Sign in to follow this  
ollieman

Windows Vista Glitches

Today when i started my windows vista computer it started fine into windows then as soon as everything on start up had started and i had opened firefox the curser froze and the computer went unresponsive so i hit the rest button and tried safe mode. The same thing happened it just took about 2 minutes for it to happen. I then restored it to a point that i had previously worked but then it still didnt work :(

Anyone got any ideas?

Anyone got any ideas?

Maybe vista doesn`t like being installed on your iPod?

ie - Posting your hardware specs will certainly help....

I get 4-5 second freezes on my Vista 64 machine intermittently.

Freezes are often video card driver problems. Try reinstalling yours.

Posting your hardware spec would help.

whats your specs? most likly hardware issue

Q6600 at 2.4ghz

GA-X38T-DQ6

Ati Msy ati 3870

2x XMS3 1gb sticks

2x XMS3 DHX 2gb sticks (new addition) About a week old, first two i got were faulty but they were replaced and my machine hasnt blue screened since.

I was kind of hoping to get away with out reinstalling windows so close to end of year exsams :S.

Should i try installing windows xp onto a partition and see if the problems persist ?

whats your specs? most likly hardware issue

Q6600 at 2.4ghz

GA-X38T-DQ6

Ati Msy ati 3870

2x XMS3 1gb sticks

2x XMS3 DHX 2gb sticks (new addition) About a week old, first two i got were faulty but they were replaced and my machine hasnt blue screened since.

I was kind of hoping to get away with out reinstalling windows so close to end of year exsams :S.

Should i try installing windows xp onto a partition and see if the problems persist ?

Gah! I hope that you're runing 64bit Windows otherwise your system isn't going to even look at half your RAM!

As best as you're able to, test by substitution (remove as much RAM as you can, and swap out modules after each test. Do this with video cards or anything else you have spare. Remove excess hardware that might be causing a problem).

If you suspect faulty RAM, download and run memtest - you can download a bootable CD image that will just test RAM. The Ultimate Boot CD has this and many other diag software titles. Don't disregard the possibility of an underpowered PSU - what you got?

check memory voltages and run memtext or something just to see cause that could explain ur lockups. Also chekc temps and see if everything is seated properly.

if thats allright reinstall drivers

vista 32bit jks of course 64bit

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=7921

that psu in a 520watt version i baught it at the start of the year. I even loaded fail safe defaults on the bios, computer has been running fine for about 6 hours with the 4gb of ram removed :D

should i put them back in and run mem tester over night? or how long should i run it? can the mem tester on Hirens.BootCD check more than 3.2gb's of ram?

So with that equipment, 5 sata drives, one ide drive and 5x 120mm case fans abd god knows that else, I'm thinking your PSU might be a bit too much of a lightweight for the job (without calulating it out)

For future reference, never buy a CoolerMaster PSU. They have a shitty repuration, and while some of their PSUs may be okay, the fact that it's a mixed bag among that product lines make it best to just avoid them and go with something else.

Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Zalman and Silverstone all have fairly good reputations. Seasonic actually make the Corsair and I believe Zalman PSUs, and they just rebadge them.

I feel sorry for you given the batshit insane amount of money you've pissed away on RAM. You do realise running that DHX RAM with the non-DHX stuff means that it's going to fall back to the speed of the slower RAM?

Looking at your build, I'd almost say it looks like you've randomly picked parts to put together, but no, it's worse than that, it's almost as if you've tried your hardest to waste as much money as possible to biuld a really poor performing machine. It really is mind boggling.

Doing some quick math, you've spent about $1200 on the components you've listed. For that kind of cash you could've made some MUCH wiser decisions and you'd have a machine that'd absolutely mop the floor against what you've currently got.

For future reference, never buy a CoolerMaster PSU. They have a shitty repuration, and while some of their PSUs may be okay, the fact that it's a mixed bag among that product lines make it best to just avoid them and go with something else.

Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Zalman and Silverstone all have fairly good reputations. Seasonic actually make the Corsair and I believe Zalman PSUs, and they just rebadge them.

I feel sorry for you given the batshit insane amount of money you've pissed away on RAM. You do realise running that DHX RAM with the non-DHX stuff means that it's going to fall back to the speed of the slower RAM?

Looking at your build, I'd almost say it looks like you've randomly picked parts to put together, but no, it's worse than that, it's almost as if you've tried your hardest to waste as much money as possible to biuld a really poor performing machine. It really is mind boggling.

