Yeah, double the cores, giant clockspeed bumps and architectural changes could actually see a ~100% increase in performance. Though ironically if those slides are genuine I'd guess a ~75% increase as Nvidia always over-talk their speed increases at this point in time.

If it is a 100% increase WOOT just come out before April so I can get either a 7970 for cheap or an Nvidia card whatever is the best bang for buck at the time. Even 75% increase is ridiculous with console ports these days won't need to upgrade for ages hopefully =D yay for technology jumping forward in speed again because of an architecture change, so much for Moore's Law ending because transistors can't get any smaller.

with the next generation of consoles the ports coming out will take a giant leap forward though and become quite taxing on peoples systems no doubt.

with the next generation of consoles the ports coming out will take a giant leap forward though and become quite taxing on peoples systems no doubt.

Agreed. Next-gen consoles look to have the processing power of today's mainstream PC's

The only reason games are taxing on computer hardware/systems because the code hasn't been optimised very well. The problem with that argument though is you could play say Battlefield 3 on a Commodore 64 if it was optimised well enough.

2gb ram, part must be 256bit bus then or 512bit (which I seriously doubt they even need anymore) so I am going to assume its the mid range offering probably like 2 GTX560TI cores fused into one on 28nm or something along those lines.

at a guess 800~892cores

Edited by nesquick

Wasn't there always plans for die shrunk Femi?

I can't see Nvidia going "oh shit AMD has a nice card, let's redesign a chip, manufacture and ship it within a month because we're so surprised!"

If it's true the 680 is coming shortly, it has been a plan for a while, also why not die shrink Fermi??? I can't think of a reason not to

afaik kepler has been in the works since before Fermi was even released, launch was meant to be march-april but it couldn't be that hard to bring it forward, even if it was a paper launch nvidia holds the market share (with good reason) and it would stop prospective buyers of the 7970.

Like everyone else here I've been trying to reason this through, the only alternatives I can see are an up-clocked GTX 580 (a-la the 9800 GTX) or some kind of dual-GF-104 card like the evga 2-win.

^^ it's definitely possible, but I'd view that as pretty unlikely, given the amount of work needed to move a given topology to a new process. Still, quite possible yeah especially if Nvidia were planning to play the same game as AMD and their VLIW5 7000 series chips.

Edited by philo-sofa

I'm looking at upgrading GPU at the moment and was deciding between the 7970 and GTX580 3GB, but if Nvidia are bringing out new cards in Feb/March, I think I'll hold off. What do you guys reckon?

I'm looking at upgrading GPU at the moment and was deciding between the 7970 and GTX580 3GB, but if Nvidia are bringing out new cards in Feb/March, I think I'll hold off. What do you guys reckon?

7970 vs gtx580 is a easy choice imo especially once it drops nearer to its rrp

as for what nvidia is bringing out next or when it will be who knows but i guess it depends how happy you are with what you have for now

as for what nvidia is bringing out next or when it will be who knows but i guess it depends how happy you are with what you have for now

My GTX260 will do me for another couple of moths, so that's no problem. As for 580 vs 7970, the current price on PC Case Gear makes the 580 much better bang for buck (ironic, but true), but the 7970 is the better card... So I was a bit unsure there.

It looks like waiting is the way to go though.

My GTX260 will do me for another couple of moths, so that's no problem. As for 580 vs 7970, the current price on PC Case Gear makes the 580 much better bang for buck (ironic, but true), but the 7970 is the better card... So I was a bit unsure there.

It looks like waiting is the way to go though.

yep wait a little longer, GTX260 will still play games for you for a fe wmore months

Looking at it, this is a huge step forward for AMD, technologically. It'd be quite hard to also move forward in performance heaps too

It's their first effort with a new architecture, so I guess it makes sense for Nvidia to be able to get ahead

I can't imagine the mid range card beating the HD7970. Surely not. Compute wise I guess I could understand it getting close but I doubt beat it.

Nvidias high end version though for sure will beat it.