Sign in to follow this  
spankdmonke

Wifi problem

So i have a usb virgin mobile pre paid broadband thing which i was getting lag issues playing Starcraft 2, and i know for sure that its because of the reception in my house. Because all mobile phone calls are distorted with bad reception if any, all due to a tin roof. Same goes with the broadband im lucky to get 3 reception bars blah blah blah.

So i bought a pocketwifi hoping to get a better connection if placed correctly (even out side away from tin roof)

Problem is, my pc doesn't recognize any wifi, i cant remember if it used to, or if im trippin... the laptop im on now does see all 5-6 wifi connections in my neighborhood from the same spot as my pc...

I swear my Asus P8Z68-V used to see wifi connections... or am i just tripping and it doesnt even come with wifi as stock?

Thanks in advance

Your mobo has blue tooth but not wifi, so its not going to see a standalone wifi device. If the pocket wifi is plugged into your computer by USB then you will have to install the drivers for it to work. The reason your laptop sees it is because it has built in wi fi.

Oh by the way if you are limited to a wifi modem for the net in your area, and I choke saying this, but you need to be with telstra to get good speed and reception.

Edited by bowiee

noooooooooo.... i thought so -.-

this means i have to shell out more for a wifi device, unless maybe... just maybe i can connect it thru usb

Is it the Huawei E5832 WiFi modem on this page?

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/prepaid-mobile-broadband/

Unfortunately these devices have no facility for USB modem connectivity. The USB port is purely for use as a data drive (unit can hold up to a 32Gb micro SD) card and powering the device/charging the battery (not sure if all makes can do the latter).

So yes you would need a wireless card in the PC, either PCI or USB.

If your old 3g device is a huawei E173 (not sure on the E156) then it should have little cover on the side with an antenna port under it. You can hook up an external high gain antenna to this for better reception.

It apparently is the CRC9 type terminal so something like http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HuaWei-3G-Aeria...9-/320589969670 would help a lot.

or google for CRC9 antenna.

I have the pocketwifi with virgin, and it's completely independant of the USB connection for internet. It charges and is configured via USB.

Once you run the software stored on the device (should autostart when plugged in) you configure the SSID using the passcode stored under the battery compartment, and can choose your own info. Once that's done you're pretty much set.

I find that I get better throughput with it when it's plugged into a power source, but also in an area with good signal. So ideally you'll have it plugged into a USB charger somewhere in the room that has good signal.

Still it won't do too much for your SC2 lag issues, you're sending a signal wirelessly from wherever you live to the nearest cellular tower, to some base station somewhere, then to the internet and back. There will always be lag in that situation.

no, my new one is the vodafone one:

http://shop.vodafone.com.au/broadband-deta...one+pocket+wifi

ofc, an aerial for the old one... :/ never thought of that, oh well bit late now since i just brought the pocketwifi

seems i cant connect thru usb to get on the net.

but i was thinking maybe i could take out the wifi card from my laptop and put it in my pc... unless its a different type of connection to the mobo?

Edited by spankdmonke

but i was thinking maybe i could take out the wifi card from my laptop and put it in my pc... unless its a different type of connection to the mobo?

Nope not easily, the laptop ones are mini PCI and have two little round posts for antenna connection, just buy a proper PC wireless LAN card, they are not expensive.

PCI http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=18191

USB http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14478

Ok, so i bought the TP-Link TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter

and installed the latest driver from the www.TP-Link.com

and... nothing :(

My laptop is picking up 5 wifi signals from the same spot.

Can someone help me?

Have you actually connected to the wifi hotspot. You need to click connect on the relevant signal and if it is like the other couple I have seen it will have a WPS button on the hotpot. You click this then select connect on the PC and it should connect. otherwise read the instructions it should explain how to connect a computer to the hotspot.

Otherwise if it does not have WPS then

Your Pocket WiFi is password protected with unique security codes so that no-one else can use your WiFi connection.

The unique security codes are called the SSID (Service Set

Identifier) the name of the Pocket WiFi and the WiFi Key (unique password).

You’ll find them on a sticker on the inside back cover of your Pocket WiFi

http://vodafone.com.au/stelprd/groups/webc.../dev_008268.pdf

my PC does not see any hotspots/signals. Even with my pocketwifi right next to it and my laptop right next to my PC which is picking up 5 hotspot/signals from the same spot.

So i cant connect to anything

So i went:

Troubleshoot problems

Network Adapter

and it said:

"The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems"

I hit Next and it says:

"Problems found (Detected): There might be a problem with the driver for the wireless Network Connection adapter"

So i check in Device manager, Network Adapters, TP-LINK

and under the General tab it says This device is working properly...

read some posts about same issue, seems that older drivers works but are unstable.

Comments on new egg are all pointing towards a Atheros AR5008 driver.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by spankdmonke