your safest stores are MSY, Umart, PCCG, Megaware some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Yep, pretty disappointed with my 7970 purchase for $569 when I saw the price and performance of the GTX670.

Ohwell.

Overclocked for overclocked the 7970 is still a tad faster. Given the small price differential, is isn't too bad TBH.

gtx670 sure is a beasty little card for most people who game at 1920 using less power than gtx560ti but more than 7950

Yep, pretty disappointed with my 7970 purchase for $569 when I saw the price and performance of the GTX670.

Ohwell.

That's the way of the world...

Why? the 7970 is a better card. Will run higher resolutions and overclockes better on average.

The 7970 does use more power to be fair, but it's still not a bad card by any stretch.

I know for my U2711 the 7970 is a better choice than the GTX 670.

I would have gone for two GTX 680, but the price gap is not worth it in Australia.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 SLI

Really no reason to order GTX690 now. Get these in SLI it will be better.

7900 series AMD card will o/c better and might run better at higher res.

Not sure what to replace my GTX480 with now.

What the flip!

Yeah 690 and 680s in SLI are almost a waste of money now. Wow.

@2SHY - Yeah with a 30" monitor, I'd be looking at the AMD cards. Unless you wait for a partner version with more memory on it.

Why? the 7970 is a better card. Will run higher resolutions and overclockes better on average.

The 7970 does use more power to be fair, but it's still not a bad card by any stretch.

I would have gone for two GTX 680, but the price gap is not worth it in Australia.

Posted Image

http://tribalinsight.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/i-want-to-believe.jpg

pretty much my thoughts, GTX670 now the best bang for buck on the market.

unless your one of 0.001% of people who have monitors with a bigger than 2560x1600 resolution.

That's if you don't want to OC......and if there's stock, it is nvidia after all.

I don't think the 7970 is better value really, perhaps it's even under full overclocks. But the 7970 is still a tad faster than the '670 given overcocking.

That having been said, it's gonna be a pretty 'green' year or so, Kepler is just better than GCN.

Edited by philo-sofa

That's if you don't want to OC......and if there's stock, it is nvidia after all.

lol wut?

are you disagreeing with me then agreeing?

I don't think the 7970 is better value really, perhaps it's even under full overclocks. But the 7970 is still a tad faster than the '670 given overcocking.

That having been said, it's gonna be a pretty 'green' year or so, Kepler is just better than GCN.

at the current au prices $479 vs $508 i think the 7970 is still worth the extra but if they were at there rrp $399 vs $479 gtx670 really is better value so we just need to wait for stock to improve prices to settle and unless amd drops prices again nvidia will have a clear winner with value for money

it will be interesting to see how the gtx660 does

How can a card be better value when it's not readily available? :-P

I just wish AMD and/or Nvidia would introduce a card between the HD 7770 and HD 7850. There is a massive gap between those two, and that's the area I'd like to buy a card

Edited by nobody813

See my edit? "readily"

What I mean by readily available is that one can go into a store and easily purchase a card, without being restricted by brand or stock levels

The HD 7000 cards are like this, but most GTX 600 cards are not at this stage yet. Take PC Case Gear's stock levels; only 2 out of 6 cards that are listed are available, and one of those (Inno3d) says this: "Maximum 2 per customer". That is not being readily available

So yeah, on paper the GTX 670 is an awesome card, and will be very popular once it's readily available

Edited by nobody813

Sorry ill write *sarcasm* next time so you can see ;D Oh and about the availability of the gtx 680, have you been to an msy lately? =/ I think you should go and not just show their pdf link. As for me im not someone to order online, I like to go in store and buy it (just personal preference) and NOONE has the card instore currently atm.

The ETA keeps changing because nvidia cant deliver according to the consumers demands. I think the successful amount of manufactured gtx 680s was something like 40%? But that could also be why everywhere else in the world if also lacking these cards. Maybe and hopefully the gtx 670 will see a better launch.

Sorry ill write *sarcasm* next time so you can see ;D Oh and about the availability of the gtx 680, have you been to an msy lately? =/ I think you should go and not just show their pdf link. As for me im not someone to order online, I like to go in store and buy it (just personal preference) and NOONE has the card instore currently atm.

The ETA keeps changing because nvidia cant deliver according to the consumers demands. I think the successful amount of manufactured gtx 680s was something like 40%? But that could also be why everywhere else in the world if also lacking these cards. Maybe and hopefully the gtx 670 will see a better launch.

The supply problem is 3 fold, one the cards are slightly better than the AMD's offerings and two TSMC is having trouble supplying both AMD and Nvidia 28nm wafers and 3 when something just releases you can't expect massive levels of stock cause that would be a waste of time in stockpiling it whereas they could have a partial launch and people queuing up to buy said product.

I think it unrealistic to expect massive amounts of stock regardless of company for launch of a really good product, wasn't it like 3 weeks before stock for the 7970 started filtering down for example?

GTC 2012 Part 1: NVIDIA Announces GK104 Based Tesla K10, GK110 Based Tesla K20

GK110 Packs 2880 CUDA Cores, 384-bit Memory Interface: Die-Shot

With its competition checked thanks to good performance by its GK104 silicon, NVIDIA was bold enough to release die-shots of its GK110 silicon, which made its market entry as the Tesla K20 GPU-compute accelerator. This opened flood-gates of speculation surrounding minute details of the new chip, from various sources. We found one of these most plausible, by Beyond3D community member "fellix". The source of the image appears to have charted out component layout of the chip by some pattern recognition and educated guesswork.

It identifies the the 7.1 billion transistor GK110 silicon to have 15 streaming multiprocessors (SMX). A little earlier this week, sources close to NVIDIA confirmed the SMX count to TechPowerUp. NVIDIA revealed that the chip will retain the SMX design of GK104, in which each of these holds 192 CUDA cores. Going by that, GK110 has a total of 2880 cores. Blocks of SMX units surround a centrally-located command processor, along with six setup pipelines, and a portion holding the ROPs and memory controllers. There are a total of six GDDR5 PHYs, which could amount to a 384-bit wide memory interface. The chip talks to the rest of the system over PCI-Express 3.0.

Posted Image

Edited by nobody813

Got my GTX 670 today. Just reinstalled windows 7 and updates. Downloading a few games, 3dmarks, and Heaven. Early numbers before OC on the memory are:

Without any tweaks to power or OC, the cards core goes up to 1025mhz and the memory is 3105mhz in EVGA scanner stress test with heavy mode enabled.

Without any tweaks to power or OC, the cards core goes up to 1150mhz and memory is still 3105mhz for Heaven 3.0 with everything maxed.

Temp with custom power band goes up to 66c with the fan speed matching temp of 66%.

Power boost set to 122% (highest):

Heaven crashes at 1250mhz halfway thru the bench without any notable artifacts(gpu offset 100mhz). Heaven passed 1228mhz (offset 75mhz). So somewhere in between is the sweet spot! Temp matching speed got up to 69c. GPU TDP got up to 107%.

EVGA Scanner stress test with heavy mode (gpu offset of 100mhz) clocks the gpu to 1250mhz at first then drops to 1215mhz. TDP goes up to 129%! Temp is around 70c. So, you can see how it is downclocking itself. Strange that Heaven failed at gpu offset of 100mhz but it was really running 1250mhz and not scaling down. Something to investigate! But need to stop for now after all day of messing with windows, downloads, and tweaking settings.

More to come!