Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
michael.jenkin

michael.jenkin Photos

i've been looking for jumping spiders, love their big eyes

This spider was less than 1/2 mm long. I ued a Canon MPE65 to be able to see it. It looked like a piece of dust blowing around, attached to a web.

I took this hand held. Very lucky shot !

I am going to try and film a spider with the 7D and MPE65. Should be interesting.

that IS unusual spider

yeah, freaky

I hope you torched that abomination with fire after you took that pic.

No, but i did wash my hands. Does that count ?

michael if you didn't see the link i posted awhile ago, look up thomasshahan.com, his macro is fucking amazing, there is a video on it too and it has macro footages of jumping spiders etc, pretty cool stuff

on another note went to play basketball today and saw 2 different kinds of jumping spider i haven't seen before, so cut i didn't have my macro lens with me

michael if you didn't see the link i posted awhile ago, look up thomasshahan.com, his macro is fucking amazing, there is a video on it too and it has macro footages of jumping spiders etc, pretty cool stuff

on another note went to play basketball today and saw 2 different kinds of jumping spider i haven't seen before, so cut i didn't have my macro lens with me

Cool. Thanks for that

Posting my first 45 image Panoramic http://t.co/8B3fZwvu

Picture of the shacks at Pt Parham in South Australia, taken from the waterline.

Not a great one (Overcast day etc) but my first big panoramic. I have not put a thumbnail here as it will look like a thin black line :)

About time I put in another photo.

This is one I took Christmas 2010 of my daughter. I really like it.

Posted Image

Here's a more recent HDR

Posted Image

Edited by michael.jenkin

Congrats on your POTM

Wow, I did not even know!

Thanks MandoTiM

great post and discussion that ensued, shame about the subject...

I wanted to give you all something to look at and make you wonder.

These are all items you are likely familiar with.

Don't cheat, but the item descriptions are on my flickr page (For later reference).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Flickr Computer set

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by michael.jenkin

I'm not going to hop to the flickr page and cheat...

2nd last one is copper windings on a ferrite core for some small electronic part. The other stuff I have no idea. #1 I was going to say the the nut on a guitar neck where the strings stretch over, but they don't have look of metal strings. #2 doesn't have enough depth of field to get an idea, and #3 - WTF?

#4 I'd say is the pins of a CPU with focus on the tips and the lengths of the pins out of focus to give that effect. #5 -5 no idea...#8 - no idea...

They like kinda nice in an abstract sort of way.

Edited by Antraman

I'm not going to hop to the flickr page and cheat...

2nd last one is copper windings on a ferrite core for some small electronic part. The other stuff I have no idea. #1 I was going to say the the nut on a guitar neck where the strings stretch over, but they don't have look of metal strings. #2 doesn't have enough depth of field to get an idea, and #3 - WTF?

#4 I'd say is the pins of a CPU with focus on the tips and the lengths of the pins out of focus to give that effect. #5 -5 no idea...#8 - no idea...

They like kinda nice in an abstract sort of way.

Very good guesses!

When you went over to look at the real images/descriptions, did any shock you?

It is amazing how these things we see everyday, look different at macro distance.

yep, 4 is socket a i expect

5 & 6 are the socket for 774 or later

7 is a ferrite core

1 i think is an ethernet plug

howzat ?

yep, 4 is socket a i expect

5 & 6 are the socket for 774 or later

7 is a ferrite core

1 i think is an ethernet plug

howzat ?

Knocked it out of the ball park!

Well done !

Some cool photos here. I found my way here via the green room thread. I'm gonna take a few guesses.

#2 looks like its the internal view of an I/O panel. The stripes are tracks leading off the board to the top connector, possibly an old printer/scanner paralell port.

edit: #8 looks like an high angle of a small heatsink, one where the fins stick straight up. didn't pick it until I posted and it was resized.

I think the others have been guessed already.

Edited by p0is0n

Some cool photos here. I found my way here via the green room thread. I'm gonna take a few guesses.

#2 looks like its the internal view of an I/O panel. The stripes are tracks leading off the board to the top connector, possibly an old printer/scanner paralell port.

edit: #8 looks like an high angle of a small heatsink, one where the fins stick straight up. didn't pick it until I posted and it was resized.

Well done. Yes, that is a parallel port. There are not many of us around these days that can recognise these :)

I just want to say, thanks for coming to the Photography area. It is nice to have new visitors.

Even though I have been severly "spanked" for cross posting, I am glad I did it. Everyone is welcome and the feedback has been awesome !

I really like the heatsink and the LGA socket shots, and the Celeron pins too, although I prefer the shots in your gallery that have greater depth of field. I think they would make great black and white shots.

I really like the heatsink and the LGA socket shots, and the Celeron pins too, although I prefer the shots in your gallery that have greater depth of field. I think they would make great black and white shots.

Yes, I agree about the DOF. I actually took many of my gallery samples in to show the staff and we all voted and were happy with the photos we selected for the boardroom wall.

I even turned some of them into black and white. We thought we had a solution and then we asked someone who does not work in IT.

Interesting how perspective changes.

The IT People I asked seemed to choose pictures of things not even slightly releated to IT. We choose countryside images and building images.

Clients/outsiders expect to see IT pictures. To them it represents us. As the boardroom is mainly for clients, we have gone for close up IT equipment with repetative patterns.

I used the shallow DOF to try and disguise what the items are so that us IT folk are not bored looking at them.

An MPE65 is a very hard lens to handle with regards to focus. It has to be my favorite lens. I previously used a bellows and extensions but now, I just use the MPE65.

Posted Image