Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Twinkie

Help a dude purchase his new phone.

What's the process like for getting the phone started for the first time and etc? You put in battery and start charging? My capped internet took 3 hours to download 1.35mb of the Nexus S manual.

Just not that sure... I really wanna start playing around with it.

You're confusing Galaxy S with Galaxy Nexus.

I do that ALL the time. It's seriously annoying.

These days most caps have free facebook access right?

I dunno how much value that adds, I've been a relatively heavy user of Facebizzle and find it hard to rack up over 1MB of data usage a day when checking it while commuting in on the train.

Doesn't matter if I leave the charging for the whole night does it?

Nope, they're designed to stop charging when they reach capacity. Actually I try to charge the device to full first time, then let it discharge all the way to 0% if possible (or whatever the device's lowest is before auto shutdown), then charge all the way up. After then I use as normal. Dunno if it's the best practice but I think it's worthwhile giving the OS the best chance at knowing when it's at full/low batt.

Nope, they're designed to stop charging when they reach capacity. Actually I try to charge the device to full first time, then let it discharge all the way to 0% if possible (or whatever the device's lowest is before auto shutdown), then charge all the way up. After then I use as normal. Dunno if it's the best practice but I think it's worthwhile giving the OS the best chance at knowing when it's at full/low batt.

Yeah they do say to do that, when I got my Galaxy S2, the dude at telsuck told me that it came fully charged, then he mentioned letting it run flat before charging.

Could all just be bullshit though, I'm sure it can tell how much battery is left fairly accurately these days. Maybe it was true back in the day when battery technology was primitive and expensive, but now they pretty much know what they're doing.

Dunno, it's just one of those things I do. A tech habit that's hard to break. Once the inital warmup's done I just charge it whenever I want it to be at 100% for whatever reason, going out or whatever.

Not really, the phone will shut itself down before the battery is completely depleted.

if its like hibernate on a laptop then it might be ok, I personally wouldn't do it.

pretty sure you will cause irreversible damage to Li-ion/poly batteries doing that.

I remember reading from somewhere that if you don't charge the phone's battery when its at it's low it will shorten the battery life span and cause damage...

Also I'm just wondering is there any specific sort of file I can find on my old phone that has the contact list so that I can just import it and store it via USB on the new one?

Never mind I just imported the contacts via SIM. It's. cool accessing this place on my new phone. :)

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Know any good places to buy a good case for it? Any tips on how to take good care of it?

Yeah, finding Nexus S cases can be a pain...

The Nexus S comes in different models with some being slightly bigger than the others (so check your exact model number)

Personally, I found a Nexus S flip leather case at EasyTone in Melbourne... I like it because the entire phone is enclosed when not being used.

My best suggestion would be to visit EBay or random phone accessory shops because I have not found them at any mainstream shops.

Yeah I bought the leather one but had a sinking feeling about whether there were better ones out there.

Should I also get a screen protector for it?

Yeah I bought the leather one but had a sinking feeling about whether there were better ones out there.

Should I also get a screen protector for it?

The leather flip covers are always the best imo... my only gripe is that the front cover hangs down when using the phone. I still think it is worth the extra protection though.

Yes, screen protectors are a must... jump online and have a look. Get Nexus S specific ones because the universal screen protectors are usually rubbish.

Any chance for a solid physical outlet for the screen protector?

I know that a few of my local phone repair places also fit screen protectors, check out a place like that maybe? Most of them seem to be asian owned, selling imported cases and shit like that.

Any chance for a solid physical outlet for the screen protector?

I know that a few of my local phone repair places also fit screen protectors, check out a place like that maybe? Most of them seem to be asian owned, selling imported cases and shit like that.

A special screen cover/replacement seems a bit over the top for a $300 phone.

Screen protectors (the normal plastic stickon ones) should be more than enough unless you're extremely rough with your devices.