As much as I agree you with that that seems weird Mark (and think the midrange won't beath the 7970)... I dunno, we've been pretty much able to tell about the relative strengths of each vendro's card at this point in time over the last, what five generations? I think yeah, Nvidia will win. Put it down to a hungriness/complacency cycle or AMD having to move to a more compute-based approach, but the specs really do scream 'over 9000?!??!?' on Nvidia's part. Perhaps they won't be much above in performance per $ or per watt, but I do believe they'll handily have the fastest cards this gen.

EDIT: sorry came home from Big Day Out drunk, just re-read and realise we essentially agree completely lawl :D

Edited by philo-sofa

haha read your 1st paragraph and was like 'so what are we disagreeing on?' lol

The question I think will be whether the GTX 660 or what ever it's called can beat the HD7950.

GK104 pricing leaked out $299

We hear that Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) has sent out Kepler pricing to AIBs in the far east, or will once the New Year party dies down. A few green-tinged moles, we think it’s the New Year’s celebratory hair dye, tell SemiAccurate that the initial Kepler/GK104 cards will be priced around the $299 mark. This should tell you quite a bit about how large the silicon is, but not necessarily what it will be marketed as.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/23/exclusi...gk104-price-is/

hope this is true, if it performs around a HD7950 it will give the kick in the teeth it deserves for pricing the HD79x0 so high.

Edited by nesquick

pre overclcoked gtx560 ti were able to beat gtx580 in a select few game benchmarks then in a select few others gtx580 was twice as quick

i wouldnt be surprised if this card was a little hit and miss like the 560ti perhaps beating gtx580 in a few more tests than a 560ti oc and not falling so far behind in others

but at $300 that is a good deal cheaper than the rrp of 7950 ~$400 which looks like it will perform around gtx580 so it will be interesting to see what we get and what improvements nvidia has made to efficiency

Edited by Dasa

The difference here is still that the 7950 is out on the market very soon, while no one even knows anything about the GTX 660 for certain, let alone a launch date. After we find out the launch date, add a month for Australian stock in any real sort of numbers, then add two months for prices to drop. I still see AMD 7970/50 being the card of choice in Australia, their prices will normalise faster than Nvidia.

The difference here is still that the 7950 is out on the market very soon, while no one even knows anything about the GTX 660 for certain, let alone a launch date. After we find out the launch date, add a month for Australian stock in any real sort of numbers, then add two months for prices to drop. I still see AMD 7970/50 being the card of choice in Australia, their prices will normalise faster than Nvidia.

No one knows anything because Nvidia is doing a hard launch, AMD did a paper launch, all well and good to release a product but if no one can buy it...

No one knows anything because Nvidia is doing a hard launch, AMD did a paper launch, all well and good to release a product but if no one can buy it...

people can buy it

although some countries importers are running a very high profit margin due to limited stock this is fairly normal for a new gpu on a new process from either brand

nvidia hard launches often run out of stock soon after launch as well

the paper launch just meant that we got to see reviews a little sooner imo the only thing wrong with that is they get maybe a month less time to tweak drivers before the reviews are done

before the gtx480 there was rumours from right after the 5870 launch that it was only a month away and a month turned into 6

luckily it turned out gtx480 was worth the wait :)

Edited by Dasa

Maybe I'll buy a lower AMD to tie me over for a year or so and get a mid range when the next nVidias release.

people can buy it

I never said they couldn't

not atm at least, there was like 4 weeks of nothing.

i thought they made it fairly clear that they were going to release reviews december and that stock would be available in jan which is what happened i dont see anything wrong with this

but then maybe i read to much into what you were saying and all you said is that we wont know what nvidia is up to until we have the card whether thats next month or 6 months from now :)

Would much rather a paper launch that lets people know what the product is and what is is capable of while the stock becomes available, than not sharing any details at all.

I assume the above $299 is USD pricing? If ATI prices are anything to go by, add $100-150 for Aus pricing then, despite our stronger dollar :(

Edited by p0is(+)n

i thought they made it fairly clear that they were going to release reviews december and that stock would be available in jan which is what happened i dont see anything wrong with this

but then maybe i read to much into what you were saying and all you said is that we wont know what nvidia is up to until we have the card whether thats next month or 6 months from now :)

yea I just remember reading they want to launch with massive availability and so the delay although apparently minor could be warranted.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25844-fu...lineup-revealed

Three cores, seven cards

Nvidia Kepler specs are finally out, thanks to a leak dug up by Lenzfire. We already spoke about some upcoming cards, but the leaked chards now paint a more or less full picture of Nvidia’s upcoming architecture.

The Kepler series will consist of three cores, which will be the building blocks for seven cards, including a dual-GPU card.

