Sign in to follow this  
p0is0n

Addictions

He may just come back a changed man tantryl :)

@ OP, whilst trawling the ABC news site I found this.

"Marijuana users trying to kick the habit may soon have the help of a product similar to nicotine patches for smokers.

A team from the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre at the University of New South Wales is trialling an oral spray to help ease marijuana withdrawal symptoms.

The centre's director, Professor Jan Copeland, says it is a pharmaceutical extract of botanical cannabis which smooths the peaks of withdrawal.

"It has low dose THC because we don't want people to get stoned, we just want to help them settle down with their levels of cannabis use, and relatively high doses of CBD, which is the good cannabis which reduces

anxiety and has an anti-psychotic effect," she said.

Professor Copeland says the spray is equivalent to nicotine patches for cigarette smokers.

"It is a really exciting new development in the management of cannabis withdrawal and it is a pharmaceutical extract of botanical cannabis, so it is a natural whole plant organically grown product and it is used as a mouth spray," she said.

She says it targets the cannabis withdrawal symptoms that make it hard to quit.

"Withdrawal symptoms are one of the main reasons that people have problems stopping. It is like tobacco withdrawal but different and of course we all know people that say 'It is easy to give up tobacco, I've done it a thousand times.'

Audio: Spray to help alleviate marijuana withdrawal (AM)

"It is a similar kind of situation here. It is not a life-threatening withdrawal such as alcohol but some people have extreme problems with their sleep, they have problems with feeling really irritable and in fact outbursts of anger.

"Their appetites are disturbed and things like that and it really is enough over a few days to drive them back to using again.

"Helping people manage withdrawal is really going to set them on the pathway to long-term abstinence."

About 200,000 Australians use cannabis daily. That means about 1 per cent of the population currently meet criteria for cannabis dependence. "

Made it through today by trying to keep busy all day, not leaving myself with more than a few minutes to ponder anything.

Also had plenty of people here to chat with, and recieved a few very supportive PMs. So thanks again to everyone :)

Rather than a GP, why not have a talk to a drug counsellor as a first step? There are a fair few centres listed here and I'm pretty sure they'll be more than happy to chat things through with you =)

Thanks for this suggestion, I hadn't considered it, but it doesn't mean I won't. I don't feel I need to talk about much really.. just need to have someone check me out thoroughly and make sure I haven't done any serious damage to myself.

Sorry, not trying to nay-say here, but this line above made me feel I have to link this

Was waiting for this to show up in here. Surprised it took so long :)

I found the link p0is(+)n, your body needs you ! :)

Thanks for your advice, and for digging up this link eveln. Downloading it now, will watch it before bed tonight.

Im already worried given its about sugar, as all i've ingested today is 2 red bulls, 2 coffees and some coke... tomorrow will be water and real food hopefully.

"Marijuana users trying to kick the habit may soon have the help of a product similar to nicotine patches for smokers.

Thanks for this link too, I wonder how effective it really is? Seems to be aimed at the right symptoms.

Intrestingly it also states that 200,000 australians smoke daily, which makes me wonder how many smoke weekly, or monthly..

I saw a related article following your link reporting australia and NZ have the highest use in the world. Something like 15% of the population smoke weed occationally.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-06/auss...bis-use/3761106

@GL0Be -

Thanks for sharing your story, I am not going to quote it because its long, but I read it through a few times and a lot of it sounded all too familliar. Lucky for me I've only let my weed use get out of control, and within the last year I have hardly touched anything else but occational acid. I'll be avoiding as many faces as I can for a few weeks at least, then may test myself around those who are actually decent guys and that I would like to remain friends with if I can. If I can't resist I know what I have to do. I'm constantly tempted by the easy money but its not who or what I want to be and probably how I got into such a mess. I've got a decent job now that I want to try and keep. I've had 4 jobs within the last year, been fired from 1, and quit 2 because I couldn't be fucked with it and wanted to stay home every day to smoke, I'd make just as much money that way anyway, which I haven't told anyone before.

Im glad your partner set you straight. Part of the reason I am trying to change is for a special lady in my life. We've been together until recently for 4+ yrs and I blame myself for it. I changed big time, and I am surprised she put up with me for as long as she did.

Thanks again for sharing, and welcome back if you're sticking around mate :)

Edited by p0is(+)n

He may just come back a changed man tantryl :)

A team from the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre at the University of New South Wales is trialling an oral spray to help ease marijuana withdrawal symptoms.

The centre's director, Professor Jan Copeland, says it is a pharmaceutical extract of botanical cannabis which smooths the peaks of withdrawal.

"It has low dose THC because we don't want people to get stoned, we just want to help them settle down with their levels of cannabis use, and relatively high doses of CBD, which is the good cannabis which reduces

anxiety and has an anti-psychotic effect," she said.

