dylan6307

TP-Link tl-wn951n will not connect to network

I just bought the wireless pci card mentioned above, and for whatever reason, it will not connect to my wireless network. it will find it, but when it goes to connect, and I type in the security key, it just says it couldn't connect. thats when it even asks me for the security key, half the time it just straight up says that I cant connect.

my router is a bigpond one (thomson TG782T) and the wireless card is tl-wn951 as mentioned above.

any help would be appreciated!

thanks

First things first, reset your router (turn off the power then turn it on again) then try reconnecting with your tp-link.

Oh and did you install the drivers/software that came with it ?

Edited by bowiee

First things first, reset your router (turn off the power then turn it on again) then try reconnecting with your tp-link.

yep already done both of those

yep already done both of those

Bad, bad, bad.

Yes to the drivers, but a big fat no to the wireless connect software. You should just use the inbuilt windows software for connecting as the included wireless connect software causes horrible issues when trying to connect.

So uninstall any WLAN management software but leave the drivers installed.

Yep that's why I asked if you installed the software that came with it, as aliali says its always best to let windows handle the network connection. If you are using windows 7 uninstall the software and windows will take over, it will advise there is a network enter your password and it should just work.

So you did not install the software that came with the wireless card ? What version of windows are you running ? :)

I'm running windows 7 x86, and I installed the drivers that came with it, but there weren't any connection manager things

I'm running windows 7 x86, and I installed the drivers that came with it, but there weren't any connection manager things

Just double check that as I got caught out with TP-Links "slipstreamed" install that installed both the drivers and the WLAN software.

I would then uninstall the card in device manager, then uninstall all the TP-Link drivers and software.

Connect the PC up via wired LAN to the router, reboot and let windows find the hardware again. do not put the TP-Link CD in the optical drive

If windows asks get it to check on the net for new drivers and see if it can find standard windows ones.

If it works then do not install anything from TP-Link.

Now if that fails (either no drivers or still no connect) then get the latest drivers from http://www.tp-link.com.au/support/download...&version=V1 and install them.

If still no go hop in to your router and temporarily disable any security on the wireless.

Try connecting. If it still fails then check the wireless settings. See if there is a setting for 40Mhz spread or 20Mhz or 20/40mhz. Try a different setting to what is currently set. Save changes to the router and test.

Also make sure the Router is set to wireless G or G/B not B only.

Failing that then I would be trying a different wireless router, preferably wireless N (borrow one if you can) just to test the wireless connectivity with the TP-Link.

If still buggered then probably a faulty wireless card. Return for exchange at place of purchase (tell the shop it was DOA).

otherwise may be time to buy a new wireless N modem. Any brand will work on Bigpond, but for me the Billion 7800N is damn good, otherwise perhaps a TP-Link TD-W8960N.

If you buy another wireless N modem do not get Belkin or D-Link and keep your Thompson in the cupboard for when you have ADSL problems Bigpond are useless for support on anything but their supplied modems, and even on those they are pretty pathetic.

ok I've ended up solving the mysterious problem... it was just a lack of signal!

I first plugged our old router in next to the computer, and it connected to that one fine, so I plugged the current bigpond router in next to it, and it connected to that fine as well... so I moved the computer in next to the router, and guess what? perfect connection. I just dont understand, since it was only around 15 meters away, but through a big corner wall thing.

thanks for all the help, now to just clear a space for the computer...

I understand now, its that crappy Thompson modem/router. Take aliali's advice and scrap it and get something decent, staying away from dlink/belkin. I recommend the following in no particular order,

Billion BP7800NL Wireless N ADSL2+ Firewall Modem Rourter Internet Price: $114.00

TP-Link TD-W8960N 300m Wireless N ADSL2+/4portRouter Internet Price: $64.00 (Great product great price).

Linksys WAG120N-AU Wireless-N Home ADSL2+ Modem Router/Acc Point Internet Price: $73.60

EDIT: Fixed link.

Edited by bowiee

ok I've ended up solving the mysterious problem... it was just a lack of signal!

I first plugged our old router in next to the computer, and it connected to that one fine, so I plugged the current bigpond router in next to it, and it connected to that fine as well... so I moved the computer in next to the router, and guess what? perfect connection. I just dont understand, since it was only around 15 meters away, but through a big corner wall thing.

Ok then several possibilities. Had a quick look through the manual from http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=6978 and couldn't see any mention of wireless output power. Still log in to the modem GUI at 10.0.0.138 or 192.168.1.254 (depending on modem config)

and look through the wireless section and see if there is anything about transmit power. If so make sure it is set to 100%.

You are getting wireless channel interference.

Grab inSSIDer from http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and see what other channels are detected. Then log in to the modem as above and set the Thompson's wireless channel to something that is not in use.

The big corner wall thing or the actual house walls have a lot of metal in them (metal framed house) or the walls are double brick or solid concrete.

Or as bowiee said the Thompson has crappy wireless and attenuates too fast.

I would actually get a new wireless N modem anyway. Wireless N is superior to wireless G (all the Thompson can do) in both range and speed.

As bowiee's 7800NL link seems broken (getting a forbidden message :P) try

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=71228

Billion 7700N is also supposed to be good.

