Hippiekiller

Will uploading a file effect my download speed?

I did have a quick Google on this but couldn't find a good enough answer so i thought I would ask the atomicans out there.

If i have an ADSL2 internet connection with a

DownStream Connection Speed of 19552 kbps

and an

UpStream Connection Speed of 1020 kbps

at the time the modem connected to the internet.

(The above was copied abnd pasted from my modems web admin page)

I start to download say 4 files that total 320mb from an FTP Server (the FTP server I would assume has a bigger upload speed then my download speed)

I would be getting about 300kbps download speed.

Not long after I started the download I then start to upload 72 files of approx 4.3gig in total size to a different FTP Server

I left the office for the evening (there's about 10 computers on the network connected to a gigabit switch, and all computers are connected at gigabit)

I logged in remotely to my computer a few hours later to see if my files had downloaded and they hadn't.

In the end it took about 4 hrs to download the files, whereas normally it would take about 10-15mins.

SO my question is why does my uploading effect my downloading speed?

I thought (and I suppose I am showing my complete lack of knowledge here) that your "upload" and "download" are like to separate pipes contained in 1 big pipe.

If i was browsing the net i could understand there would be some kind of performance hit as when you are surfing the net you are uploading and downloading. but as I was downloading from an FTP server and Uploading to an FTP server i thought they would be separate.....

SO my question is why does my uploading effect my downloading speed?

I thought (and I suppose I am showing my complete lack of knowledge here) that your "upload" and "download" are like to separate pipes contained in 1 big pipe.

If i was browsing the net i could understand there would be some kind of performance hit as when you are surfing the net you are uploading and downloading. but as I was downloading from an FTP server and Uploading to an FTP server i thought they would be separate.....

Nope no matter if your traffic is up or down it all has to flow through the same "pipe" or copper phone line or fibre optic. In short if you have traffic either way, from anywhere on the net, it will affect your speed. :) Edited by bowiee

I could be wrong but from what I understand...

Over a copper phone line up and down traffic have to share the same medium (the copper line) so more of one results in less available bandwidth for the other.

Another part of it is the way (I believe) TCP/IP works. Every packet received sends a little info back to it's originating destination (the server) saying it was received, and there's check sum, TTL etc in there too. Sending that back to the server takes a little bandwidth to achieve, that's why when you download stuff if you look carefully at your network activity you'll also be uploading a little too.

Reversing this, if you're uploading a lot over a connection there's not much room for a downloads TCP/IP overhead stuff to talk back to the server thus slowing the download as the sending server is waiting on "ok got it" packets sent from your PC, which is fighting for upload bandwidth with the big upload running.

Routers have something called QoS (quality of service) which could allow you to shape or prioritize certain types of traffic thus alleviating this sort of problem.

Another option for you. If you use something like WinSCP, you can limit the speed at which you upload/download within the client. If you're to upload at only say 80% of your peak upload speed you'll still have some upload bandwidth left over for surfing and downloading at or near peak speeds.

Thats why in bittorrent clients the upload speed should be a bit less than your actual peak up speed, so you can still download at peak speeds whilst still contributing back to the swarm. And if you set it a tad lower still, you can still browse the web and download at good speeds even when bittorent is just sitting in seed mode.

Another part of it is the way (I believe) TCP/IP works. Every packet received sends a little info back to it's originating destination (the server) saying it was received, and there's check sum, TTL etc in there too. Sending that back to the server takes a little bandwidth to achieve, that's why when you download stuff if you look carefully at your network activity you'll also be uploading a little too.

Reversing this, if you're uploading a lot over a connection there's not much room for a downloads TCP/IP overhead stuff to talk back to the server thus slowing the download as the sending server is waiting on "ok got it" packets sent from your PC, which is fighting for upload bandwidth with the big upload running.

You've nailed it with the above. This is what's happening.

I have question regarding this as well. i make use of netlimiter 3 pro and according to netlimiter i have a download speed of about 1700kbps. since my brother also makes use of the same connection to play games LOL and live stream on his computer and phone, i decided to limit my laptop to about 400kbps but he claims that can't even stream even though i only browsing and netlimiter indicates that i am using about 5 kbps. i also noticed about 2kbps is between our computers for some reason, from his computer that could be seen as an upload but would 2kbps really cause a noticeable lag? If not what is the cause of this lag he seems to experience?

Edited by Fuseteam

Have you also limited your upload speed?

If you have truly limited your connection (TCP and UDP) to 400 down, 100 up; and he's lagging, it means what he's doing probably requires more than the 1300-ish kbps he has left.

Get him to drop the quality of the live stream.

yes i have limited upload but to 400 i will limit it to 100 and see what happens

i doub i can get him to drop his quality since he'll think that i'm trying to control he does.........

does LOL or other DOTA use more 1300kbps of bandwidth if so how much?

it seems it might a different problem as when i did this he still complained, so i disconnected from internet but the problem seems to persist.

