Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Twinkie

Help a dude purchase his new phone.

I'm looking for a phone for around 200 bucks. I won't be doing no plan.

I won't be calling people all day everyday like a socialite as I'll be only be settling to a 20-30 dollar cap. I would just like a good for value, well packed and decent phone that can last me a couple years. A decent camera is a desire but a small one.

I'm also wondering which Telco provider does the best deals for someone that would would be doing prepaid.

Here's one I found earlier Samsung Galaxy Gio

However I really have no idea about the mobile phone market these days and I plan to make this purchase last so I really don't wanna get this wrong like last time. The last phone I had a horrible problem of not receiving some incoming calls. You won't even get a missed call or vociemail or anything from it.

I really wanna make this right and I hope you can be part of this grand endeavor.

So any suggestions?

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Personally I'd be looking for a Nexus S. They're closer to $300 though, but if you keep an eye on OZBargain, they've been known to drop in price. The Nexus S is the cheapest official Android 4.0 device you can get.

Optus prepaid Turbo Cap shits on any other plan available.

I wouldn't touch TPG for mobile.

eBay.

Got my HTC Trophy a few months ago for $250. Crappy camera, but otherwise great smartphone.

Nexus S and Galaxy S would be the way to go for Android. Good handsets with great software support.

If you're after "just a phone", Nokia S40 handsets are still the way to go for battery life, reception, build quality, functionality, connectivity. C3-01 or Asha 300 would be my recommendations.

What do you mean by "make this purchase last"? Do your phones just break physically? What was your last phone?

What do you mean by "make this purchase last"? Do your phones just break physically? What was your last phone?

I would just like a good quality capable phone that will last me 2 years. I don't find it worthwhile to upgrade my phone every year like my friends do but at this time of my life; all I need is a good solid phone. Doesn't mean I want just a phone though. I would like the best possible phone I could get in a <$300 zone.

The last one I had was a Sony Ericsson T707. I had a silly, juvenile fetish for flip phones cause I thought they looked cool and smart on the movies and what I got was a dodgy phone that had it's outer coating peeling away in the first few months along with a horrible worry of not knowing whether you missed a call or not cause you just might not receive it!

The Nexus S looks very nice.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

To be honest I am an apple guy - I would say go apple, take your $200 bucks and start some sort of contract with a good deal at any phone company!! That is my advice! But, if you are set on your decision, just grab some HTC or Blackberry off ebay and just use that - you can find some pretty sweet stuff on ebay if you go about it the right way!!

Plus those phones second hand are pretty damn cheap! Good luck!

To be honest I am an apple guy - I would say go apple, take your $200 bucks and start some sort of contract with a good deal at any phone company!!

He isn't a heavy user, so there's absolutely no point entering a contract. My advice is to spend a little extra for a Nexus S + TPG PAYG plan. You rarely score a bargain on eBay when it comes to popular devices like phones.

Im in the same boat atm to, can't decide if I want to buy one thats like ~$600 (looking at the galaxy S2 or xperia arc) or paying $2-300 for something like the glaxy ace or HTC incredible S on optus prepaid and go for that dollar days pre paid plan (unlimited calls, text and data).

was also looking at TPG but afaik TPG is only good until you need tech support then it becomes a nightmare.

To be honest I am an apple guy - I would say go apple, take your $200 bucks and start some sort of contract with a good deal at any phone company!!

He isn't a heavy user, so there's absolutely no point entering a contract. My advice is to spend a little extra for a Nexus S + TPG PAYG plan. You rarely score a bargain on eBay when it comes to popular devices like phones.

Perhaps he isn´t a heavy user because he hasn´t used an iphone/smartphone for a sustained period of time? I wasn´t a heavy user until I realised that my phone could do so much, maybe he is an ipod guy, great it has that, as well as loads of other things. I couldn´t go back now...no way!

With the other phones mentioned, my brother picked up a blackberry for $60 on eBay! Not the newest of models but it did pretty much all the same stuff!!

What are you using?

I really don't wanna go down the ebay road. Feels kinda mischievous and dodgy.