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=73003

Ok then several possibilities. Had a quick look through the manual from http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=6978 and couldn't see any mention of wireless output power. Still log in to the modem GUI at 10.0.0.138 or 192.168.1.254 (depending on modem config)

and look through the wireless section and see if there is anything about transmit power. If so make sure it is set to 100%.

You are getting wireless channel interference.

Grab inSSIDer from http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and see what other channels are detected. Then log in to the modem as above and set the Thompson's wireless channel to something that is not in use.

The big corner wall thing or the actual house walls have a lot of metal in them (metal framed house) or the walls are double brick or solid concrete.

Or as bowiee said the Thompson has crappy wireless and attenuates too fast.

I would actually get a new wireless N modem anyway. Wireless N is superior to wireless G (all the Thompson can do) in both range and speed.

As bowiee's 7800NL link seems broken (getting a forbidden message :P) try

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=71228

Billion 7700N is also supposed to be good.

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=73003

well I couldnt find anything about transmit power, and when I download inssider it gave me an error about attempting to read or write protected memory... anyway.

yeah that 7800nl link was broken for me too, but in anycase I dont really feel like spending $115 on a router, and we only have adsl, not adsl2+... but the 7700 does look good and more realistic price range for me, I'm just not sure whether they will work, since when we moved to bigpond, our old router didn't work anymore and we had to use the bigpond one

well I couldnt find anything about transmit power, and when I download inssider it gave me an error about attempting to read or write protected memory... anyway.

Try right click run as administrator. As far as transmit power goes some wireless routers have this, some don't.

:P

I'm just not sure whether they will work, since when we moved to bigpond, our old router didn't work anymore and we had to use the bigpond one.

Any standard router approved for Australia will work with Bigpond, but you must log in to it and change the ADSL account login details for your new connection.

Exceptions to this are some of the ISP supplied ones that will only let you enter an account name ending in the ISPs domain name because they have custom firmwares installed.

Eg some Bigpond supplied modems will only accept loginname@bigpond.com. If you try to enter anything else it overwrites the @otherisp.com with @bigpond.com. Think Optus do or did this on some modems, but not sure with any other ISP.

You can often find instructions on how to "unlock" these ISP locked modems by searching the net and especially looking on Whirlpool.

I have set up Belkins, Dlinks, Netcomms, TP-Links and Billions on Bigpond with no dramas. However as I said it is a good idea to keep your Thompson in the cupboard for when you have ADSL problems. Bigpond help desk is so pathetic that they will basically refuse to give any help if it is not one of "their" modems. Although I have also had the same problem with them when a customer has had an old superseded modem. Their answer was to send out a new (current) modem, at an over inflated cost of course.

Any standard router approved for Australia will work with Bigpond, but you must log in to it and change the ADSL account login details for your new connection.

Exceptions to this are some of the ISP supplied ones that will only let you enter an account name ending in the ISPs domain name because they have custom firmwares installed.

Eg some Bigpond supplied modems will only accept loginname@bigpond.com. If you try to enter anything else it overwrites the @otherisp.com with @bigpond.com. Think Optus do or did this on some modems, but not sure with any other ISP.

You can often find instructions on how to "unlock" these ISP locked modems by searching the net and especially looking on Whirlpool.

I have set up Belkins, Dlinks, Netcomms, TP-Links and Billions on Bigpond with no dramas. However as I said it is a good idea to keep your Thompson in the cupboard for when you have ADSL problems. Bigpond help desk is so pathetic that they will basically refuse to give any help if it is not one of "their" modems. Although I have also had the same problem with them when a customer has had an old superseded modem. Their answer was to send out a new (current) modem, at an over inflated cost of course.

actually, i logged into the router before and i did see something with the email and password. We are getting major renovations soon so after that I am going to suggest we but a stronger router/modem, but for now I will just put up with this crappy bigpond one.

thanks for the help

We are getting major renovations soon so after that I am going to suggest we but a stronger router/modem, but for now I will just put up with this crappy bigpond one.

thanks for the help

Dooooooooooooood, get cate5e or cat 6a wiring run in the walls while at it. Ethernet is a crapload better than wireless.

We are getting major renovations soon so after that I am going to suggest we but a stronger router/modem, but for now I will just put up with this crappy bigpond one.

thanks for the help

Dooooooooooooood, get cate5e or cat 6a wiring run in the walls while at it. Ethernet is a crapload better than wireless.

yeah, I was thinking of doing that, like schools and offices do. but how does that connect to the internet, is it just a modem with some cables running into the wall, or is it some special way to set it up?

yeah, I was thinking of doing that, like schools and offices do. but how does that connect to the internet, is it just a modem with some cables running into the wall, or is it some special way to set it up?

Cables run in the walls to back of wall plates like Posted Image

Then you hook up short patch leads between wall plate and computer/tvs/whatever. At the other end you use patch leads to hook from the wall to the modems ethernet ports.

Just talk to a licenced cabler about where you want ethernet ports and where the modem is going to be, he or she will know what to do and give you a quote.

The person that does it must be a licenced cabler (some sparkys are) but ask to see their cabling licence before you ok them doing any work. Plus at the end of the job they must give you a signed form. Also you need to make sure they test all the cabling before you sign off on the work.