After i told him that I was disconnected he stopped complaining, but i don't know if the problem was resolved on his end.......

note: he complains by playing drum on the wall........

Edited by Fuseteam

yes i have limited upload but to 400 i will limit it to 100 and see what happens

i doub i can get him to drop his quality since he'll think that i'm trying to control he does.........

it seems it might a different problem as when i did this he still complained, so i disconnected from internet but the problem seems to persist.

After i told him that I was disconnected he stopped complaining, but i don't know if the problem was resolved on his end.......

For LOL and DOTA2, ultimately, its the latency is more important than bandwidth itself, especially if you have bandwidth to spare. However, in saying that, if you lack bandwidth, it has an effect on your latency. So both are interconnected. As a general rule, most online games don't really take up a lot of bandwidth, but latency affects the quality of gaming. Id be interested in seeing some speedtest results if you are so inclined.

Care to post your modem stats (assuming ADSL) or even a speed test?

For LOL and DOTA2, ultimately, its the latency is more important than bandwidth itself, especially if you have bandwidth to spare. However, in saying that, if you lack bandwidth, it has an effect on your latency. So both are interconnected. As a general rule, most online games don't really take up a lot of bandwidth, but latency affects the quality of gaming. Id be interested in seeing some speedtest results if you are so inclined.

yes here it is: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4727144557

to make sure i also test while downloading in another browser capped at the same bandwidth(400d/100u):http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4727159521

though the result might differ when it's 2 computer vs 2 browsers not sure.......

ps what i said about still being problem after disconnect doesn't seem reproducible. perhaps the modem need some time(less than 5 minutes) to redistribute the bandwidth or something, not sure............. and yes it is adsl but i have no access to it the isp doesn't want to give the account information, which i assume is necessary for these modem stats you mention....................

Edited by Fuseteam

and yes it is adsl but i have no access to it the isp doesn't want to give the account information, which i assume is necessary for these modem stats you mention....................

OK WTF is with that? However most modems are username = admin and password = admin, or password = password. Some are even blank passwords.

You could also try http://www.routerpasswords.com/ for your brand and model.

and yes it is adsl but i have no access to it the isp doesn't want to give the account information, which i assume is necessary for these modem stats you mention....................

OK WTF is with that? However most modems are username = admin and password = admin, or password = password. Some are even blank passwords.

You could also try http://www.routerpasswords.com/ for your brand and model.

i know right and appearantly their smart enough to set an custom password since none of those actually worked.....well except for password i haven't tried that yet......

can you guys tell me something based on the speedtest results?

Well @ 1.75Mbps down you are on a slow line. That's why the SNR and attenuation from the modem are handy as they can indicate a possible line fault.

So other options.

If you can beg or borrow another DSL modem connect it up, log in to the interface and check DSL sync. Should not need your ADSL account info for this to happen.

Also pick up the phone, dial one or two digits to silence the dial tone and listen for noise. Anything greater than a bit of low background noise and you definitely have a line fault. You report this to your phone service provider (the one who sends you the phone bill) as a voice fault. Do not mention ADSL at all, you are just reporting a voice fault. 99 times out of 100 fixing a voice fault will also fix any ADSL faults.

Edited by aliali

Well @ 1.75Mbps down you are on a slow line. That's why the SNR and attenuation from the modem are handy as they can indicate a possible line fault.

So other options.

If you can beg or borrow another DSL modem connect it up, log in to the interface and check DSL sync. Should not need your ADSL account info for this to happen.

Also pick up the phone, dial one or two digits to silence the dial tone and listen for noise. Anything greater than a bit of low background noise and you definitely have a line fault. You report this to your phone service provider (the one who sends you the phone bill) as a voice fault. Do not mention ADSL at all, you are just reporting a voice fault. 99 times out of 100 fixing a voice fault will also fix any ADSL faults.

actually as i live in an area where copper wire is used and 2Mbps being offered as maximum speed for my pakket i don't think it will go any higher......

As a DOTA gamer, I'll fill in the 'game specifics'.

No, dota plays fine on dialup, as long as the LATENCY is low. Anything above 80ms he'll be feeling, and CONSTANTLY bad latency is not the fault of bandwith use; but it will cause spikes.

If all he's doing is DOTA then no, its not your fault he lags; if he is livestreaming like you said, then he'll be completely hammering the upload speed of your connection and ANY use will make this fail (lag, stream dropouts, whatever).

He needs to stop livestreaming. If its DOTA people with the client can watch his games anyway, almost live (2 mins behind)

We might be able to crack that moden password too.

Does it offer a BACKUP option without admin login? If so often that backup file has the password in plain text inside it.

Failing that, you could factory reset it, then call them and have them provide the username, passwords etc. because you modem 'dropped its settings'.

Dont take their shit; "No you cant access something in your own house" is bullshit.