I will plan to get an iPhone sometime in the future but just now now unless you can find one for around 200 bucks.

My current phone is this.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

IS there any sort of good place here in Sydney that sells just the barebone phone?

I'm also wondering I could get the phone in one telco but get the SIM/Prepaid cap in another. How much trouble will that be?

I can transfer my current phone number to a new SIM right? Is the process troublesome?

Has been tried the Motorola Defy?

I was just considering my options and this phone seems pretty fascinating give that it's from Motorola. But not sure Motorola prowess....

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Perhaps he isn´t a heavy user because he hasn´t used an iphone/smartphone for a sustained period of time? I wasn´t a heavy user until I realised that my phone could do so much, maybe he is an ipod guy, great it has that, as well as loads of other things. I couldn´t go back now...no way!

With the other phones mentioned, my brother picked up a blackberry for $60 on eBay! Not the newest of models but it did pretty much all the same stuff!!

What are you using?

The PAYG (and other TPG plans) don't require a contract, so he can freely move up or down without financial penalty.

I'm using a Meizu M9.

Optus prepaid Turbo Cap shits on any other plan available.

I wouldn't touch TPG for mobile.

Why? They use optus towers.

$17 a month for a pretty hefty plan.

I was going to post this last night but was to tired so went to bed.

DSE is selling the nexus S (which is vodaphone branded but by all accounts unlocked) for $299 http://dicksmith.com.au/product/EM5029/vod...id-v2-3-prepaid

Yeah i found that last night as well.

Really considering it but I hate the warranty process for Dick Smith.

I have a Nexus S from DSE with no problems (using Telstra prepaid sim). Personally, I'd go straight to Samsung rather than DSE for warranties.

Great phone, I really do recommend getting it rather than a $100 or $200 phone. You would probably keep the Nexus S longer than some of the cheaper phones kicking around as well.

My only gripe is that the Nexus S battery seems to last me a day before needing a charge (and I don't even use it that heavily).

Contracts might be better value for some but I don't ring anyone and only use it to send 1cent texts or receive calls.

Edited by sm1ddy

My only gripe is that the Nexus S battery seems to last me a day before needing a charge (and I don't even use it that heavily).

That's just how smartphones are. Unless you get something like the Droid Razr Maxx which has a 3300mAh battery.

OK sounds like Samsung Nexus S will be the phone to go then.

How about the prepaid cap? Will TPG and Optus be the only candidates? I have a virgin mobile sim at the moment. :/

How would I set up a cap with TPG? Do I go online to do it cause I don't see in stores.

That's just how smartphones are. Unless you get something like the Droid Razr Maxx which has a 3300mAh battery.

Fair enough. :)

My previous phone was a Nokia E63 (which as a simpler smart phone lasted ages) so my perception on battery life is probably a bit skewed.

OK sounds like Samsung Nexus S will be the phone to go then.

How about the prepaid cap? Will TPG and Optus be the only candidates? I have a virgin mobile sim at the moment. :/

How would I set up a cap with TPG? Do I go online to do it cause I don't see in stores.

The Nexus S is awesome running ics because you can also limit mobile data on apps. I'm not sure on the sim prepaids though because I only use wifi access points.

Edited by sm1ddy

Fair enough. :)

My previous phone was a Nokia E63 (which as a simpler smart phone lasted ages) so my perception on battery life is probably a bit skewed.

I am in the same boat, my current phone despite being like 2 years old gets like 3-4 days use, I want to get a smartphone but to me theres nothing smart about a phone that can't even last a full day/just barely make a full day.

Nexus S for $299 WTF wow they are getting scammed in America then...Well from what I can remember they are costs them something like $700 for the Nexus S...O_O and from what I've also read it is Samsung Galaxy S II competition worthy so for $299 that is brilliant.

Nexus S for $299 WTF wow they are getting scammed in America then...Well from what I can remember they are costs them something like $700 for the Nexus S...O_O and from what I've also read it is Samsung Galaxy S II competition worthy so for $299 that is brilliant.

You're confusing Galaxy S with Galaxy Nexus.