Sign in to follow this  
icearcher

CPU Waterblock for 1RU Server

Hi All

I'm starting a little water cooling project to cool a few rack server, the 2RU servers are fine, there's plenty of room but the 1RU servers are being a bit of a pain to figure out.

I need a CPU water block that has the hose connectors coming out the side instead of the top or a block with right angle connectors with a total hight under about 35mm.

Also trying to keep it at 1/2inch ID but not a deal breaker.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

looks like swiftech makes some low profile blocks which are probable just what your after but these older style apogee xt blocks are very restrictive

http://www.swiftech.com/apogeelp.aspx

not sure if this would be low enough to fit but it may be a option depending on what your goals are

Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler $139

someone here was looking at doing a 1u watercooling setup and there is some info there you should find of use

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...ofile-CPU-block

a gpu block seems to be a popular suggestion but the mount may need to be modified and the barbs coming out the side of the block may foul ram slots or chipset\vrm hs depending on your mb

1/2" barbs with 7/16" id tube is what i would be aiming for but if you need to go smaller a 3/8" loop would make a barely measurable performance difference

Edited by Dasa

Thanks Dasa.

The swiftech looks like a good idea but will have to get it from the us.

Do you think a GPU waterblock would handle the heat output of a CPU and can you get adapter plates to fit them to CPUs?

they should handle the heat fine but the mounts probably wouldnt be so easy

ordering that swiftech block from the us is probably the best option

mind telling us just what your doing and what parts you are using? :)

The plan is to use a Koolance external water cooler to connect to 3-4 rack mount servers, there will most likely be a mix of 2RU and 1RU systems.

The external cooler is http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/prod...product_id=1172

We still need to figure out how to split the cooling loops between all systems.

Its only in the panning phase so far and we need to work out all the little kinks, like how to water cool a 1RU.

Any advice would be very helpful.

so why are you watercooling the system

low noise?

the loop will probably want to be shut down taken apart and cleaned every now and again say around 12 months

although it wouldnt be in a U3 case you could get the parts to make a similar\better water cooling setup for a fair bit less

as for how to plum it i would probably try to run it in series depending on how many of those low profile blocks you need and how much heat is being pumped into them as they are rather restrictive

it looks like swiftech made some older low profile blocks that were far less restrictive and they are just a gpu block with a different mount plate

http://www.techpowerup.com/10561/Swiftech-...ater-block.html

Edited by Dasa

most data centers i've been to run much cooler than my loop just FYI :) About 21-23*c.

I assume this isn't going anywhere near a DC though, they would not let you install it.

if the top chassis begins to leak, the ones below would all probably get wet.

my guess is your servers are too noisy for the house and you want to keep them cool and quiet.

sounds like a good idea so let us know how it goes :)

Edited by p0is(+)n

Its too keep the noise down, currently they sound like a swarm of bees that can be heard just about anywhere in the house.

They are servers from an ex-business so they are noisy as hell, i never thought little 60mm fans could be so loud.

I think the fact that the water cooler is rack mounted makes it the top choice for my friend and the fact that theres a bit less work to do.

The 1RU servers dont run too hot so i doubt they will add to much load to the system and the 2RU will have blocks with 1/2inch barbs.

Can you get "splitters" to create multiple loops? as in 1 input out to say 4 loops?

I might start a work log and keep you all up to date as we progress.

you can split loops easy but then that can mean the blocks get less flow and temps go up

and if one loop is more restrictive than the other things gets worse still

as that pump has a fairly good flow the most i would split it is two ways and make sure there was a similar restriction in each with a 1u and 2u server in together

all you would need to do this is two Y fittings one at each end of the loop

Edited by Dasa