Professor Copeland says the spray is equivalent to nicotine patches for cigarette smokers.

"It is a really exciting new development in the management of cannabis withdrawal and it is a pharmaceutical extract of botanical cannabis, so it is a natural whole plant organically grown product and it is used as a mouth spray," she said.

She says it targets the cannabis withdrawal symptoms that make it hard to quit.

"Withdrawal symptoms are one of the main reasons that people have problems stopping. It is like tobacco withdrawal but different and of course we all know people that say 'It is easy to give up tobacco, I've done it a thousand times.'

Audio: Spray to help alleviate marijuana withdrawal (AM)

"It is a similar kind of situation here. It is not a life-threatening withdrawal such as alcohol but some people have extreme problems with their sleep, they have problems with feeling really irritable and in fact outbursts of anger.

"Their appetites are disturbed and things like that and it really is enough over a few days to drive them back to using again.

"Helping people manage withdrawal is really going to set them on the pathway to long-term abstinence."

About 200,000 Australians use cannabis daily. That means about 1 per cent of the population currently meet criteria for cannabis dependence. "

There was a big blue over this on one of the cannabis forums, apparently NCPIC have the exclusive rights to this product which as you noted is not a synthetic product but is taken straight from the plant itself, raising the question of why is it legal for some people to grow and sell it and not others? And why to the NPIC denounce cannabis use one hand and promote this product on the other? I'll see if I can find the link as it was quite informative and Jan Copeland even turned up, until she got slammed for avoiding relevant questions. :)

Found it, this one is a Q & A with the person mention in the article you posted: Link

And a summary discussion here : Link

(Soz, didn't mean to hijack the thread but the subject of sativex was raised and people should know about it, and well done to p0is(+)n, I'm sure you'll get through it dude. :) )

Edited by Director

Geez Globey.....

We've talked a lot, met, I've even stayed at your place and I sort of intuitively knew that was in your past, brave man, and right decision, your lady is unbelievable, in all the best ways :)

See you soon mate :)

Cheers

Fuck man, gambling is a problem that I'm glad is still just a yet for me. It's insanity; if you were winning, you wouldn't be saying this right? But you are probably, very much in the statistical sense of the word, losing money. Yet you continue to repeat the same mistake hoping for a different outcome, every single time. I just don't get it intellectually, yet I totally understand the compulsion.

A friend of mine would blow his entire paycheck on prostitutes, then sell his own arse to get money for more prostitutes. I watched him do that repeatedly for years.

Some people dabble, others have the gene.

To be honest it's not even about money for me anymore. It's all about that feeling I get when I hit the feature. I'm not playing to win, just for the feature.

I have heard people have more luck playing keno?

one of my mates can turn $1 into like $20 on any poker machine but none of us are addicted, hes just some kind of freak of nature :S

@the OP don't laugh but I am addicted to exercise, like seriously I get really irritable if I go for to long without it.

Poker machines are 100% luck based, there's no skill whatsoever involved. Your mate is just very lucky. My pet dog could smash that button over and over and have the same chances of winning as you or i.

Poker machines are 100% luck based, there's no skill whatsoever involved. Your mate is just very lucky. My pet dog could smash that button over and over and have the same chances of winning as you or i.

I am aware of that, I was merely pointing out his very good luck.

I am aware of that, I was merely pointing out his very good luck.

Ah right, thought you were saying he had some kind of skill regarding poker machines. My bad.

There was a big blue over this on one of the cannabis forums, apparently NCPIC have the exclusive rights to this product which as you noted is not a synthetic product but is taken straight from the plant itself, raising the question of why is it legal for some people to grow and sell it and not others? And why to the NPIC denounce cannabis use one hand and promote this product on the other? I'll see if I can find the link as it was quite informative and Jan Copeland even turned up, until she got slammed for avoiding relevant questions. :)

Found it, this one is a Q & A with the person mention in the article you posted: Link

And a summary discussion here : Link

(Soz, didn't mean to hijack the thread but the subject of sativex was raised and people should know about it, and well done to p0is(+)n, I'm sure you'll get through it dude. :) )

Interesting reading director, I did notice it used real plant extract from the story, specificity mentioning THC and CBD which are the main psychoactive compounds, so how is the spray not illegal? Sounds fairly hypocritical, as in, THC and CBD is OK in one context, but not in another.

I haven't visited oz stoners in some time, but its a great community with many knowledgeable members. Good to see most of the old timers are still around.

I read through the Q&A and summary and as you said was fairly informative.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Hey no probs.

Yeah basically NCPIC are against it if you smoke it but for it if you take it one of their expensive pills. :) The other issue to arise from all that was that the pills are OK to take the edge off those who are addicted but it doesn't seem to help the medical guys too much, at least not as much as the real stuff. Out of curiosity did you spin when you were on the weed?

