michael.jenkin

michael.jenkin Photos

In search of Asteroid 2012 DA14

Posted Image

Not my best ever photograph but I am very happy to have been one of the many watchers on this night.

It was 4 am, 16th Feb in Australia (Adelaide). I was woken by my youngest and descided it might be a good idea to grab a camera and head outside (very warm outside). I had planned to be out there at 6 am but I was awake anyway so why not head out. I was not going to use the 8" Newtonian, just a camera, so I was not going to wake the house assembling things.

I was ill prepared. A camera, Tripod, remote release, chair, Tamrom 250-500mm lens and Canon 70-200mm L lens.

I had an article on my iPad to help me locate Asteroid 2012 DA14. <a href="http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/02/13/3688782.htm" rel="nofollow">www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/02/13/3688782.htm</a>

It showed where it would be at roughly 4:45 am through to 6 am when twilight would make viewing DA14 impossible (as it enters Leo).

I had a compass so finding West was easy (using my red torch light). Unfortuntly the light in the West was polluted by street lights so the camera saw more than me. I could find the southern Cross (Crux) easy enough. I had my bearings but I still found it very hard to find 2012 DA14. I ended up pointing the camera in the approximate direction (And as it was pitch black, I soon discovered I did not even have the tripod level but could not tell at the time).

I then proceeded to take images across the sky hoping to catch something. (I took photos from Vela accross to Crater). Not sure where I captured this.

Canon 7D, ISO 3200, 5 sec shutter (hence the star trails), 200 mm. F/8

I saw a number of satelites pass over. I could pick them out with their flashing lights. Then I saw something different and this image is what I captured. It might be DA14, not sure but it was in the right place, right time, right angle etc.

I propose that this is Asteroid 2012 DA14, which passed by Earth at a distance of around 20,000 miles and a speed of around 18,000 mph. Object size was approximately 150feet across.

Posted Image

Macro ring light makes the eyes very animated and a little freaky.

Canon 5D, MPE65mm, 2x mag

Meike FC-100 Macro Ring Flash LED Light (Economy ring flash or light with variable power and modes allowing 1/2 ring flash).

At least you can say you saw DA14. Thats awesome.

Also, dat spider. Aaaargh! Great shot...but terrible subject...8-)

Hello World ! (Yes, I am not dead).

It has been ages since I have posted. Work has been hard and as I own my own business, it has been a 24x7 kind of hard.

Anyway, here is a pic I have over processed in HDR, to make it look cool

Posted Image

Magna from the Salt Pan

Posted Image

Magna in the salt pan

Posted Image

Comodore in mud

Posted Image

Gemini in mud

Posted Image

IR 590 Semaphore

Posted Image

Water at Semaphore

Posted Image

Salt Pan sunset

Posted Image

Nice Elise or is/was it an Exige? Also like the HDR effect on the cars a lot, not too heavy and it brings out the textures well.

Nice Elise or is/was it an Exige? Also like the HDR effect on the cars a lot, not too heavy and it brings out the textures well.

You have a good eye. It is an Elise.

You have a good eye. It is an Elise.

"Ma favourite" as the saying goes...

Beautiful shots as always.

Love the shot inside the rover such a nice idea - definitely my favourite photo, if not my favourite car :P

Beautiful shots as always.

Love the shot inside the rover such a nice idea - definitely my favourite photo, if not my favourite car :P

I loved the wood work in that car and the HDR did a nice job (ignoring my feet)

Stars !

4 am at Mt Crawford in South Australia .... brrr cold

20 seconds, ISO (H) for a Canon 5D - I think it is 3200 ?

Posted Image

1 hour, ISO (L) - 50.

Posted Image

20 seconds, ISO (H)

Posted Image

Edited by michael.jenkin

Normally I'm not a fan of too much hdr, but they work well with the cars. I like. The colour of the sheet metal really pops :)

Normally I'm not a fan of too much hdr, but they work well with the cars. I like. The colour of the sheet metal really pops :)

I agree about HDR. These images are very heavy or Extreme HDR. As the items are metal with reflections, it makes them look awesome.

I normally only take HDR if there are heavy storm clouds and I want the impact look of the shades of black and grey.

Still, the huge and varried number of ways of taking photos is what keeps it interesting.

So I have been busy taking photos and not posting. Looking back, here are some favorites.

Fire Wool spinning

Posted Image

Posted Image

Retro

Posted Image

Tribute to Anzac's

Posted Image

A trip to the beach

Posted Image

My tribute to Orion's great nebula

Posted Image

And stars