Sign in to follow this  
BoringName

Transferring Win7 to new SSD

G'day peoples,

I've recently purchased a new SSD to use as a boot drive. I've had a look around and most seem to recommend acronis true image (2012) to do the job. The free version doesn't allow for cloning.

I'm looking to just copy the windows folder (and system reserved to make the drive bootable) as the drive is only 60GB. All the other free software seems to be an all or nothing copy.

Do you know of any (free) software that I should use?

Cheers

G'day peoples,

I've recently purchased a new SSD to use as a boot drive. I've had a look around and most seem to recommend acronis true image (2012) to do the job. The free version doesn't allow for cloning.

I'm looking to just copy the windows folder (and system reserved to make the drive bootable) as the drive is only 60GB. All the other free software seems to be an all or nothing copy.

Do you know of any (free) software that I should use?

Cheers

why not just do a fresh install on the drive?

i was in your position a few months ago.

opted for the fresh install instead. if you do, do a fresh install make sure you clean up the old system files.

Hi BoringName (I think that's actually quite exciting!),

I had tried using this guide. However, a word of caution, even I followed his 'easy' way to installing an SSD to an already installed Win7, I was unable to get the thing going. I used the software recommended (Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0), but because I was unsuccessful, I have done something wrong and now my computer has slowed down when booting in (post-password).

The part where he discusses the aforementioned program is in the 'The OS Transfer' heading of that long, first post. They are a legit company (I think the program set me back some $20), but support is practically non-existent. And their forums (wilderssecurity) even less so... It may work for you as it has for other people, but it didn't work for me. It may best to do a fresh install as alexdtree has suggested.

Hey guys, gals.... or super intelligent feline quadropeds (just covering all bases).

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about a complete reinstall, but put it on the maybe list considering that I'd have to reapply all the updates, not to mention my windows disk growing a very capable set of legs and becoming the hide and seek champion of 2011.

I read through the guide you suggested Bodie, and whilst being familiar with computers, it seems like a whole lot that could go wrong, and if I end up with the slow booting time aswell, it negates any and all reason for buying the SSD in the first place.

i would recommend a fresh install, and then once its all setup, you can make an image of your fresh install (with basic apps like your browser) you can recover to at any time.

if you can't find your windows cd, download one. thats not illegal afaik, only stealing the license is.

microsoft will usually even send you a free replacement if you take the trouble to ask :)

Hey guys, gals.... or super intelligent feline quadropeds (just covering all bases).

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about a complete reinstall, but put it on the maybe list considering that I'd have to reapply all the updates, not to mention my windows disk growing a very capable set of legs and becoming the hide and seek champion of 2011.

I read through the guide you suggested Bodie, and whilst being familiar with computers, it seems like a whole lot that could go wrong, and if I end up with the slow booting time aswell, it negates any and all reason for buying the SSD in the first place.

I haven't ben able to put the SSD on this rig, yet. :( It will be put in once I give this computer to my brother (fresh install etc.). Merely suggesting if it's the path you want to take; Good luck with it all! :)

on a tangent i did a fresh install of windows when i got an SSD now i have redundant windows files on my old hard drive but i dont wanna delete them in fear of deleting critical files any way i can make sure i dont screw things up?

on a tangent i did a fresh install of windows when i got an SSD now i have redundant windows files on my old hard drive but i dont wanna delete them in fear of deleting critical files any way i can make sure i dont screw things up?

unplug everything but the SSD. see if it boots into windows successfully.

if it does, delete whatever you want :)

Edited by p0is(+)n

I'm going with the reinstall method. I managed to find my DVD in the end, but to my luck it was an upgrade (for win vista) disk only. To (hopefully) enlighten people, I called up microsoft and asked them about it. I was told that I would be able to install win7 from that disk on the new hard drive, just not to put in a product ID call and to call microsoft to activate.

I'm still yet to do it (stupid work getting in the way), so I'll report back in letting you all know how I go.

We did one at work, a pre-loaded windows 7, finished the install on the 500GB HDD of windows, patched etc

Defragged HDD Fully first (around 50GB used I think)

Used Hirens boot CD tools to clone the drive to the SSD

A few tools for cloning drives are there - this one XXClone sounds good.

The simple way to clone a Windows disk to another disk, it makes a self-bootable clone of Windows system disk.

Onto the SSD, removed HDD, set boot device and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Also hear good things about Clonezilla, which can be downloaded as a ISO and burnt to DVD/USB x

the biggest problem with getting a clone to work would be AHCI, I would think - it's best practice to set up SSD's in AHCI, whilst it is otherwise with normal HHD's - windows will undoubtedly have trouble booting in AHCI, whilst being currently setup 'normally'

I've switched to SSD twice now, and both times I clean installed windows rather than fuck about

the biggest problem with getting a clone to work would be AHCI, I would think - it's best practice to set up SSD's in AHCI, whilst it is otherwise with normal HHD's - windows will undoubtedly have trouble booting in AHCI, whilst being currently setup 'normally'

I've switched to SSD twice now, and both times I clean installed windows rather than fuck about

I concur. I installed windows 7 + all drivers and then also installed a few games (skyrim and bf3) three times yesterday. twice on my own pc (once i forgot to switch to ahci) and once on my housemates and in total the entire process took less than an hour ( for all 3 fresh installs ) then allow another hour or two to install whatever else you need... i really don't see the reason to fuck about with it unless your doing 10+ installs with the same image.

Edited by p0is(+)n

I agree with what p0is(+)n and OBA said. I did this when my SSD had an hiccup and caused my OS to be lost. I couldn't be fudged using an image as I have a slight worry about the transfer of images from disk to SSD.

Reinstalled and apart from an hour waiting for all the updates to be finished (not including the rebooting needed), I got my desktop back to the state it was. Unless you're doing this as a batch job, I would just reinstall and be done with it.

You can install as IDE mode and do a reg edit before restarting into AHCI, I've never had a problem.

Installing really works for me also. You just did the right thing.

Seems im in a similar boat, however i really wanted to copy my Acronis image across since there were so many apps i had setup on the original SSD. Such a pain the arse to reload it all. I love a fresh install as much as anybody and see the value in that, but i just wanted to be going again quickly. I even tried my Windows image file and it shat itself. Have a read of this post - http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=47670

Can someone please explain what advantage AHCI has over IDE?

I just installed a fresh Win 7 64 on my Intel 520 series because of all the issues i was having trying to load the clone image onto it, but i had it set to IDE. I tried the Acronis True Image method but the 520 series SSD absolutely hated it and refused to be written to. What do i need to change in registry to switch things over to AHCI? I have a handful of other drives in there too - not sure how well they will play on AHCI?

Am just now wondering what the purpose of Acronis is if it cant load my backup image to the SSD. Will i have the same problems loading the backup image in future if there is an O/S issue? (if i make a sector by sector back in this hardware config).

Can someone please explain what advantage AHCI has over IDE?

AHCI mode brings 3 main advantages:

Supports NCQ (Native Command Queuing) allowing SATA drives to accept more than one command at a time and dynamically reorder the commands for maximum efficiency.

Supports hot plugging of devices

Supports staggered spin ups of multiple hard drives at boot time

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869...ista.html?ltr=A

Download and install latest drivers from your mobo's website.

Do the registry edit.

Restart into bios, change the sata controler to AHCI mode.

Save and restart into windows. It will install new drivers and restart.

Please backup and create a system restore before doing this.