It doesn't seem to have any medicinal application to me, as it specifically states the levels are too low to have any 'high' effect, which is what medical users need, the powerful effect of a strong CBD strain. My first few years I did not spin, but the last 1-1.5 yrs I was using spin to dilute my cones a bit. I don't smoke cigarettes so I think part of the reason I am struggling is also a mild nicotine addiction. This changed as regular smoking buddies changed, and I got sick of chopping my own bowl every time to avoid the baccy.

It doesn't seem to have any medicinal application to me, as it specifically states the levels are too low to have any 'high' effect, which is what medical users need, the powerful effect of a strong CBD strain. My first few years I did not spin, but the last 1-1.5 yrs I was using spin to dilute my cones a bit. I don't smoke cigarettes so I think part of the reason I am struggling is also a mild nicotine addiction. This changed as regular smoking buddies changed, and I got sick of chopping my own bowl every time to avoid the baccy.

Eh, so your coming down off nicotine as well. Nasty.

At least nicotine withdrawal only lasts a few days. :)

I just quit the smokes and booze in the last few months as well. IMHO, patches and pills and sprays and shit are just useless.

Dare I say only good for big pharma profits. If you truly want to stop something, then just stop.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by katalyst

I just quit the smokes and booze in the last few months as well. IMHO, patches and pills and sprays and shit are just useless.

Dare I say only good for big pharma profits. If you truly want to stop something, then just stop.

Good on you for giving them up too :) I agree about those kind of products, pharma companies know people will try and fail, but every time they try they will sell more patches, or more gum etc.

I've said this to a few people, but i'll post it here too, as I think its pretty relevant. The reason I think i've failed the last few times I tried to stop is exactly that. I said to myself I am going to try and stop this shit, because I think I should. The reason wasn't because I didn't want to smoke any more, the reason was that I felt like I should give it up and take a break. Every time I felt a craving or a moment of weakness, I still wanted to go and have a cone, and more often than not that's what I did.

This time, it was a conscious effort and decision that this is something I no longer want, its been 3 days so far and I think its only going to get easier now. This time I really wanted it, and looks like I might have got what I wanted.

Good on you for giving them up too :) I agree about those kind of products, pharma companies know people will try and fail, but every time they try they will sell more patches, or more gum etc.

I've said this to a few people, but i'll post it here too, as I think its pretty relevant. The reason I think i've failed the last few times I tried to stop is exactly that. I said to myself I am going to try and stop this shit, because I think I should. The reason wasn't because I didn't want to smoke any more, the reason was that I felt like I should give it up and take a break. Every time I felt a craving or a moment of weakness, I still wanted to go and have a cone, and more often than not that's what I did.

This time, it was a conscious effort and decision that this is something I no longer want, its been 3 days so far and I think its only going to get easier now. This time I really wanted it, and looks like I might have got what I wanted.

Yep, I think your right on the money.

Well done for making through the hardest part intact. (The first few days). :)

I don't smoke cigarettes so I think part of the reason I am struggling is also a mild nicotine addiction.

interesting. not out to start an argument coz only you will know how you feel and may know better, but my natural presumption would have been that its the other way around. ie. mild physical fallout from one (ableit with very stong habitual obstacles to overcome over longer time frames) versus protracted nicotine-baby tantrums from the other. just putting it out there, especially in case youve never quit cigarettes in the past, that one doesnt need to be anything approaching a 'heavy smoker' to experience quite significant withdrawal from tobacco.

I found the link p0is(+)n, your body needs you ! :)

Thanks for your advice, and for digging up this link eveln. Downloading it now, will watch it before bed tonight.

Im already worried given its about sugar, as all i've ingested today is 2 red bulls, 2 coffees and some coke... tomorrow will be water and real food hopefully.

IIRC you're still in your early twenties, all being well making the effort now will still pay huge dividends to you. As opposed to someone cleaning up their life twenty or more years later than you.

Just get some real food into you and keep it up. The simpler the better just now I reckon, as your motivation levels for cooking etc. are probably close to nil :P

Thanks for this link too, I wonder how effective it really is? Seems to be aimed at the right symptoms.

Intrestingly it also states that 200,000 australians smoke daily, which makes me wonder how many smoke weekly, or monthly..

I saw a related article following your link reporting australia and NZ have the highest use in the world. Something like 15% of the population smoke weed occationally.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-06/auss...bis-use/3761106

I've no idea how good/helpful the stuff would be. It was just kinda quircky that one minute I'm reading /posting here, and then jump over to ABC site and there it is :)

Just a quick update.. so far so good.

