michael.jenkin

michael.jenkin Photos

I really like the heatsink and the LGA socket shots, and the Celeron pins too, although I prefer the shots in your gallery that have greater depth of field. I think they would make great black and white shots.

Yes, I agree about the DOF. I actually took many of my gallery samples in to show the staff and we all voted and were happy with the photos we selected for the boardroom wall.

I even turned some of them into black and white. We thought we had a solution and then we asked someone who does not work in IT.

Interesting how perspective changes.

The IT People I asked seemed to choose pictures of things not even slightly releated to IT. We choose countryside images and building images.

Clients/outsiders expect to see IT pictures. To them it represents us. As the boardroom is mainly for clients, we have gone for close up IT equipment with repetative patterns.

I used the shallow DOF to try and disguise what the items are so that us IT folk are not bored looking at them.

An MPE65 is a very hard lens to handle with regards to focus. It has to be my favorite lens. I previously used a bellows and extensions but now, I just use the MPE65.

surprised you can focus at all and keep it steady with that set up! Must be a pretty sturdy tripod, then how do you support the item you are photographing?

Have you thought about focus stacking to get the required DOF? Came acros a review of a book by some NQld photographers called Rainforest Country with spectacular focus stacks - looks difficult but the results are stunning...

Rainforest Country by Stanley & Kaiser Breeden

surprised you can focus at all and keep it steady with that set up! Must be a pretty sturdy tripod, then how do you support the item you are photographing?

Have you thought about focus stacking to get the required DOF? Came acros a review of a book by some NQld photographers called Rainforest Country with spectacular focus stacks - looks difficult but the results are stunning...

Rainforest Country by Stanley & Kaiser Breeden

My manfrotto handled it fine. I don't use that rig anymore. I now have the MPE65 :)

My did a lot of Focus stacking (or deep focus) early on

Posted Image

Not the sort of photos I want to be taking :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, my car :(

There is more on Flickr

Edited by michael.jenkin

What the hell happened? Was it an accident or did someone do that intentionally?

Some hooligan did this to my car. The police are hunting them now :(

What the hell happened? Was it an accident or did someone do that intentionally?

Would be better if they were literally hunting them...

That sucks massively though, i think i've been lucky so far with my car accessible from the street (Touch wood!)

That sucks massively though, i think i've been lucky so far with my car accessible from the street (Touch wood!)

My day gets better. The repaired said roughly 2-3 weeks and roughly 5-7k for the repairs (Which my insurance company is going to love).

I then went and picked up a loan car, drove it 4 kms and the 2 rear tires went down. They both had nails in them.

I then went for the spare - it had an even bigger nail in it.

I call the hire car company and they want $95 to come out and will be hitting us for the $300 excess for their insurance for the tires ... what the ??????

I am staying away from all cars today and trying not to get too angry !

My day gets better. The repaired said roughly 2-3 weeks and roughly 5-7k for the repairs (Which my insurance company is going to love).

I then went and picked up a loan car, drove it 4 kms and the 2 rear tires went down. They both had nails in them.

I then went for the spare - it had an even bigger nail in it.

I call the hire car company and they want $95 to come out and will be hitting us for the $300 excess for their insurance for the tires ... what the ??????

I am staying away from all cars today and trying not to get too angry !

FFS... don't bother buying a lotto ticket this month.

Did you drown puppies in a past life or something?

FFS... don't bother buying a lotto ticket this month.

Did you drown puppies in a past life or something?

One if my staff members came up to me and said .. "I believe in Karma. Don't worry, these guys will get what's coming to them. Err, by the way .. what did you do in a previous life to deserve this .........."

Trying 2 tecniques to photograph fireworks this Christmas.

1) Using a variable ND filter with long exposure

Posted Image

2) A long exposure with black cloth covering the lens between fireworks bursts

Posted Image

This is in place of shooting from the hip with a short exposure

Posted Image

I keeping with my recent theme of trying different things

InfraRed 720 nm

Posted Image

ND 400

Posted Image

Variable ND - My daughter light painting

Posted Image

Ultraviolet

Posted Image

Underwater

Posted Image

I modified a Vivitar flash today and made it a full spectrum light source.

Here is one of the first shots in UV

Posted Image

Here is one the in the visual spectrum but I used a UV blacklight to paint the flower

Posted Image

The spider is Uloborus plumipes. <edit>

Just in case you were curious. I've only ever seen one of these once - a very timid spider and quite small.

Dave

Wow thanks Dave. I never thought I would find out what it was.

There's a wealth of information on the Internet!!!

But I also have a lot of books in Australian spiders, including long out of print stuff. :-) Plus, there's not much I haven't seen in 10+ years of macro shooting.

Dave

My first IR Goldie (590nm)

Quite like that...

Yes, I think the 590nm IR Filter with swapped Red and Blue channels and custom white balance produces a very interesting effect. I hope to play some more with it soon.

what happens when you add 2 or more filters of different wavelength together?

As the filters pass a band (so my 590nm is likely a 560-590nm) then maybe by overlapping I might reduce the band to the overlapped amount of band between the two filters. I doubt it would look special or much different. I can try my 630 nm and 650nm. They would likely overlap.

Putting a 720 on a 590 would likely just block out all light. The filter bands do not overlap.