the forums. e.g. HC's comment above is fairly rude in my books but probably won't warrant much or any action if it all stops there.

youre not going to get far here with such a precious victim mentality. lets interpret this: "for a touchy transsexual you are really good at dissing things that aren't important in your little world". well, you do seem to be touchy, and are a transexual (?) so what is the problem? in case youre genuinely wondering, the transexual reference is only there to expose the irony of you being so apparently impatient and narrow minded (to scruffy1) when one would expect the travails of your minority status to necessarily make you anything but.

How relavent is someone's gender and/or sexuality to the topic of starwars?

How relavent is who Elton has sex with

I agree the pooled wisdom is in favor of bigotry comments.

Edited by BobTheMonkey