Doing some quick math, you've spent about $1200 on the components you've listed. For that kind of cash you could've made some MUCH wiser decisions and you'd have a machine that'd absolutely mop the floor against what you've currently got.

And the whole point of your post is what? To belittle what you think is an inferior system and not actually even try to provide some helpful input? Your opinion of the PSU brand is just that - an opinion. Go and troll elsewhere.

And the whole point of your post is what? To belittle what you think is an inferior system and not actually even try to provide some helpful input? Your opinion of the PSU brand is just that - an opinion. Go and troll elsewhere.

Uh, perhaps you need to reconsider the whole point of this forum section. Any advice given here is going to be based on opinions, opinions formed from first hand experience and from the experiences of those who you respect as knowledgable people. And it's not always just opinions. It's been demonstrated with imperical evidence that certain CoolerMaster PSUs are craptastic and don't even come close to performing to the level their specifications suggest they can.

As for the belittling, yeah, perhaps you're right and I could've been more tactful, but that's just me. The points I made, while potentially unwelcome aren't invalid. I appreciate being told when I've made soem monumentally stupid decisions. Critical feedback makes me see the bigger picture and make better decisions in the future. It's also worth pointing out that "that's just your opinion" and "that's what you think" can make you look pretty stupid. They're valid things to say when arguing politics, but if I'm holding a $50 note and you're holding a $10 note, then I'm holding more cash than you. I don't think I am, it's not my opinion that I am, I am, undeniably holding more. And I say, with confidence that his money could've netted him a far superior system.

</apparent trolling>

Uh, perhaps you need to reconsider the whole point of this forum section. Any advice given here is going to be based on opinions, opinions formed from first hand experience and from the experiences of those who you respect as knowledgable people. And it's not always just opinions. It's been demonstrated with imperical evidence that certain CoolerMaster PSUs are craptastic and don't even come close to performing to the level their specifications suggest they can.

As for the belittling, yeah, perhaps you're right and I could've been more tactful, but that's just me. The points I made, while potentially unwelcome aren't invalid. I appreciate being told when I've made soem monumentally stupid decisions. Critical feedback makes me see the bigger picture and make better decisions in the future. It's also worth pointing out that "that's just your opinion" and "that's what you think" can make you look pretty stupid. They're valid things to say when arguing politics, but if I'm holding a $50 note and you're holding a $10 note, then I'm holding more cash than you. I don't think I am, it's not my opinion that I am, I am, undeniably holding more. And I say, with confidence that his money could've netted him a far superior system.

</apparent trolling>

Can you link me to this 'imperical evidence'?

If this forum's search feature actually worked, then I probably could, but since it seems to think the word "coolermaster" and "extreme" are both <= 4 characters, it makes finding the relevent posts somewhat less trivial.

I believe it was tantryl who has provided info and supporting URLs detailing tests performed on some CoolerMaster PSUs that show a huge difference between specified ratings and real-world performance. If you spend more time in here you'll see it said fairly often, and by more people than myself that CM PSUs are, with few exceptions, best left alone.

If this forum's search feature actually worked, then I probably could, but since it seems to think the word "coolermaster" and "extreme" are both <= 4 characters, it makes finding the relevent posts somewhat less trivial.

I believe it was tantryl who has provided info and supporting URLs detailing tests performed on some CoolerMaster PSUs that show a huge difference between specified ratings and real-world performance. If you spend more time in here you'll see it said fairly often, and by more people than myself that CM PSUs are, with few exceptions, best left alone.

Well until I see evidence other than other forum member's opinions about Coolermaster PSUs my opinion remains unchanged. We'll just have to agree to disagree until then :)

Well until I see evidence other than other forum member's opinions about Coolermaster PSUs my opinion remains unchanged. We'll just have to agree to disagree until then :)

I don't think we're disagreeing as such, it's more that you're just unconvinced.

And while I think asking questions and wanting to see good solid evidence is a good thing, and something that'd be good to see in many areas of life, I think it's silly to disregard all advice based on personal opinions and experiences. There are people here, to me, clearly know their shit, and if I don't have first hand knowledge of something myself, I'm generally happy to take their advice as I value their judgment. And this is the case for me and the CM PSUs.

try $2,200 with out the 4gb of ram 12 months ago. It's going ok atm. Is there somewhere on the net that i can calculate what my computers power usage is? and what watts power supply i should be looking for?