Sign in to follow this  
Caelum

$400 or less Headphones - suggestions?

hey Caelum if you liked the sound of the ms1 you might want to actually try out the audio technica's before commiting to it...as you know i have the ms1 and i finally had a go at friend's ad700 and while i believe my friend's ad700 was just that bit more detailed compared to my ms1 i liked the ms1 sound more because to me it sounds more 'exciting' and 'live' compared to the ad700...if that made sense

Well, I liked the sound of the MS1's about 8 years ago ;)

They certainly were a lively set, however... Not sure how i'd go for long term listening with them though. And yeah, didn't find them terribly comfortable, personally.

I'm all for the detail... I love listening to my 'old' music again with new speakers and headphones, picking out the instruments that i've never actually heard before.

p0is(+)n: It isn't about imaginable gain.. Sure, you don't get 'better' headphones after you've spent $500+ on them(unless we're talking beats by dre, and then EVERYTHING is better than them...), but you rather get a 'different' sounding pair of 'phones... It's all about personal taste, after a certain price point.

Well, I liked the sound of the MS1's about 8 years ago ;)

They certainly were a lively set, however... Not sure how i'd go for long term listening with them though. And yeah, didn't find them terribly comfortable, personally.

I'm all for the detail... I love listening to my 'old' music again with new speakers and headphones, picking out the instruments that i've never actually heard before.

p0is(+)n: It isn't about imaginable gain.. Sure, you don't get 'better' headphones after you've spent $500+ on them(unless we're talking beats by dre, and then EVERYTHING is better than them...), but you rather get a 'different' sounding pair of 'phones... It's all about personal taste, after a certain price point.

atm i am using the grado jumbo pad with my ms1...very comfy (since it's become circumaural) and definitely bigger soundstage...i know people say that it sounds crap lose too much mids etc if i just use the jumbo pad without actually doing the ms1000 mod but personally i do think that's a bit exaggerated...still sounds damn good to me...so i guess that's an option for comfort

but yea with ms1 sometimes i almost forget the sound i am hearing is coming from a headphone because it feels airy and lively...whereas when i heard the ad700 it was yep that's a headphone...but that could very well just be me used to the sound of ms1 therefore preferring it over the ad700

i'd still love to give the ad900 a try tho lol

that makes sense, glad you know which advice to take and to leave :)

at $500+ my personal preference would be to buy a cheaper pair :P

good luck with your choice

I like the sound of the MS1s, but the standard pads are crap, circumaural ones would be better and more comfortable. I'm too lazy to get around to changing them though. And the open nature of the phones means while they sound good, ANY noise ANYWHERE near you detracts from the quality.