Yesterday for lunch tried to eat a nandos wrap, but it was made like shit and the chicken was too tough and stringy, but I ate about half of it. woo. In my teens a wrap like that would have been devoured in seconds, regardless of quality. For dinner I ovened a pizza and ate most of that too. You would think after about 3 days of not eating my tummy might have at least been grumbling, but nope. Nothing, and no appetite either, but I forced it down as advised.

The real test came when I found a fifty (baggie with $50 of weed in it) I must have misplaced or stashed in the car lol. I managed to resist, and didn't open or smoke it. I didn't chuck it out either tho.. its worth $50 haha..

I think I may be past the worst but its still going to take a lot of dedication to make this happen. Thanks again to everyone who had something to contribute.

The real test came when I found a fifty (baggie with $50 of weed in it) I must have misplaced or stashed in the car lol. I managed to resist, and didn't open or smoke it. I didn't chuck it out either tho.. its worth $50 haha..

Is it worth $50 to you to be clean? If it is, flush it down the loo. I was going to tell you to burn it but then thought that might not be the best idea =D

Seriously, get rid of it. You don't need the temptation sitting there. It'll niggle at the back of your mind until it's gone, even if you're not conscious of it. And you really shouldn't be wanting to sell it to someone else who's also probably addicted and could do with not having it ;)

Is it worth $50 to you to be clean? If it is, flush it down the loo.

Or award it a prize to the person who posts the most useful comment in the thread. :)

thats a good idea director, go on guys get posting.

failing that i might sell it on silk road, im running low on bitcoins. :P

@Moph - i know your right, if I do chuck it, will be a good sign its grip is weakening.

your other comment reminded me of the simpsons episode where homer gets prescribed medical cannabis for having his eyes pecked.

and eventually... chief wiggum begins burning all the medical cannabis

Wiggum: Actually, that smoke is a little too inviting. Uh, throw on that sack of barber hair.

hey guys,

quick update, still haven't had a cone, go me :) today is days 6, tomorrow makes a week.

not much in the way of cravings any more, still no appetite tho. i am managing my usual 1 meal a day though, better than nothing.

still getting a bit crabby and random sweats and shit, but its getting milder.

I was at a mates place last night, he had about $6k worth of weed sitting there and he was smashing down cones. I didn't stick around long, as I didn't really want to, and I didn't partake at all, even when he almost tried to force it on me, didn't believe me I didn't want one, I explained and he respected.

i was kind of expecting my motivation to suddenly re-appear and my depression to magically subside but it looks like I still have my work cut out for me.

p0is(+)n

Good on you to stick to your guns even in that kind of situation. It's not a magic bullet for anything, you've still gotta work hard at motivation and all those things, but you'll get there :)

hey guys,

quick update, still haven't had a cone, go me :) today is days 6, tomorrow makes a week.

not much in the way of cravings any more, still no appetite tho. i am managing my usual 1 meal a day though, better than nothing.

still getting a bit crabby and random sweats and shit, but its getting milder.

I was at a mates place last night, he had about $6k worth of weed sitting there and he was smashing down cones. I didn't stick around long, as I didn't really want to, and I didn't partake at all, even when he almost tried to force it on me, didn't believe me I didn't want one, I explained and he respected.

i was kind of expecting my motivation to suddenly re-appear and my depression to magically subside but it looks like I still have my work cut out for me.

p0is(+)n

Good to hear you're staying strong...

Also remember- even if you do slip up, you've shown yourself now that it is possible to go without, so a slip up is not a complete failure, not unless you let it be (should it ever happen)

Best of luck :)

:-)

Aaaaaaaaah weed, how I loved it so. It is just a pitty it did not love me back. There's a lot of familiar stories in this thread.

All the best of luck in the world man, I really hope you're able to kick it. Giving up weed was a walk in the park for me compared to cigarettes. Though my one remaining vice is booze, and while I wouldn't call my self a full blown alcoholic I certainly do have a problem with it.

As for weed though, the stuff did +90 lingering mental health damage. I've known a long time what the shit would do to my state of mind, but I'd always go back to it for little bursts. Last year was the final straw. My head was already a bit under the weather with some other shit going on, but I started smoking again and it sparked off something real dark, and a depth of depression I hadn't known for a loooooooooooong time, and I felt myself become near suicidal. The scary part was I've still to this day not told anyone just how bad it got and how surprised even I was, and not only that, that I actively hid it from everyone who might have given a shit.

I ain't hiding it, I'm a little head fucked at the best of times, these days I just try to manage it by maintaining a base level of exercise on my bike.

As a few others have said, diet and exercise will make a HUGE difference to how you cope with quitting, your sleep, how you feel, and your energy. Body and mind are one man, fuck with one and you fuck with the other. The only way I was able to quit the smokes was to go on a real big health kick so that the idea of smoking repulsed me. But I had something I was training for on the bike. Having a goal to train for and focus on really helps.

Any how bro best of luck to you, I really hope you make it stick :-)