The GK106 is a mainstream part and it will power the GTX 640 and GTX 650. The GTX 640 packs 192 stream processors, 16 ROPs, 128-bit memory bus and a memory bandwidth of 88GB/s. The GTX 650 promises to deliver quite a bit more performance, as it has 256 cores and a 192-bit memory bus, enough for 132GB/s worth of memory bandwidth. Interestingly, the GTX 640 will feature 2GB of memory, while the GTX 650 will end up with 1.5GB. The clocks are 850MHz and 900MHz respectively. In terms of performance, Nvidia reckons the new cards will be on par with GTX 550Ti and GTX 560 cards. The price points for GK106 series cards are $139 for the 640 and $179 for the GTX 650

The GK104 will probably be the card of choice for most consumers. This mid range part will also come in two flavours, the GTX 560Ti with a 224-bit bus and the GTX 660 with a 256-bit bus. The GTX 560Ti ends up with 448 cores, 850MHz clock and 154GB/s of bandwidth. It will pack a rather awkward 1.75GB of memory and the price stands at $249. The GTX 660 will feature 2GB of memory and a 900MHz clock, but it will also be significantly pricier at $319. However, Nvidia expects the latter to match the GTX 580 in the performance department, so the price looks pretty good. The GTX 560Ti should be neck and neck with the GTX 570, which sounds pretty good for $249.

As for the big guns, the GK110 will end up in four cards, including the dual-GPU GTX 690. It will cost a whopping $999 and it will launch in Q3, so let’s focus on single GPU cards for the time being. The GTX 660Ti is said to feature an 850MHz clock, 768 stream processors, 1.5GB of memory and a 384-bit bus. It should cost €399 when it launches in Q2/Q3 and Nvidia claims it will be about 10 percent faster than the HD 7950. The GTX 670 ends up with 1.75GB of memory, 896 cores and a 448-bit bus, all for $499. Nvidia pits this one against the HD 7970 and it claims it is about 20 percent faster. The flagship GTX 680 packs 2GB of memory, 1024 cores and a 512-bit bus. Nvidia wants $649 for it, but then again it claims the GTX 680 should beat the GTX 7970 by 45 percent.

Too optimistic? Well only time will tell. The GTX 670 and GTX 680, along with the GTX 660 should launch on April 12, giving AMD a comfortable lead in the meantime. Of course, in-house performance projections should always be taken with a grain of salt, but at this point it seems AMD will lose the performance crown come April. However, with some price cuts AMD should be able to compete with Kepler in terms of value for money. Also, bear in mind that AMD will also introduce its dual-GPU card in early Q2.

Original sauce

Posted Image

Posted Image

For comparison.

HD7970:

die size = 352mm2 (or 365, not sure what source is correct)

transistors = 4.313 billion

Edited by mark84

Well that comes as no surprise. Everyone knew that nVidia would kick the shit this round. I wonder if AMD will release a suped-up 7890 or something to compete more on the single card front?

Those mid\lower end cards look amazing if the performance figures are correct.

Edited by UberPenguin

hopefully i have a job when these get released lol dont want to be stuck with the 8800gts too long!

its not all bad, I only use a HD6470m now.

The GK104 will probably be the card of choice for most consumers. This mid range part will also come in two flavours, the GTX 560Ti with a 224-bit bus and the GTX 660 with a 256-bit bus. The GTX 560Ti ends up with 448 cores, 850MHz clock and 154GB/s of bandwidth. It will pack a rather awkward 1.75GB of memory and the price stands at $249. The GTX 660 will feature 2GB of memory and a 900MHz clock, but it will also be significantly pricier at $319. However, Nvidia expects the latter to match the GTX 580 in the performance department, so the price looks pretty good. The GTX 560Ti should be neck and neck with the GTX 570, which sounds pretty good for $249.

They keep using GTX 560 Ti, when it should be GTX 650 Ti

I wouldn't trust this marketing piece as far as you could throw it. Again, "leaked' information with nothing concrete. No Nvidia water marked slides, no Nvidia screen shots or emails / documents, nothing at all to trace any of the information back to Nvidia. If the cards are so good, and Nvidia are happy with results, why wait until April? Yield or stock issues? Which points to a paper launch and high prices due to low stock.

I have no doubt Nvidia will take the performance crown, at this point it would be embarrassing if they didn't. You can't launch a card 6 months later than your competition and fall short, that is something AMD do with CPU's and it clearly doesn't help their cause.

Obviously if you have a decent enough video card at the moment there is no harm in waiting it out, but I wouldn't hold off from buying a 7950 or 7970 at the moment if I needed to upgrade.

Another thing I've noticed; they're using the same strategy as what they did with the GTX 295. It has the top core, but mated with the 2nd top cards memory system. Notice the total memory and bus width

good to see some information, although not taking anything too seriously.

gtx680 = ~45%>7970? the guestimate may be accurate enough.

with 6.4B transistors is it going to be ~50% bigger than the 7970 which has 4.3B. If so, wouldn't we expect 50% or greater performance improvement?

(550mm die size vs 350mm approx) but this also probably means higher power consumption and more heat. same problems as the gtx580 has.

i only have a basic understand of how this kind of shit works.

edit: realistically i would expect about 15% increase over 7970 at most. however it will depend how well the 680's OC as to which is the true winner. The 7970s clock up very very nicely.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Looks pretty sweet if this is legit. I can wait until April to upgrade my GTX 260. Hopefully the pricing won't be too bad.

Edited by Sherman